Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PHOTOSHOP:HomePhotoshop TutorialsForumIllustrator TutorialsPS BasicsPhotoshop PodcastPhotography Forum

Raw?

COW Forums : Digital Photography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
mhhRaw?
by on Oct 21, 2005 at 2:08:11 pm

Hi
Just bought a Olympus E1, want to get the best out of it.
Do I shoot a raw image then in photoshop make a tiff?
Sorry if this is elementry, just trying to sort out the work flow.

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Amish EdRe: Raw?
by on Oct 21, 2005 at 2:41:50 pm

I always shoot RAW because you can never go from a JPG or TIFF to an original RAW, but you can always go the other way.

Amish Ed
Dual 2Ghz G5, 4GB, running 10.3.6 w/QT 6.5.2, Black Majic DeckLink, AE Pro 6.5 w/BCC and Invig. 3D, PS CS2, AI CS2, FCP HD

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mhhRe: Raw?
by on Oct 21, 2005 at 7:32:59 pm

Ok.
So what is the advantage of raw.

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 21, 2005 at 10:29:20 pm

Here's a few advantages to RAW.

1) It functions like a negative, you make your adjustments in a RAW converter and it will open as a new file.
2) It is a lossless format, and the only changes to the data off the imaging chip are ones set in custom menus.
3) There is much more room for adjusting your image parameters in a good RAW converter, and then you only have to do minor tweaks in Photoshop.

These add up to much better images. While I always shoot in RAW; I suppose if I was only shooting for the web or was really hurting for card space I might not.

Amish Ed
Dual 2Ghz G5, 4GB, running 10.3.6 w/QT 6.5.2, Black Majic DeckLink, AE Pro 6.5 w/BCC and Invig. 3D, PS CS2, AI CS2, FCP HD

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 22, 2005 at 8:41:20 pm

OK You have sold me.
Any links to good articles on where to start with a raw image. i.e. setting whites/blacks etc.. seems a minefield!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 24, 2005 at 2:53:24 pm

Top of this page has some tutorials and some forums.
http://www.rawworkflow.com/

Have fun, and post if you get stuck.

Amish Ed

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 25, 2005 at 10:56:44 am

Thanks

The journey begins

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

bogiesanRe: Raw?
by on Nov 13, 2005 at 4:18:58 pm

Run to your nearest bookseller and immediately purchase REAL WORLD CAMERA RAW, 2nd edition.

You must learn how to use your camera's proprietary raw conversion software, too, but Adobe's Camera Raw, together with CS2 Bridge, will forever change the way you handle digital photographs and, possibly, change forever how you use Photoshop.

However, the reasons to shoot raw are tied directly to the end uses of your images. Raw is a completely unjustifiable workflow in most cases. Raw is a waste of card space, disk space and your time if your end products do not truly need to be raw originals.
1. Raw images are huge so you get far fewer on your cards and downloading them to the computer takes longer.
2. They are proprietary so they require a raw convertor and tremendous processing to open.
3. You must open them to cull them.
4. Accessing raw's higher functions also takes time; adjusting the white balance or exposure takes time.
5. Converting them to a useful format that other applications can use, TIFF or JPEG, can take a long time.
6. Do you save both the original raw and the processed output files?

Raw is tempting.

We do everything in raw for justifiable business reasons. That's why we're investing in Apple's Aperture without even thinking about it. If I can save two or three person-hours after each shoot, just by eliminating all of the raw processing just to make our initial selects, Aperture will pay for itself in about four assignments.

bogiesan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]