Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE DREAMWEAVER:HomeDreamweaver ForumDreamweaver TutorialsFAQAdobe FlashWeb Design

Creating a Simple Offline Form

COW Forums : Adobe Dreamweaver

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Joshua KlinkenbergerCreating a Simple Offline Form
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 2:46:27 pm

Is there any way to create a simple offline form?

I'd like to keep it simple because I do not want to install any server software on the mobile PC that we'll be using at the trade show. The PC will be running a full screen flash program or AIR program but we thought the form could be in HTML only it looks like the only simple way of doing that is via e-Mail (mailto:) which for us, is not an option as there will likely not be reliable internet on the PC.

Thought maybe Dreamweaver had some built in functionalities that may help but I couldn't find anything. The ideal solution would be a form that generates a real simple document with the input data collected, resulting in a separate file after each user is finished.

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard WilliamsRe: Creating a Simple Offline Form
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 3:08:13 pm

If you want to run some server behaviours locally then you will have to set up a local host. Not sure why you dont want to install this software on your computer though...? xampp is nice and easy to install and it will run your server behaviours nicely on a computer not linked to an internet by creating a local host, locally on the computer. It also has MYSql etc with it so its kind of an all in one package.

Once you set up the local host, you can set up a server connection witnin dreamweaver, using localhost and it works just like it would online, but itll be offline.

Richard Williams
p.s. Please remember to rate our post replies and tick if solved. Also, please remember that we here are NOT employed by Adobe, we do this out of love and fun, so its always nice to recieve a Please and Thank You! :o)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fernando MolRe: Creating a Simple Offline Form
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 3:30:38 pm

If you just want to test the usability of the form you can always use a cookie to save and use the form data.

You may be able to store your data in an XML file using just javascript, but I couldn't find any straight forward process (I haven't do this myself). You may want to google for that.

As Richard Says, installing WAMP or MAMP is the simplest way to do it. Dreamweaver has already all the behaviors you need to do this simple task.

I hope this helps

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joshua KlinkenbergerRe: Creating a Simple Offline Form
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 6:25:43 pm

Ok so If I install that software, will Dreamweaver help me create everything I need? I don't know PHP or ASP or Java or anything really and I have to have this whole form completed for a trade show by this weekend! That's why I didn't want to mess around with all the server type stuff because I have no time for problem solving and research haha.

On top of that, the laptop will be in the hands of other people at the trade show and it needs to be simple enough for them to launch the offline site so users can begin filling out the form.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard WilliamsRe: Creating a Simple Offline Form
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 6:45:30 pm

Yes,
once you install the software it will work in the background of your laptop... try this for installation... its for windows, but many other links on youtube

Richard Williams
p.s. Please remember to rate our post replies and tick if solved. Also, please remember that we here are NOT employed by Adobe, we do this out of love and fun, so its always nice to recieve a Please and Thank You! :o)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Alex McGreevyRe: Creating a Simple Offline Form
by on Feb 2, 2011 at 9:46:06 pm

Hi guys... in two days of searching and watching video's, this seems to be the first real post I can relate to! I am trying to use Dreamweaver CS4 to work with some form data. All I need it to do is:
1. When 'Submit' is clicked - Save the data in a text file (or any file)
2. Display the data on a 'confirmation page' automatically (like... "Name:David Email:david@gmail.com" etc)

No requirements for Server technology or for it to go live... just a local thing that I can then present to students. Do I have to have a crash course in Php? Please say no! :-)

Any ideas?
Thanks a million...
Alex.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fernando MolRe: Creating a Simple Offline Form
by on Feb 3, 2011 at 12:03:09 am

In Dreamweaver create a form with a named text field.

Now, in the Action field of your form place the link to your confirmation page.

And here you'll need some programming to display your variable. I'll show you how to do it using PHP.

Create your confirmation page and use .php (you need to have WAMP or MAMP as a local testing server and configure Dreamweaver to use it)

In your confirmation page just write:

<?php echo $_POST['name']; ?>

where "name" is the name you assigned to the text field in your form.

This will work, but you'll have no variables stored anywhere, to store data in a text file or a database you'll need a little more code.

I hope this helps

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]