Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

New 2/3" 3chip HD P2 Cam

COW Forums : Panasonic HVX - HPX (P2)

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Luis CaffesseNew 2/3" 3chip HD P2 Cam
by on Feb 18, 2006 at 12:55:33 am

Here's a look at things to come:

"Panasonic Beefs Up P2 HD Line, Cuts SD Prices"
http://www.studiodaily.com/filmandvideo/currentissue/6080.html

Luis Caffesse
Pitch Productions, LLC
Austin, Texas

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Skelmose TVRe: New 2/3" 3chip HD P2 Cam
by on Feb 18, 2006 at 6:54:53 pm

lovely - this will be what we waited for - now we only need adobe prem pro to support MXF !

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pat McGowanRe: New 2/3" 3chip HD P2 Cam
by on Feb 18, 2006 at 8:09:38 pm

This is great news! We just rented the HVX200 for a greenscreen shoot and we love it but we want a 2/3" full featured version with interchangeable lenses.

We were leaning towards XDCAM but the 2/3" Pan looks like the best cam for the money for us.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

DavidRe: New 2/3" 3chip HD P2 Cam
by on Feb 19, 2006 at 1:07:24 am

Pat,

How did the HVX perform for green screen shooting? I have a series of interviews that I'll be shooting next month (24P DVCPROHD) and I suspect that it'll be fine but I haven't received my camera yet to do a test. Any tips you can pass along, or is it just as straight forward as shooting with a "normal" camera?

David

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pat McGowanRe: New 2/3" 3chip HD P2 Cam
by on Feb 19, 2006 at 4:02:58 pm

The HVX200 camera performed great. We did not do anything that we would not have done with an SD shoot against greenscreen. The results are very good.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BaldwinRe: New 2/3" 3chip HD P2 Cam
by on Feb 20, 2006 at 12:45:28 am

Is this a P2 Varicam with 1080i? Will it shoot DVCPRO50/25

Chris Baldwin
Shoulder High Productions
Media of the World; For the World!
http://www.shoulderhigh.com
newsletters@shoulderhigh.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BaldwinJan... question about timing of role out and price cuts
by on Feb 20, 2006 at 4:10:57 am

Also, the article says the camera will be annouced at NAB and will be available in November or so...(has everyone received their HVX yet). Does anyone know when these price cuts on the SDX900 will be inacted? What about the SPX800? Will that go down in price? I would like to buy a camera before NAB. The sooner the better. When can I expect these price reductions? I can't buy until I know. My earlier question about if this new HD P2 camera was really me trying to find out if it could record the variable frame rates of the SDX900, the HVX200 or the Varicam? And I am also extremely interested if it will be able to record both DVCProHD and DVCPro50. If so you dcould serve your HD and SD clients with one camera... Talk about THE camera to have! I'll take 3 of them! ... With a firestore or cineporter and affordable archiveable workflow that is and full MXF support in both FCP and Avid please ...

Well 16 gigs will probably be out and reduced one rung on the price scale by Nov-Dec of 06... 16gig x 5 = 80 gigs/80 mins of HD - 160 mins of DV50... I guess the P2 store would be valid then IF it least could ingest all 5 16 gig cards. Current P2 store only 60 gig...

Still the preported 240 gig cineporter blows that setup off the battle field as far as price goes.

Exciting camera though!

MXF support for FCPHD6 please!!!

Chris Baldwin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jan Crittenden LivingstonRe: Jan... question about timing of role out and price cuts
by on Feb 20, 2006 at 1:11:24 pm

[Chris Baldwin] "When can I expect these price reductions?"

Look here: http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?display...

Done and in place. The SPX stays at the same price.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, DVCPRO, DVCPRO50, AG-DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BaldwinRe: Jan...
by on Feb 20, 2006 at 5:14:40 pm

My goodness!

That's significant to say the least...About 40% off. I had two sales agents try to push this camera out the door on me last week at pre price cut prices. Scary.

So what about the new camera tba at NAB? Can't you comment? If it also can record the DVCPro50/25 formats it makes the SPX800 a cmaera with a 9 month lifespan. I desperately need to know this and if it records the standard 24p, 30p, and 60i formats with any variable frame rates?

Yes I could make the SPX800 work or the SDX900 for the next few years as many of my clients are going to be in SD for some time but I'd just love to offer 2/3" chip P2 camera in my market now. Paying clients waiting... but the purchase is significantly challenged by the new AJ-HPC2000...If it records both DVCProHD and PVCPro50/25.

Will you be able to release this info soon? A purchase is waiting?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Baldwin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter DeCrescenzoRe: Jan...
by on Feb 21, 2006 at 12:58:47 am

Hi Chris: Of course, anything's possible, but if history is any guide: If the new AJ-HPC2000 2/3" HD/SD P2 cam is planned to be released in Nov. of 2006, it's very unlikely to available before that. And, if the schedule slips at all, it might not be readily available for a month or 2 or 3 after that. In other words, the soonest a AJ-HPC2000 could be in your hands is approx. 8-10 months from now.

Between now and then, a wonderful cam such as the recently priced-reduced SDX-900 might pay for itself if one has pending projects which can benefit from it. Aside from the income it might generate, its cost might be written-off your taxes. Further, if you decide to sell the SDX-900 after 8-10 months of use, you can probably get at least 1/3 to 1/2 what you paid for it. So, between the income the SDX-900 generates, writing it off your taxes, and its eventual resale value, a cam such as the SDX-900 could be an excellent investment.

Also, if you fit the SDX-900 with a HD 2/3" lens, you could later use that same lens on the AJ-HPC2000.

Just a thought,

- Peter

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

toke lahtiRe: New 2/3" 3chip HD P2 Cam
by on Feb 19, 2006 at 4:38:04 pm

Hmm, no 1080p with AJ-HPC2000...?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

HRe: New 2/3" 3chip HD P2 Cam
by on Feb 21, 2006 at 7:25:49 am

My prediction is that it will record in 1080 24p using pulldown just like the HVX, as it would be foolish at this point to release a new camera without 24p support. Panasonic should be well aware of this by now.

I'm guessing that 1080p isn't stated in the specs because the DVCPROHD codec doesn't support it natively. To be compatible with all of the current DVCPROHD decks and equipment in use, they're going to have to continue to conform to that. However, there is always a workaround - and the "advanced" pulldown mechanism they've used on the DVX (and now the HVX) has served them very well as the solution.

Of course, I could be wrong - I've noticed there has been no mention of variable framerates in the press release for this camera (and no mention or comparison to "Varicam" either), so perhaps there's still another "big brother" camera to this one in the works. I'm really hoping, however, that this press release is just a bit thin on details and simply doesn't cover all of the features the camera offers. They only wrote two sentences about it in total (and only one of them dealing with the feature spec).

Panasonic is still hungry for P2 adoption, and the way to gain support now is to offer a 2/3" HVX, basically. With support for 1080/24p and variable framerates, along with removable lenses and a 2/3" imaging system, there's no question in my mind that a camera with those specs would be the one to beat - P2 nonwidthstanding. If they skimp out on the 24p and the variable framerates, it's just going to leave the consumer wanting more and throw a ton of support to XDCAM (which does support 24p, and would be the deciding factor for tons of users regardless of the lower bitrate codec that XDCAM uses).

I think the whole reason that Jim Jannard's "Red" concept even exists is because people are tired of only getting "some" of the solution in these cameras. At this point in the game, people want (and are expecting) everything. And frankly, we're at the point that it's completely possible and feasible to offer 1080p24, variable framerates, solid state recording, and interchangeable lenses in one system. Not just a few of those features, but all of them. I don't think anyone's knocking down doors for ridiculous features yet like 4K resolution or 35mm-sized CCDs. All of the features I listed are already available in one camera or another; we're just simply holding our breath for one camera that finally brings everything together.

I really hope this new camera delivers on all of those fronts; my personal feeling is that it's the only way they're going to be able to gain that incredibly sought-after widespread P2 support they need. As it stands, the camera doesn't even ship for almost 9 months and XDCAM is delivering much sooner.

Do the right thing Panasonic, and don't let us down!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Graeme NattressRe: New 2/3" 3chip HD P2 Cam
by on Feb 21, 2006 at 1:22:01 pm

Look at XDCAM HD where the >30fps progressive modes are half rez, so making them quite useless for their intended purpose of generating good slowmo....

Graeme

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 22, 2006 at 10:45:16 am

I hope they introduce "native" framerates with 1080 also.
It just sounds a bit silly to mandatory waste 20% of the bandwidth and storagespace just because of legacy compability with tapes that we are trying to get rid of.
With that spared bandwidth they could either increase the resolution or decrease the compression ratio (better if there would be option for user for both).

And 10bit colors, Infinity is coming...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 22, 2006 at 12:29:22 pm

Another thing I'd like to know is that, is the "pal" model going to be out before nab2007?
Seems to be that hvx200 (introduced at nab2005) pal version might not be out before nab2006...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Graeme NattressRe: New 2/3" 3chip HD P2 Cam
by on Feb 22, 2006 at 1:42:43 pm

Yes, 8bit has it's day's numbered. Got to move forwards now.

Graeme

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]