Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

P2 Card Formatting

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sam WaldorfP2 Card Formatting
by on Nov 19, 2008 at 2:40:38 am

I have been using the P2 workflow for a little while now with an HVX-200.

My method is to shoot, then copy over the "contents" and "last clip.txt" to the computer, and then I select each clip in the VCR mode on the camera and delete it.

But, I have heard of "formatting" the cards. What does this mean? Am I doing it already? What should I do different?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: P2 Card Formatting
by on Nov 19, 2008 at 3:21:40 am

[Sam Waldorf] " and then I select each clip in the VCR mode on the camera and delete it. "

Wow, that must take a while, eh?

YOu can format the cards in the camera. I can't remember the exact steps and I don't have a camera here, but it's in the menu under operation(?) I believe. You need to be in the VCR mode to do this with the thumbnails showing.

If you have a card reader, you can also use the P2 Formatter that's free from Panasonic. You can even name the card!

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt GerardRe: P2 Card Formatting
by on Nov 19, 2008 at 2:05:56 pm

I agree with all of hte above with one caveat-

DON"T COPY YOUR FILES IN THE FINDER!!!!!!

I've lost too many clips doing this, and I've even done side by side test, and 1 out of 5 times I do it, it corrupts a clip. Its usually (90%) the XML file that gets barked up, which is next to impossible to correct unless you are a whiz at reading and composing xml docs, which I ain't.

I had one clip from my sister in law's wedding vid that got knackered, the xml lost the connection between the audio and video clips, and therefor any software that tried to read the clip would see the video, but not the audio. FCP wouldn't even import the bloody thing. Tried repairing, and a bunch of other demo softwares. I eventually opened the mxf's in QT and merged them together there, but not after hours of installing demo software and trying everything else. Not sure how I could open MXF's in QT, but it must have to do with one of the demo softwares that installed some drivers or extensions or something.

I just set up a camera op friend with ShotPut P2, and it seems to be working well with the 5 slot panny reader. it would barf about halfway through the process with the Duel Adapter, but I'm not sure why. Might be a driver thing. He copies and creates backups with ShotPut, then uses P2Log to view and verify the clips and to do some rudimentary logging. Seems to be working well, and it is simple enough for him to do in the field.

Then he informed me that he wouldn't be needing to hire me as a field tech anymore....

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: P2 Card Formatting
by on Nov 19, 2008 at 4:36:10 pm

[Matt Gerard] "Then he informed me that he wouldn't be needing to hire me as a field tech anymore.... "

That's a bummer. You should have at least got a day or two of "consulting" out of it.

I too use ShotputP2. it is sweet.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt GerardRe: P2 Card Formatting
by on Nov 19, 2008 at 4:41:37 pm

I think he was kidding. We'll see, but you never can tell. I've gotten plenty of easy work from him, so no hard feelings. I'm pretty sure he will be back for more training. Might have just switched from field tech to support tech. Okay by me, no 5am call times...

matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sam WaldorfRe: P2 Card Formatting
by on Nov 20, 2008 at 1:59:17 am

But is "formatting" the same as deleting?

If I do clear the card in camera do I then have to format them?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marc BlakeDual Adapter, Mac, P2 Card Formatting
by on Dec 11, 2010 at 5:05:08 pm

Any way to format P2 cards for my HVX200 while it's connected to my MacBook Pro with a Dual Adapter connector? I have the Panasonic (formatting) software...but it doesn't seem to be looking for the card via the dual adapter connection. (Leopard)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]