Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

HPX Camera choices

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Chuck FaraceHPX Camera choices
by on Jul 24, 2009 at 2:57:30 pm

Hi I need to purchase a new camera to shoot primarily sports using tripod and handheld work. with some corporate jobs as well. Output to SD bulk of work DVD and web for now. I tried the 170 and found the lens on the short side and the LCD/viewfinder tough to pick up the ball. I have heard many complaints of bad rolling shutter on the 300. The HPX 500 is nice but more costly and not sure there is much issue since it doesnt do full raster like the EX3 from Sony. Bottom line My biggest concern is the turnaround time for basically a 45 min game to SD DVD in FCP6 and now 7. I have searched and asked about a good workflow that would produce good results in a reasonable time but haven't gotten much of a response.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Javier RamirezRe: HPX Camera choices
by on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:12:49 pm

Where are you located? if you are near Burbank CA you can always come to our store and compare cameras, we have them outside the box so you acn take a look at them, please check the new Panasonic AG-HMC150 camera that ist's a good one or the 170 it's fine too email Javier@studio-exchange.com or call 626 786 5542

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chuck FaraceRe: HPX Camera choices
by on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:46:09 pm

Im actually in Pennsylvania. I rented the 170 last yr, nice camera, but I found the LCD and viewfinder tough to follow the ball. the wide lens doesnt help me at 13X for sports. I realize you have to compromise though. My biggest question is more about real workflow in finalcut to down convert to SD DVD. 45mins of footage to DVD. How many hours on P2 or XDCAM?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve EisenRe: HPX Camera choices
by on Jul 25, 2009 at 1:55:47 am

I own both the HPX-500 and the HPX-170. I shoot with the 500 85-90% of the time.

Both are great cameras. I've been a Full-Size camera shooter for over 20 years. Now you know which one is my favorite. One very nice feature I like about the 500 is 4 completely independent audio channels.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: HPX Camera choices
by on Jul 25, 2009 at 5:07:15 pm

I think handheld sports screams, full size cameras, for lens and steadiness. The EX3 is also a CMOS so it would have the rolling shutter effect also.

I think the 500 for the money cannot be beat. Don't worry too much about the "not full raster" the bigger chip, better lens more than make up for that. Full Raster is nice but we have worked in the Thin Raster world for years,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike PlanteRe: HPX Camera choices
by on Oct 29, 2009 at 5:33:59 pm

Panasonic HPX-500 users, are any of you using a standard def lens? I'm almost certain that most of you have HD lens. Of course, the reason I ask is cost. I'm pretty much sold on the 500 but cost is becoming a reality, with cards, mic, accessories, etc.

Which lens would you recommend for the 500? Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Miodrag RisticRe: HPX Camera choices
by on Jul 26, 2009 at 11:46:42 am

Chuck,

You are right about only lens being 13x only, I'm finding it a bit short after 20x Canon lens for years...

But, you asked about workflow; I'm using 170 and the workflow is simple;

Shooting 1080i (or 720p if you want to save space on your cards - 16 GB card gives 42 minutes in 720p) then importing that in my FCP 5.0.4. Once edited, export from your DVCPRO HD timeline to Quick Time (current settings).
Resulting .mov file drop in Compressor and submit it to encoding to mpeg2 (best quality, 90 min setting) and .ac3 audio file.
Import that mpeg 2 file (.m2v) and audio (.AC3) to DVD Studio Pro, build your menu and burn it.

The resulting standard def DVD looks absolutely spectacular.

Mio

http://www.digitalvideovault.com.au

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 27, 2009 at 7:55:34 pm

Thanks for the workflow, just trying to find the best happy medium time wise with good quaility DVD.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ryan PratzelRe: HPX Camera choices
by on Jul 26, 2009 at 3:55:07 pm

Chuck-

We shoot 90% of our projects with the 500. We spent more than a year testing XDCAM, EX1 and HPX cameras before choosing the 500. You can load it with (1) 32GB P2 card, shoot at 720p 24PN and get 84 minutes out of the card. Or shoot 720p 30PN. If you are down converting to SD there is no reason to shoot in 1080.

I have been a shooter for 15 years and while I like the little cameras, the full size ENG/EFP cameras are hard to beat. Especially for shooting sports.

Workflow:
1) Log and transfer your footage.
2) Put into a ProRes or DVCPRO HD timeline and export with Compressor (Dual pass it if you have the time with the higher quality settings)
3) You are ready to take the files to DVD Studio Pro and burn your DVDs.

The down convert is effortless and the SD files will be beautiful.

Timing is all going to depend on:
*Your hardware and computer (for example: are you transferring from the camera or a capture device)

We shoot 90% of our work at 720p. Unless you're shooting for broadcast there really is no reason to worry about the 1080. (Especially since you are going to SD DVD.

Final thoughts on the 500:
1) Full size 2/3"
2) EXCELLENT buy for the money
3) 4 Independent Audio Channel
4) Flexible formats
5) Holds (4) P2 cards
6) Works seamlessly with FCP

We're down in Washington, DC. If you're ever down from PA fee free to hit us up.

Ryan Pratzel
Executive Producer
Creative Liquid Productions
http://www.CreativeLiquid.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 27, 2009 at 7:54:34 pm

Thank you, I was leaning towards the 500, was just pushing my spend limit some...suggestions for a second camera, more cost effective?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ryan PratzelRe: HPX Camera choices
by on Aug 1, 2009 at 3:30:22 pm

Chuck-

On multi-camera shoots we often use a second 500 (freelancer or rental).
But we also use the HVX200 or 170. Both are excellent B cameras and more cost effective.

If you can get the day rate and get the use out of it, the 500 is a great work horse.

Ryan Pratzel
Executive Producer
Creative Liquid Productions
http://www.CreativeLiquid.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael ShugrueRe: HPX Camera choices
by on Jul 27, 2009 at 6:46:08 pm

Please contact me off line -We can help you with a choice that will work for you.

Michael

Michaelshugrue@msn.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]