Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE DREAMWEAVER:HomeDreamweaver ForumDreamweaver TutorialsFAQAdobe FlashWeb Design

Missing SWF skin in Dreamweaver CS4

COW Forums : Adobe Dreamweaver

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Kellen DenglerMissing SWF skin in Dreamweaver CS4
by on Mar 16, 2009 at 1:40:48 am

Hi everyone,

I'm having the hardest time getting my SWF video file created in FLash CS4 to properly playback in Dreamweaver, with the skin, and on the web.

I began with my .mov and created the SWF in Flash. I set it to auto play false, set the skin I liked, and all other properties how I like them in the Component Inspector window. I saved and exported the SWF. In Dreamweaver CS4 I am able to bring the SWF in and save/put the file onto my root folder hosting server along with the separate skin that Flash created. When I go to preview on the web the video will not play at all, it won't even preview in Dreamweaver under the properties window...

What am I doing wrong here? I have all the proper files uploaded to my hosting server root folder and the SWF plays fine in a SWF player.

I even tried making a separate flash with auto play - true and it would play that way just fine on web preview, but with no skin.

Any suggestions? I'm knid of new to this, but have a pretty good grasp so far (I think)...

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kellen DenglerRe: Missing SWF skin in Dreamweaver CS4
by on Mar 20, 2009 at 1:54:02 am

Hi,

I've tried around at a few other forums with no solutions yet. I was informed of some wrong leftover html that was sticking around on the page. I deleted it but am still not able to view the SWF in Dreamweaver or in the web preview mode.

Here is the link to the page. Sorry I forgot to post that earlier:

http://www.kellendengler.com/work.strictlyfitteds.html

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 23, 2009 at 5:51:11 pm

Hi, I still haven't been able to nail this one down. I'm experiencing the same problems no matter how I try this process. I am not able to view the SWF in Dreamweaver or using the web preview function.

Can someone describe to me or maybe point me in the direction of the correct way to embed a functional SWF file? This would be extremely helpful. THANKS!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Abraham ChaffinRe: Missing SWF skin in Dreamweaver CS4
by on Mar 23, 2009 at 6:53:41 pm

It seems like your swf file is blank... Meaning the file itself is the problem, not the html or what you are doing in Dreamweaver. You might check out this tutorial:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/chaffin_abraham/embedding-flash-vid...

It is for CS3 but it should help a bit.

Abraham

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 23, 2009 at 7:00:44 pm

Thanks Abraham, the weird thing is that the SWF file plays just fine in SWF/FLV Player, VLC Media Player, or Adobe Media Player - it will not play in Dreamweaver or Web Preview.

Do I HAVE to embed an FLV? I thought SWFs were optimal because they provide decent quality yet maintain a smaller file size?

Am I wrong about that?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 23, 2009 at 7:03:05 pm

The FLV is embedded into the SWF or played through the SWF file. The SWF file is placed into the web page. You can't play an FLV file through a web browser without a SWF file.

Abraham

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 23, 2009 at 7:37:53 pm

OK that makes sense for playback, but should I be exporting a SWF or an FLV from Flash CS4?

I have been making a SWF and embedding that into Dreamweaver. It just will not play back in Dreamweaver.

I previously had the page setup with an embedded FLV that worked and played back just fine. (That was the leftover code that I had to delete form the page.)

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 23, 2009 at 7:42:57 pm

[Kellen Dengler] "OK that makes sense for playback, but should I be exporting a SWF or an FLV from Flash CS4? "

You should be exporting an SWF from the Flash application. An FLV would be created in a video editing application such as AE.

[Kellen Dengler] "I have been making a SWF and embedding that into Dreamweaver. It just will not play back in Dreamweaver. "

Best to test the page that has the SWF in a browser. If it doesn't play in a browser you have an issue, not so much not seeing it in DW.

I suggest reading the article / tutorial I posted in a previous post in this thread for more detailed information on the workflow of embedding Flash video. That should clarify some of these points.

Abraham

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 23, 2009 at 7:47:43 pm

Yeah I'm going to follow that step by step on a clean new page with no html in it already. I don't quite know enough about it to find what could be a problem in there. Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James PattonRe: Missing SWF skin in Dreamweaver CS4
by on Apr 11, 2009 at 1:27:54 am

I also have had trouble getting the play-back skin to show up when I test the video or when I publish it. Oddly, I recently discovered that if I make the same video small enough, the skin is visible and works fine. This makes no sense to me, and is more than a little annoying.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fernando MolRe: Missing SWF skin in Dreamweaver CS4
by on Apr 11, 2009 at 5:02:10 am

I canĀ“t find the link to the skin controls.

If you access directly the swf nothing happens. This usually happens for two reasons:

1. some files have not been uploaded
2. some files have been moved from one folder to another (usually the controls or the javascript)

Could your problem be one of this two?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 13, 2009 at 2:00:47 pm

Well I have the SWF, Skin, and any created Java Controls made by Flash CS4 in the respective video folder that I had created for my project. Dreamweaver is automatically putting these files into my root html folder.

- Do all of these need to be in the same folder? I am pretty sure they are.

I am essentially only able to add/modify the default Dreamweaver Skins on an FLV. The skins I am able to select and use in Flash CS4 when creating a SWF aren't even showing up or being actively used in Dreamweaver for some reason.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 13, 2009 at 2:06:57 pm

It's working!

I can see your video now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 13, 2009 at 2:13:30 pm

Hey Fernando,

It is there now, however this is not the intended result I was looking for. What you are seeing now is a FLV with one of the default Dreamweaver Skins applied to it.

The SWF I created in Flash CS4 has a different skin that I like and want to use. When I post the SWF into the Dreamweaver page the skin doesn't show - just the video file so you can't control it.

Does that make sense?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 13, 2009 at 2:52:52 pm

Your actual Skin is defined two times in the code. Try to replace the name with your new skin and see if it works.

Your actual skin is defined this way:

skinName=Clear_Skin_3&amp

One thing I do sometimes is to generate the SWF with the HTML code in FLASH. This way I can define a lot of parameters and the software will create all the code for me. Then, open the HTML document created and copy/paste the code. You need to understand what you are copying, of course, the appropriate code in the header and body, but this way you can have better control over the movie than just placing it inside Dreamweaver.

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 13, 2009 at 3:01:57 pm

This looks like it may be the problem! I will try adjusting this once I get home.

Can you explain how to create an HTML doc from Flash? I didn't know that could be done. I thought you could only adjust HTML parameters in Dreamweaver...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 13, 2009 at 3:27:55 pm

Go to

File > Publish Settings

By default SWF and HTML are checked. Go to the HTML tab and there will be the magic. Select the options you want and click the Publish button. Your SWF will be created, but also an HTML file with the embedded SWF and all the parameters you just have choose.

Open the HTML file in Dreamweaver, go to code view and look at what the program has actually created for you.

Now just copy/paste

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 13, 2009 at 8:38:32 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the tip! I will check it out as I get a chance. This sounds like it might be the perfect solution though.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Heather MillerRe: Missing SWF skin in Dreamweaver CS4
by on Jul 17, 2009 at 9:06:53 pm

I am having a similar problem. Im not dealing with the flv format though.

My flash file/swf plays fine in CS$ preview and in flash player, BUT it wont play in Dreamweaver CS4 or when uploaded to the net.

Iv never had this problem with CS3. What gives?

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard WilliamsRe: Missing SWF skin in Dreamweaver CS4
by on Jul 17, 2009 at 10:07:30 pm

have you published the folder "Scripts" with the file AC_RunActiveContent.js in it?

Richard Williams

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David GoodallRe: Missing SWF skin in Dreamweaver CS4
by on May 5, 2009 at 1:52:14 pm

Hi,

I am having the same problem, and I suspect it might be a wee glitch in CS4, be it with graphics or code I dinna ken.

I'm doing long-overdue housework, and re-did a video tour section on our site. Made a MOV, converted to FLV, added to stage with PlayOver SWF. Saved, published, dragged into Dreamweaver folder, uploaded, Bob's Yer Uncle: Success!

I thought: "Why not put the skin BELOW the video? That would be nice."

I repeated the above steps (and after things had gone awry - I even went as far back as re-converting the MOV to FLV. Paranoid? Moi? I substituted PlayUnder for PlayOver.No skin. I tried all sorts of shifting about - nothing.

I redid it all with PlayOver - skin is back.

Thoughts? Comments? Gifts?

I might try a play under with a different skin. I'll let you know the results.

BTW - to save the hassle for you of redundant questions - I tried moving around the skin file to the root folder (where it should be), the Flash folder; I tried placing it from the template options, uploading it and setting a URL for it - I tried many things.

Cheers,

d

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 5, 2009 at 2:59:26 pm

As in a previous comment in this post: you probably only need to change the name of your skin in the code.

DW creates clean code, but it's not very good when you delete or move elements. You may think you have deleted the element, but if it has other code related to it (javascript, php) it maybe not be deleted with it. Sometimes it just doesn't select the entire code. This happens with lists. And this is kind of normal or expected in almost any WYSWYG editor.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joe ArmstrongSWF will play in preview in DW cs4 but not when uploaded to web?
by on May 11, 2009 at 7:04:14 pm

Hi
I can't get my SWF video file created in Flash CS4 to properly playback in Dreamweaver, with the skin, and on the web. It works in the preview but not when uploaded. The links are all good. I'v tried every suggestion that I could find and nothing is working. i'v put all the files associated with the swf file in the root and in its own seperate folder and neither way worked. Does any one have nething else I could try? I am fairly new to this.
Thanks anything would help at this point.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard WilliamsRe: SWF will play in preview in DW cs4 but not when uploaded to web?
by on May 11, 2009 at 7:51:04 pm

there aught to be a folder in your root called Scripts, and in it, a file called AC_RunActiveContent.js. Is this loaded up to your FTP too...?

Richard Williams

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joe ArmstrongRe: SWF will play in preview in DW cs4 but not when uploaded to web?
by on May 11, 2009 at 10:51:03 pm

The active content is loaded to the ftp.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard WilliamsRe: SWF will play in preview in DW cs4 but not when uploaded to web?
by on May 12, 2009 at 9:01:11 am

ok, can you post a link up then for me to take a look?

Richard Williams

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Anne PickerRe: SWF will play in preview in DW cs4 but not when uploaded to web?
by on May 21, 2009 at 10:01:36 pm

Have you found a solution to this problem? I have uploaded all files to the server. It plays on local (although without the skin), but not when using the web browser. I only get a white box.
any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there a bug in Flash CS4 regarding this?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 21, 2009 at 10:58:06 pm

it is very difficult to solve problems without seeing the page in question...

Richard Williams

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 22, 2009 at 12:23:36 am

the link is:
http://www.berkshiresnow.com/about.htm
I am new to Flash.
and please disregrad the position of the video there. It is just a test for now.
Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 7, 2009 at 9:17:06 pm

I have been trying to publish my flv/fla/swf/html flash produced files onto a live web page for weeks. Have tried all tutorials I could find always do exactly everything, it looks fine in Adobe Media, but nothing on website: I get a blank page with the skin only-See: http://berkshiresnow.com/snipflash/snippit_05.html for example. When I called Adobe helpdesk, I was told that there was an error message #2148. I do not get this message when I do this, but I was given a thread for this error message to fix my problem. I did it and it didn't help (probably because I never got this message myself anyway). Does anyone have a fix or some kind of insight on this??? I have got to get past this so I can publish all my videos on my website. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is not at Adobe I am afraid. I am not using Dreamweaver. Just Flash software (and Notepad pages).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 7, 2009 at 9:48:46 pm

the SWF still does not seem to be uploaded correctly to the server.

Let me explain.

You have embedded an SWF called snippit_05.swf onto this HTML.

Ok, so if you have uploaded snippit_05.swf to the server, the location of this should be http://berkshiresnow.com/snipflash/snippit_05.swf.

In other words, the SWF should be in the same folder that the HTML is situated in. So, if you type the address as above (or indeed click on the link to it above) then this should take you straight to the swf movie on your server. This seems to be where the problem lies, as you can see, it shows the exact same thing as it does when you try to view it embeded in the HTML.

Make aboslutly sure that the SWF is uploaded to the server correctly. If its not too big, try uploading it to this forum site (use the picture of the disk in the posting area). i want to see the SWF itself in its raw form then i will embed it into an html

Richard Williams

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 9, 2009 at 3:27:45 pm

Richard
Thanks for your response.
After publishing in Flash CS4 all the files are created for you and you upload them onto the server which is what I did. The files are all together in the folder called snipflash: the swf, the skin swf, the flv and the html page that was generated by Flash.

To test things, there is now an flv player.swf added to the folder that was used in a short html script and together they work to show the flv file. In this short scripted html file (called test.htm) you call the flv file. In the html script generated by Flash, there is no mention of the flv file so does this mean that the swf file is connected to it through the choices made while using the Flash software to generate all these files?
here are the two html pages to see what I mean:
The one generated by the Flash software: http://www.berkshiresnow.com/snipflash/snippit_05.html
The other html:
http://www.berkshiresnow.com/snipflash/test.html
where you can see the video.
Do you know if there is something missing in the html script of the Flash generated html page? or if that is not the issue, if there is something missing in the swf file that is not calling the FLV file?
Thanks so much for looking at this and giving me any insight.
Anne

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Eric HopesAssociating my two SWF files
by on Jul 14, 2009 at 4:22:38 pm

I'm obviously missing some important step somewhere, because I haven't been able to get a player to look even close to right. I went through Flash and exported my SWF's (one for the video, and one for the skin), but when I put them in dreamweaver, they come out as two unassociated SWF movies. The video plays, but the skin sits below it with a grey box inside and does nothing. I tried putting the skin within the tag of the video, but that doesn't work either.

SO, how do I put these two SWFs into my code so that they come out as a video player with controls?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fernando MolRe: Associating my two SWF files
by on Jul 14, 2009 at 5:28:24 pm

It's better practice to open a new thread instead of adding a new post to an old one. People usually look at the top ones in the forum page and you can get help from anybody, not just the moderators.

Without looking at your page all I can tell you is you do not need to place the controls, they are referenced. Just place your SWF. Also, don't mess with the folder structure. If flash created some files and you move them from folder to folder you will have problems. Also, depending on your Flash version, a javascript file is created and must be uploaded too in order to work.

Can you post a link to your site?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

zack gitlerFlash Flv Movie File Doesn't Play In Dreamweaver With Controls
by on Oct 1, 2009 at 10:53:08 pm

When I open up my the HTML file that flash created in Dreamweaver it plas fine with the skin but when I plug it into my webpage with plenty of space around it, the skin is not there.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]