Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Battery Tabs broken!

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Lars WikstromBattery Tabs broken!
by on Jun 19, 2008 at 7:11:12 am

2 years ago just before I got my HVX200 in May of 06' I remember reading a post about someone traveling with his camera over seas and when he got there the battery tabs were broken off. When I got my camera I was very careful with the battery and never traveled or packed it up with the battery attached.

Today I went to clean my camera (I have not cleaned it in months) and looked at the tabs and the top 2 were broken and the bottom 2 bent!!! I know this has been a problem with the camera and I remember Jan mentioning that it was going to be a part of the future cameras upgrades.

I am sending in my camera for a different zooming problem. It has been a great work horse shooting 2 to 3 commercials a week for the last 2 years.

My questions is, are the tab covered in a repair since many people have had this problem? Also when it comes back with the new tabs will they be upgraded to the new improved version, if there is one yet?

It is sad that after 2 years of babying the battery on and off I have broken tabs?

Any info would be great.

-Lars

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Noah KadnerRe: Battery Tabs broken!
by on Jun 19, 2008 at 12:10:03 pm

You're likely out of warranty period by now. That said it's a really cheap and easy repair AFAIK as just one piece of plastic has to be replaced. So even if they don't do it for free it's not going to be bad. You can always tape the battery in place in the meantime, but that's not reliable and adds an unwanted ghetto-fab look to the camera's hind quarters.

Noah

My FCP Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color and Win a Free Letus Extreme.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Battery Tabs broken!
by on Jun 19, 2008 at 3:46:04 pm

[Noah Kadner] "but that's not reliable and adds an unwanted ghetto-fab look to the camera's hind quarters. "

Hey now, some people like ghetto-fab hind quarters.

This happened to us and we got it fixed. It was covered under warranty. It's best to get it fixed now rather than show up on a shoot and have it busted. Ever since the fix, it's been golden.

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lars WikstromRe: Battery Tabs broken!
by on Jun 19, 2008 at 6:45:17 pm

I found this post and the guy bought the part and it was $110.
he did it him self and has photos. I will not do it my self and he mentioned something about $400 to get it fixed.

Are the new plates going to be the new improved ones or am I going to get the same breakable back plate?

-Lars

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 19, 2008 at 7:01:19 pm

What post?

They replaced the whole backside of my camera when I did it. It definitely wasn't the same design.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 19, 2008 at 7:03:50 pm

So the new one is strong then? Sorry I meant Tabs not posts. What did it cost you to have it fixed?

-Lars

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 19, 2008 at 9:00:20 pm

The new one is great. It was covered under warranty as I mentioned before so it was F-R-E-E.

Me likey.

[Lars Wikstrom] "Sorry I meant Tabs not posts"

You said that you found a post?

[Lars Wikstrom] "I found this post and the guy bought the part and it was $110"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 19, 2008 at 11:04:28 pm

I meant this post that was back in July of 06.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/193/860844

Since I have had my camera for 2 years now I guess warranty will not be covered. That is kind of a bummer since I new of the problem and I took really good care of my camera. Now that they are finally broken I might have to pay for this. I would have been better off breaking them when I got the camera so it could have been fixed under warranty.

This should be an upgrade for the camera that needs no warranty since it is a defective part. I am surprised with all the problems people have had with it there has not been a class action lawsuit against Panasonic, yet. My Ford Focus is out of warranty and I still get things in the mail that they need to replace of fix because it can cause problems. I would hope the same is for the camera. I will contact Panny and see what they say.

-Lars

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jan Crittenden LivingstonRe: Battery Tabs broken!
by on Jun 23, 2008 at 11:41:55 am

Before you assume anything, why don't you call Panasonic and ask them about it. That post that you pointed to is TWO years old almost, we were just discovering the problem and frankly I have not heard of a customer that was going to be billed except the gray market camera. I would think as long as your camera is in the country of origin you will find Panasonic to be very helpful.

The fix seems to be a permanent fix as the plate is more reinforced.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 24, 2008 at 4:04:09 am

Thanks Jan, That post that I mentioned from 2 years ago was the post that I remember because that is when I knew it was a problem. After that post I have been very careful when putting the camera on and off.

I plan to drop it off a a dealer in LA next week. I bought it at Able Cine in LA and I know it was not grey market with the price I paid for it.

Thanks for the heads up.

-Lars

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Clint BrennerRe: Battery Tabs broken!
by on Jan 6, 2010 at 6:30:08 am

@Jan:
Sorry, I just signed up to this forum, and made a post referring to this issue earlier that may not be as relevant with newer posts since the one google found. Now I have a great new site....anyhow.....
I have the same issue. However, I bought my camera from another person in the US. I have all of his information, including the original invoice from B&H. Is this "GREY MARKET", or what does that term mean exactly? Will Panasonic fix this, or are they still offering this repair at no charge. If so, to what address. Your help would be so appreciated!
Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Arturo MarroquinRe: Battery Tabs broken!
by on Jul 11, 2008 at 3:01:54 am

Lars,

I have had the same problem with broken battery tabs. Do you by any chance know the part number that needs to be replaced?

-Arturo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Clint BrennerRe: Battery Tabs broken!
by on Jan 6, 2010 at 6:22:21 am

Could you (or anyone with previous experience fixing this) PLEASE, give me the link, or post the one where the guy fixes it himself! I am pondering that same option. The part, $129.99 from Panasonic is not too bad considering.
Otherwise, most shops (including Panasonic's recommendation) charges some "assessment fee" of ($137.00 +/-), and then they will give you an "estimate". Note, you have already paid for shipping and they have your damaged camera, so you are at they're absolute mercy.

Thank you, very much!!!!!! I so need my camera for gigs, and can not show up with tape on my battery. Not to mention, it could still fall off!

Thanks, again!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]