Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Formating P2 cards

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
redrockFormating P2 cards
by on Aug 15, 2007 at 4:56:46 am

I have been using a P2 store for reading P2 cards and transfering them to a raid system. I recently purchased the Duel Systems adapter to read the cards. What is the best way to re-format the cards once I have them downloaded to the raid? I don't want to have to do it in the camera if I don't have to.

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Skelmose TVRe: Formating P2 cards
by on Aug 15, 2007 at 10:05:45 am

When you move the contens folder on the P2 card to your raid or hardisk you have to format your P2 card again. This could be done with some software downloadable from panasonic p2 downloadpage. If you copy the Contens folder it's still on the P2 card and all the Mxf files are there still too. This is very anoying. Panasonic launched some new software called"P2 contens management software". With this you can ingest the footage but it come up with a folder for each clip, why ? Then I cannot import all the files at once.
If you have to get the P2 card fast back to the camera for more recordings to be made - what is the fastest way to offload the P2 card and get it back into the camera - formatted?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

dgadirectorRe: Formating P2 cards
by on Aug 15, 2007 at 1:56:38 pm

No - you don't necessarily have to reformat the cards again. But doing so in the camera just takes a few seconds and doesn't hurt the card

As for clearing the cards without reformatting, I'm not sure what system you're using, but you can do it if you transfer your footage from your P2 card using a computer, either directly to the hard drive or an attached firewire drive.

Double-click on the P2 card to find a Contents folder and a Text file. "Show Info" or view properties for the Text file and uncheck the "locked" box. Now drag both the Contents folder and Text file to your trash and delete them. That's it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John FishbackRe: Formating P2 cards
by on Aug 15, 2007 at 5:17:05 pm

If you have a laptop in the field with you check out P2 Genie. It works with Mac and PC. It both off-loads P2 cards and formats them. And you can have it do that automatically. I don't advocate that since I think you should first play back clips from the hard drive to make sure all is well before formatting the P2. You can name your folders and have their number incremented automatically, or name them by time/date. Very nice, inexpensive program.

http://www.p2genie.com/

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.8 QT7.1.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.1.2, DVDSP4.1.1, Comp2.3, STP1.1, Motion 2.1.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neuman U87s, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mariusz_NYCRe: Formating P2 cards
by on Aug 15, 2007 at 9:46:37 pm

use P2 Genie, quick and easy way to erase cards

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

redrockRe: Formating P2 cards
by on Aug 16, 2007 at 2:31:33 am

Much appreciated gentlemen. Now I can unload my P2 store and put the money towards some more gear.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mattjgerardRe: Formating P2 cards
by on Aug 17, 2007 at 4:49:49 pm

I usually just delete the contents of the CONTENTS folder on the card, and don't seem to have any issues.

If I'm going to be shuffling lots of cards, though I use P2 Genie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

phospheneRe: Formating P2 cards
by on Oct 10, 2007 at 5:24:16 am

How to "erase" a P2 card with the Finder in 2 keystrokes....

1- the P2 card is mounted on your desktop
2- select the "CONTENTS" folder and press "apple-delete" to send the folder to the trash
3- press "apple-option-shift-delete" to force empty the trash

The P2 card is now ready for the camera. The camera automatically overwrites the old "lastclip.txt" file once you start recording again.

rock on
m/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

ksveniceRe: Formating P2 cards
by on Nov 8, 2007 at 9:29:07 pm

I tried the "erase" a P2 card with the Finder in 2 keystrokes method with my 16G card and I received a "format error" when I put the card back in the camera. I know some things have changed with the new cards and I think that the problem. Anyone know how to format a 16G card from the computer? I'm on a Mac.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Daniel HaworthRe: Formating P2 cards
by on Jun 11, 2008 at 6:53:54 pm

You fellas that can still erase P2's by unlocking lastclip, sending to trash, and apple-option-deleting, are you still on Tiger? My old PBG4 finally bit the dust, so I had to use my other Macbook Pro (with express slot & Leopard) to ingest, so had to get a Duel Adapter.

Unloads cards like a dream, but formatting the cards is not possible...I can't use that manual method anymore. It acts like it's sending to trash but the items remain in their folders. I think it's a Leopard thing, not Duel-related. I went to Panasonic's downloads page, dl'ed the latest P2 drivers (1.33, which are supposed to allow leopard formatting, according to this) and the P2 Card Formatting Utility just in case, but the driver causes an error when installing, as does the formatting utility when i select a card and choose "format".

Anybody having no issues with Leopard, Duel Adapter, and formatting cards? Please no "format in camera" replies, anyone working with DP's knows that's not an acceptable solution. Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lee AdairRe: Formating P2 cards
by on Jun 13, 2008 at 6:21:55 pm

Having exactly the same problem since I updated my MBP to 10.5.x, except that when I try to delete the content folder I'm asked for my password then it doesn't move anyway. In looking at "No Name"'s info, I see that I'm only authorized to read the card.

In last night's case, I was single-cam shooting a long meeting and needed to dump and reuse cards as they would fill up. I ended up pulling out my old Titanium PB since I couldn't stop rolling to format cards.

Additionally, I noticed that in using HDLog to transfer the P2 media, another folder level called "No Name" is created in the process which contains the content and lastclip stuff. PITA since now you've got to move the stuff OUT of that folder and up a level for FCP to recognize the clips in the Log and Transfer window.

MediaWorks, Inc.
Your Image is Our Mission; 'On Target' is Our Mantra; Satisfaction is Our Manifesto

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]