Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

HD 720p60 to a SD DVD???

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
mrshow555HD 720p60 to a SD DVD???
by on Mar 31, 2007 at 1:19:56 am

This footage came into work that was shot with the Panasonic HVX-200 in DVCPRO HD 720p60 format. So the footage has 60 progressive frames instead of the typical 60 interlaced frames making it 30fps like standard footage (my timecode count up to 59 frames instead of 29).

I'm about to export my sequence in Compressor to make a DVD for the transcribers. We're putting a window burn on the footage for reference.

My question is, since a TV shows 30fps (or 29.97 really) and since my TCG goes all the way up to 59 instead of the usual 29, what's going to happen to my footage/timecode when I try to encode it to MPEG-2 to make my standard DVD in DSP? Do I need to use special settings?

I think the jackass in charge of this project thinks 720p60 is 60i (he's pretty retarded that way).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

doka15Re: HD 720p60 to a SD DVD???
by on Mar 31, 2007 at 8:05:04 am

I shoot much of my stuff at 60p I do my down converstion in After Effects. If you create a normal comp in AE that is 29.97 SD then drag in your HD 60p footage into it and scale it down to fit the window. The just create movie and select your normal NTSC and select your interlacing Lower or Upper first (More then likely Lower feild first.)

AE is smart enough to turn you 60p into interlaced 30i.

-Lars

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Russell LassonRe: HD 720p60 to a SD DVD???
by on Apr 1, 2007 at 8:33:51 pm

Compressor should be smart enough to. Did you try it?

-Russ

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 1, 2007 at 9:37:06 pm

I just tried it in compressor. It coverted it from 60P to 30P. It removed every other frame. I tried it in AE and it was the same result. This might be satisfactory for you.

One potential issue with this might be that it deleted every other frame of motion instead of using the first frame for the first field and the second frame for the second field, creating one frame for every two progressive frames. This might make the motion smoother, but I'm not sure. I couldn't figure out a way to compare the two.

So in 60P, if you have a graphic that travels from one side of the screen to the other over three frames, on the first frame it will be on the right side of the screen, the second frame will be in the middle, and the third on the left side.

When converted to 30P the graphic on the first frame will be on the right side of the screen and on the second frame the graphic will travel to the left side of the screen, deleting the graphic in the middle.

Is this bad? Maybe. It might look better if it were 60i, but I haven't figured out how to convert 60P to 60i. Any ideas anyone?

I hope you like 30P.

-Russ

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 3, 2007 at 1:53:10 am

This is why I use AE for my 60p to 60i converstion.

Just bring your 60p footage into AE adn drop it into a 29.97 timeline. Then select lower feild first in the render dialog. AE is smart enough to see that there is more footage then it needs and turns the 60p footage into 60i.

-Lars

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 3, 2007 at 4:00:39 pm

That does work!!! Nice thinking. But I don't understand why. If in the comp, it is skipping every other frame, when selecting lower field first, why does it change on the rendered output, even though it's still skipping every other frame?

Thanks!

-Russ

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 4, 2007 at 5:31:26 am

I hear you. You would think that it would skip because that would be logical. But AE is smart. It sees the 30 timeline and the 60p footage. If you didn't select fields then I am guessing it would do the skipping like you mentioned.

Another example of this smartness is if you take 30i footage and slow it down 50%. It is smart enough to see the fields so frame 1 would be lower field interpolated and frame 2 is upper field interpolated and so on.

-Lars

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 4, 2007 at 4:41:40 pm

Props to you and props to adobe for having such great smartness!

Thanks,
Rus

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 5, 2007 at 12:12:49 am

I read a section in my friends book this morning with regards to AE. It says that AE is not a frame-based program but a time based program.

So if you turned on Frame blending you would see the extra footage that was not obviously being used but still accessible to AE.

It is a cool program : )

-Lars

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mrshow555Re: HD 720p60 to a SD DVD???
by on Apr 3, 2007 at 5:37:48 pm

yeah it worked fine, but I need a window burn that references the 60p time code. the Compresssor conversion interlaced the frames downa and my window burn frame digits are half the number from one frame and half from another. We need to send transcribers the footage with a window burn with the 60p time code so that their logs will be useable when we go to edit.

I guess the only way to do it is send them a Data DVD-R and they can just transcribe out of quicktime?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David BurchRe: HD 720p60 to a SD DVD???
by on May 14, 2008 at 2:31:13 am

I am having this same exact issue, except I am doing a multi-clip edit with two sources shot in 720p60 and one source shot standard def, 29.97i. Is After Effects the only program capable of creating an interlaced scan file from 60p, or are there others? I don't have AE and it seems kinda expensive to buy it simply for that function.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]