Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE DREAMWEAVER:HomeDreamweaver ForumDreamweaver TutorialsFAQAdobe FlashWeb Design

restrict access

COW Forums : Adobe Dreamweaver

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ignacio Vallerestrict access
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 1:39:02 pm

Hello, I'll appreciate any help with this questions that I have:

1- My client is asking me to set a link to a private area where clients will fill order forms after entering a name and password. How can I do this?

Thanks in advance,

Ignacio

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
Fernando MolRe: restrict access
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:17:17 pm

First: Are you using any programming language (PHP, ASP, Coldfusion)?

Are you going to have a master user-name and passwords or each client will have his own?

Are you going to manage the users or they will register themselves?

The setup and connections for databases can be tricky, but the apply of the behaviors to secure a page is very easy. So, this can be both easy and difficult.

Is this giving you any light?

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Ignacio ValleRe: restrict access
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 6:06:03 pm

Thanks very much, Fernando.

My client hire me just to design a very simple web with 5 pages and little information about the company.

But the other day he told me in advanced that maybe he would like to have a "Client Access" button where they'll be able to fill orders. "OK...", I answered, but what I really wanted to say was "Shit!!!!"...

What I'm trying to do is to be prepared because this request is going to come... And I'm new with DW... So I don't know nothing about any programming language…

Can you please help me a little bit on how can I address this two situations?

A- Let's imagine that the client is OK with just setting up a password to access just to certain pages/forms of the web site.

I think this is what you are calling "Apply of the behaviors to secure a page". How can I do this?

B- Let's imagine that the client wants to setup connections for databases. What's necessary to do this? PHP, ASP, Coldfusion? Programmers…? What else...?

Is this the same as having an Extranet?

Thanks very much again,

Ignacio Valle

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 7:00:12 pm

If you are not familiar with any programming language I can recommend you PHP. It's free and most hosting services have it.

This is important, the host service must support the language you are going to use. Check this with your hosting service.

In addition to PHP, you probably will have to get your hands dirty with some database. If you use PHP chances are that your host will use MySQL.

Both, PHP and MySQL are free and widely supported.

You will need to change the extension on the pages that use PHP from .htm to .php

To develop, you'll need to install locally PHP, a server and MySQL. I recommend you to use WAMP if you are in windows or MAMP if you are on a Mac, to install all the tools. Get a good look in the phpmyadmin tool, very easy to use once you understand databases.

There's a tutorial, here in the COW, on some basic PHP and MySQL, by Abraham Chaffin. Read it slowly until your head explodes, then rest half a day and read it again and again...

And I will stop here. This is really the hard part. Once you understand how to setup all the tools and understand the basics of PHP you can use Dremaweaver to connect to your database (where the user names and passwords will be located) and use the DW behaviors to protect your pages.

Until then, happy readings.

PS. Feel free to keep asking.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Dec 7, 2009 at 7:39:36 pm

Thanks, Fernando, I'll take a look to all this stuff.

But what about the easy way to implement a password to only some pages or forms of the web? Is there an easy way to just do this: clic on a link and it asks you to enter a password to see that page or fill the form.

Thx,

Ignacio Valle

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 8:43:25 pm

You will still need to use PHP for that. The difference is you wouldn't have to create an administration section for the users and passwords in the database.

You'll still need to define your password inside your site and for security you will need to hide it in an external document, calling it with a PHP include, hiding it from engines using...

There's no shortcut, sorry.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Dec 7, 2009 at 9:22:07 pm

Thanks, Fernando. I'll give it a try...

Ignacio

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
Richard WilliamsRe: restrict access
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:45:10 pm

Although this is ABSOLUTLY the done thing... there is a temporary solution to protect pages where you only want one password for people to access it...

I have used this several times before to save using a database when all you need is for osmeone to access a page to make edits to it, for instance if you are editing txt files and not database entries...

http://www.phpf1.com/download.html?item=12

It is part of the MAX's php free stuff, and its pretty handy tool to have in on your harddrive if you dont yet know PHP and MySql

If you understand CSS, you can alter the appearance of the login area so it can say Ignacio Valle's login area... or whatever else you want to.. Download it, unpack it to your root folder, then read the simple help file

Richard Williams
p.s. Please remember to rate our post replies and tick if solved. Also, please remember that we here are NOT employed by Adobe, we do this out of love and fun, so its always nice to recieve a Please and Thank You! :o)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Dec 8, 2009 at 4:11:15 pm

Tnks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 8, 2009 at 4:35:53 pm

Thanks for your addition

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy