Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE DREAMWEAVER:HomeDreamweaver ForumDreamweaver TutorialsFAQAdobe FlashWeb Design

.flv file wont work

COW Forums : Adobe Dreamweaver

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ashley McPike.flv file wont work
by on Oct 12, 2010 at 8:03:33 pm

I am trying to have a flash video play on my website, when I bring it into dreamweaver its previews fine, but when I upload it to the server, it comes up as a white box. I tried uploaded both .flv and .swf files and also tried uploading the files using different computers, but no such luck. I have read many forums, but none seem to help. Any ideas?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Debbie StoneRe: .flv file wont work
by on Oct 12, 2010 at 8:36:18 pm

I also am having this problem. It is a very simple image dissolving to another image in a div container on a website. There are about 10 images in all. It takes approx. 8 seconds to load with a white box sitting there the entire time. I have 120 sec movies (.mov) that start instantly.I'd like to use flash (.flv or swf)because most browsers support them. Any way to make it faster or loose the white box?
Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joshua KlinkenbergerRe: .flv file wont work
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 4:31:35 am

Just a little background stuff to make sure we're all together on this. An flv is a flash video compression (the only other one being f4v). These can not just be loaded onto a web page natively like a WMV or QT. Instead they require a player that calls (loads) the video and provides controls for the video - this is our SWF file. The SWF file can be very simple such as just player controls that call one specific file or they can be very complicated such as player controls with built video searching, dynamic video loading, and more. A major advantage to flash video (besides countless others) is that custom controls can be created to match a page's design (such as on my site, which I will post a link to if it's uploaded soon).

When you create your player (swf) it will have a specific path to the video file. This path can be an absolute URL, in which case you'll need to make sure the video is at the location; or it can be a relative path, in which case you'll need to make sure that path remains the same during upload.

For instance, I export my players with relative paths "assets/videos/___.flv" so no matter where I place the swf file on my server, the video needs to be in a folder called videos, which needs to be in a folder called assets, which needs to be in the SAME folder as the SWF file. Then I can link the the SWF file in my HTML page.

Make sure the paths are all accurate, if they are then I may know of other issues that could be occurring. Best to start with the simple checks first.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]