Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Let's talk long term storage...

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Rob RobertsLet's talk long term storage...
by on Mar 1, 2006 at 4:14:43 pm

Has anyone put any real thought into long term media storage. We have traditionally just backed up our projects and stored the info on hardrives (on a nice quiet shelf in their original packaging) and loaded them into a firewire drive for uploading into our X-Serve when needed. Well, we had our first drive fail to mount this week, after sitting harmlessly on a shelf for about a year. No biggie, we just had to recapture from the original tapes. Now I am thinking our long term P2 storage solution is somewhat flawed, since recapturing is not an option. Has anyone come up with a viable, and affordable, long term storage solution.

Also, for Jan. Is anyone producing a field "Porta Brace" type of case for the P2 Store?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeffrey F. KrepnerRe: Let's talk long term storage...
by on Mar 1, 2006 at 4:46:54 pm

Rob, we both must be drinking the same coffee this morning. I posted a similar question a few minutes after you did. (I swear I didn't see your post until after I submitted mine, I guess I took too long to gather my thoughts and hit send. Ha Ha)

Jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

doka15Re: Let's talk long term storage...
by on Mar 1, 2006 at 5:33:15 pm

I had also been think about that. The 2 ways I was thinking was DVD's or this box AJ-HD1200A. It's listed for $21K but I can dump to it. I was getting ready to buy the 1/2 rack DVCPRO 50 deck and with the options it was going to be around $10k. The extra money to have tape back up is worth it. Plus if you use this equipment in your business then it would pay for it's self one day.

-Lars

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

pkennyRe: Let's talk long term storage...
by on Mar 1, 2006 at 5:55:09 pm

I don't see why panasonic can't make an HD deck that has some type of DLT function, where you can archive p2 file data onto a DVCPRO Tape. (I'd like to see the dv tape transport on the camera have this function)

or I know one of their newer decks does firewire in/out, so you'd migght could just rent one for the day )(or go to a facility) and layoff your selects onto tape.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve FreebairnRe: Let's talk long term storage...
by on Mar 1, 2006 at 5:56:40 pm

Here is one option.

Get a CM stacker case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119039
put a basic computer together in it and then drop in 12 500 gb drives hooked to this raid controller http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816116033 and you'd have 5.5 terrabytes of raid 5 backed up space. Then just leave the computer off unless you are backing up to it or reading from it. That would run you about $6k. The stacker has excellent cooling ability too, I've got 9 drives in mine and they never heat up. The case is cool to the touch.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeffrey F. KrepnerRe: Let's talk long term storage...
by on Mar 1, 2006 at 8:14:23 pm

Steve, that's interesting. How is it attached to your NLE station(s)?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve FreebairnRe: Let's talk long term storage...
by on Mar 3, 2006 at 11:03:12 pm

Well, in my case, mine actually is my NLE Workstation, but if you wanted it to be separate storage, you could connect it quite a few different ways. Gigabit Ethernet, Firewire 800, Firewire400 eSata, Sata, even SCSI. I prefer to work with files directly on my system. I'd just use it to store files long term. In response to some of the other replys, yes, you would want to use a UPS, and yes, static electricity is a concern, but all you really need to do is ground your case to the ground in an outlet and then you won't have any ESD concerns. Basically I'm suggesting what apples sales http://www.apple.com/xserve/raid/ , but just doing it for half as much. Of course their method has those cool little apple's on them, but I don't personally think that is worth 6K :) I do know that apple's xserve is reliable since that is what one of the local tv stations uses for 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 HD editing. The other nice thing about the CM Stacker (and no, I don't work for them) and one of the reasons I bought mine, is that there is room for a lot of hard drives and a lot of DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drives and room for a pcmcia adapter for the hvx200

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

toke lahtiRe: Let's talk long term storage...
by on Mar 2, 2006 at 1:21:45 am

CMStacker is _nice_ and raid5 is a good option.
But when you are holding many years of work in it, I'd think another option also.
In case the case gets burned up with the house it lies in or get stolen.
HP's Ultrium 3 and maybe blu-ray later this year.
With those it's easy to make double back-ups and store them in another building (or continent..:-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 2, 2006 at 1:24:15 am

I forgot to ask that hope you have a very safe UPS behind the stacker.
Think about massive electric shock that brakes every hdd inside.
Or maybe two sets of hdd's where the others are always power off when
the others are on...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

doka15Re: Let's talk long term storage...
by on Mar 2, 2006 at 5:50:08 pm

Here is an article that I found. It is not here yet but they got it to work. Holographic disc storage. Pretty much a DVD sized disc that holds 1 terabyte or 200 single layered DVD's the articles says. 1 terabyte would be about 1000 munites of HD for this camera.

http://www.optware.co.jp/english/what_040823.htm

-Lars

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2006 at 12:41:28 am

Let's see what year these holographic storages will really be on the market.
One thing that is better with them than with massive hdd systems is that you can't accidentally erase gigabytes of footage if you use write-once disks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]