Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

P2 files and Avid files

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Woody RetherfordP2 files and Avid files
by on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:04:34 pm

Once I use the import P2 media onto my avid drives, are the files then permanently avid files only? In other words could you ever make these files a standard P2 file that could be read by another edit system like Final Cut etc.or backed up as standard P2 files for archiving?
I apologize for not giving more editing equipment info (thought I was on the Avid forum) I'm using MC 3.1 on a MacPro.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: P2 files and Avid files
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 5:27:28 am

Once you import the footage into Avid, it gets turned into an Avid MXF file. The file name becomes and Avid name, and the audio/video affiliation is now controlled by the Avid software. This is why it is pretty important to keep the original P2 files backed up...those are your master tapes.

But, not all is lost. MXF4Mac allows FCP to see those Avid MXF files. It will import audio and video as separate files, but you can use the MERGE command to make them into one clip.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul BrubacherRe: P2 files and Avid files
by on Dec 4, 2009 at 2:35:15 am

Avid will play native P2 files, so why convert? We use the AMA Volume to look at the footage in a bin and sequence, then consolidate the footage we want to our Unity leaving the P2 files in there native format.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: P2 files and Avid files
by on Dec 4, 2009 at 2:55:36 am

[Paul Brubacher] "Avid will play native P2 files, so why convert? "

Who's converting? Avid is CONSOLIDATING. When it does that, it gets rid of the P2 file structure, and the P2 naming structure. Yeah, I guess you can copy over the P2 card dumps to the Avid Media drive, and then use AMA and just edit those without consolidating. If you do that then the footage stays in the P2 structure and format and can be taken to any other edit system.

It is when you Consolidate from the P2 dump folder that it becomes and Avid file.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]