Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Firestore

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Andrew ConnerFirestore
by on Mar 4, 2009 at 9:00:11 pm

I have been hearing and briefly reading up on the Firestore. What does everyone think of this? Have there been any major problems? I don't see why people are paying $800 for a 16GB P2 card when you can get 160 GB of space with the firestore.

Is this something I should invest in before buying another card?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Firestore
by on Mar 4, 2009 at 9:32:46 pm

The firestore is great in certain situations, but not all.

PROS:
- Long record times
- Ability to record to QT directly and skip P2 format
- Inexpensive

Cons:
- It is a hard drive...it is not all that durable. It is bad if you drop it.
- It doesn't do well in extreme heat, cold or moisture.
- Requires a separate battery
- big and bulky

So if you are in the African desert, or shooting the Iditerod in Alaska the Firestore might not be the best option. Jogging around, or in a place you might drop it...not wise. But other than that, perfectly viable. Just depends on what conditions you will be shooting under.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve EisenRe: Firestore
by on Mar 5, 2009 at 1:25:39 am

Will Focus Enhancement be around in the future! Just a the word on the street.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christopher WrightRe: Firestore
by on Mar 5, 2009 at 3:38:28 am

Shane pretty much nailed it.
The FS is absolutely great for long continuous shoots (performances) and also does very well on film shoots. It is not good for "run and gun" or lots of "in field" running hand-held shooting. And the FS part of Focus is fine, it was the server/rack equipment side that got decapitated.

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.3, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew ConnerRe: Firestore
by on Mar 5, 2009 at 1:36:46 pm

Thanks Shane! I appreciate the response. I work for a public school district where we do a lot of long performances. So I think this is a great option. Right now we have 1 16GB card which will be fine for our run and gun situations. I am going to give FS a try!!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

D. Scott DobbieRe: Firestore
by on Mar 5, 2009 at 6:17:29 pm

Don't be so quick to jump in. Just 5 1/2 months ago the FE Board voted to file for bankruptcy, and then resigned. Apparently even their auditor expressed doubts about their company for the past 5 years:
http://www.siliconbeat.com/2008/09/17/focus-enhancement-board-votes-for-ban...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christopher WrightRe: Firestore
by on Mar 5, 2009 at 11:06:37 pm

Again there were different divisions within the company.
The FS side is doing fine.
Regardless, it won't affect this person's desire to order a working FS today. I have had mine since the very first HVXs started shipping years ago, and haven't had a problem with either one of mine yet.

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.3, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

D. Scott DobbieRe: Firestore
by on Mar 6, 2009 at 12:54:47 am

Many companies have different divisions. It wasn't a sister division that filed for bankruptcy - it was the parent company. So, if there was a "decapitation" of the rack/server side, that was probably an effect of the bankruptcy. If that's not effective enough, other areas will fall.

At the bankruptcy filing, FE listed assets of only $9.69 million but debt of $37.4 million.

And yes, just as you can still buy a GM vehicle, you can still buy a working Firestore. Heck, even if the company folds, I'm sure you'll be able to buy a working Firestore... ;-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ron LindeboomRe: Firestore
by on Mar 6, 2009 at 1:51:51 am

[D. Scott Dobbie] "And yes, you can still buy a working Firestore. Heck, even if the company folds, I'm sure you'll be able to buy a working Firestore..."

Yes, and they are a GREAT piece of equipment. Just as Christopher Wright says, I wouldn't be afraid to buy one.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]