Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Petroff or Vocas Matte Box users help

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Phil YunkerPetroff or Vocas Matte Box users help
by on May 18, 2009 at 8:12:34 pm

Hello,
I'm looking into buying a matte box and I believe I have narrowed my choices down to either a Vocas or Petroff for use with a HVX-200A and also being able to use the matte box with a Century Optics / Schneider Optics .75x w/a converter.

I would like to hear the pro's and con's from current or past users of each matte box and if they are using a matte box with the .75x w/a

Thanks.

PHIL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: Petroff or Vocas Matte Box users help
by on May 18, 2009 at 11:05:47 pm

[Phil Yunker] "I'm looking into buying a matte box and I believe I have narrowed my choices down to either a Vocas or Petroff for use with a HVX-200A and also being able to use the matte box with a Century Optics / Schneider Optics .75x w/a converter.
"

I use a Vocas matte box (MB 250?) and have loved it from the moment I got my hands on it.
I use mine with french flags and eyebrow and I have the adaptor to use it on my EX also. I have found it as durable on my small cameras as my very expensive arri mattebox is for larger camera systems.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Phil YunkerRe: Petroff or Vocas Matte Box users help
by on May 19, 2009 at 1:51:33 am

Gary,
Thanks for the info.
Any experience using your Vocas with a wide angle adapter? pros / cons?

thanks.

PHIL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John FishbackRe: Petroff or Vocas Matte Box users help
by on May 19, 2009 at 2:52:19 pm

We have the Vocas and love it. We used it once with a wide angle adaptor (don't remember which one) on our HPX500 and had no problems. That said, you might want to try the adaptor and matte box together before your shoot to be sure. That's what we did.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 19, 2009 at 3:15:32 pm

John,
Thanks for the info. Can you expand on why you love the Vocas? Materials, ease of use, durability?

any one else using a matte box with a wide angle lens adapter on a HVX-200A?

thanks.

PHIL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John FishbackRe: Petroff or Vocas Matte Box users help
by on May 19, 2009 at 3:55:54 pm

I'm not the DP so I'm reporting what I've heard. They particularly like the eyebrow flags. Durability-wise we've had no problems.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim CarswellRe: Petroff or Vocas Matte Box users help
by on May 19, 2009 at 6:19:19 pm

As much as these posters believe in their Vocas matte boxes, I feel the same way about my Petroff. It's durable, flexible and dependable. Everything is where it should be and operates as it should. The one negative is that when I put on my Century Optics .75 zoom through wide angle and have the lens on full wide I have to remove the matte box and use the Century Optics hood/filter holder in its place. If I'm not going full wide it's not an issue. None the less, I still love the Petroff and would highly recommend it.

Jim

Jim Carswell
Spyhop Productions, Inc.
Savannah, GA
http://www.spyhopproductions.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 19, 2009 at 6:24:37 pm

Jim,
Perfect. That's the type of info I'm looking for especially about the .75 wide angle lens adapter.
Also, I did not know that there was a hood / filter holder for the century optics lens, thanks.
Thanks for the insight.

PHIL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]