Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

FORMATTING OF "INTERIM" DRIVE for P2 MEDIA IN THE FIELD

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
shcutsFORMATTING OF "INTERIM" DRIVE for P2 MEDIA IN THE FIELD
by on Feb 17, 2007 at 3:02:21 pm

Hey all,
The producers of this show I'm working on are using Lacie Brick drives in the field for offloading P2 cards.
Yesterday, I had something a little scary happen. One of the brick drives (after I - luckily - backed up the footage) became unrecognizable by the computer. All I did was swap one of the Brick drives out with this one (using the sam USB cable) on the front USB bus and all of a sudden this drive was "corrupt"?

I shut the drive off and did a reboot but I can only initialize the drive through Disk Utility.
Okay, so I guess all that is for another forum.

MY QUESTION IS (sorry, the though of nearly losing 2 hours of interviews is still making me lose sleep over P2):
I want to reformat this drive for the field. They are using a PC Laptop to offload. Should I format the drive as FAT32? I was told that there could be some issues with P2 footage ingesting properly if you don't format your transfer drive correctly. Is this true?

Thanks all,
STeve

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

ArniepixRe: FORMATTING OF "INTERIM" DRIVE for P2 MEDIA IN THE FIELD
by on Feb 17, 2007 at 4:22:19 pm

If this drive is being used with windows, it should be formatted as FAT32. Otherwise the windows computer won't be able to see the drive.

Did you unmount the drive before you unplugged it? That's one thing that can cause a drive to crash. Or it may have crashed for any number of other reasons.

On location, I kept 2 sets of drives, the drives I worked from & a backup set that was mirrored from the main set of drives. That way if a drive failed, I could format it & copy back the data from the backup drive without fear of loosing any work or very much time.

The one time a drive did fail on me, I was able to recover the drive with Disk Warrior. The whole process from rebooting the mac to finishing up with Disk Warrior took maybe 5 or 10 minutes.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

BConoverRe: FORMATTING OF "INTERIM" DRIVE for P2 MEDIA IN THE FIELD
by on Feb 19, 2007 at 10:57:14 pm

So if you shoot on P2 and dump media to drives that have been formatted as NTFS . . . that will work, correct?
That is if you are cutting on a PC and not using Mac in the workflow.

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Barry GreenRe: FORMATTING OF "INTERIM" DRIVE for P2 MEDIA IN THE FIELD
by on Feb 20, 2007 at 5:20:39 pm

Yes that would work fine, as long as you're copying the card to the drive through a laptop. The only reason FAT32 is involved is because it's interchangeable between MAC and PC, and the camera itself copies to drives it has formatted as FAT32. Through a laptop you can go to NTFS or whatever, but direct from the camera it would be FAT32.

-----------------
Get the most from your DVX camera. The DVX Book and DVX DVD are now available on ebay and at Amazon (http://www.fiftv.com/db)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]