Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE DREAMWEAVER:HomeDreamweaver ForumDreamweaver TutorialsFAQAdobe FlashWeb Design

Organizing in Dreamweaver

COW Forums : Adobe Dreamweaver

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jesse SooberOrganizing in Dreamweaver
by on Feb 7, 2009 at 10:25:20 pm

Hello,
I'd like to organize my pages and images into new folders with Dreamweaver, so do I need to update anything afterward, or will Dreamweaver do it automatically?

Thanks,
Jesse

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fernando MolRe: Organizing in Dreamweaver
by on Feb 7, 2009 at 10:55:12 pm

If you move your files and folders within Dreamweaver the program will update your HTML links.

But...

If you do this locally and then upload you may end with duplicated files. You'll need to figure it out how you want to manage this.

You can make a duplicate your site folder as a backup. Then, move your files within Dreamweaver. Be sure everything works locally. Delete all of your remote files. Upload.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jesse SooberRe: Organizing in Dreamweaver
by on Feb 9, 2009 at 4:58:31 am

Ok, so if I do all the organizing in the little "Files" panel in Dreamweaver it'll update everything fine without duplicates?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 9, 2009 at 2:34:13 pm

Not really. Think this way:

You have two folders in your computer with the same content. One is called "Remote" and other called "Local".

What do you need to do if you change the files inside the folder "Local" and want to update everything in the "Remote" folder?

If you change names and subfolders inside "Local" and just copy them to "Remote" you may end with duplicates. You need to delete the contents in "Remote" and then copy all the files from "Local".

But, you may want to make a backup of "Remote" before delete it's contents.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sam BrownRe: Organizing in Dreamweaver
by on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:05:07 pm

I did my organizing locally after my site was uploaded. This is my first site(yikes!)Now when I try to upload revisions (changes to existing pages) I get an error about possible server permission problems and my pages don't update on the remote. I'm guessing this is because my local pages aren't in the same place as they are on the remote. I saw your reply about deleting all remote files and uploading again. Would that be your suggestion here? I think I misunderstood the synchronization tool. I thought it would sync any changes I made to content/organization locally with the remote.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Sam

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:28:34 pm

The sync tool looks for files and folders in both your local and remote sites, then gives you a list of the differences that you can select to upload or download (put and get). The sync tool doesn't know if you want to delete or move anything.

Depending on your preferences, Dreamweaver can follow the changes on the files to identify the newer ones. Different reasons can end in DW doesn't recognizing the new files, but if you know what you are doing, you can select and upload each file manually, ignoring the DW warnings.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Mar 10, 2010 at 9:42:26 pm

The site that I did is for a fitness equipment company, it's not really "my site". Honestly, I think I got in over my head (for a first-timer) and I'm sure there are a lot of errors behind the scenes but the site looks okay. It's just that I had everything on the root and not in folders, so I went back to try and organize everything locally not realizing it would prevent me from uploading revisions. Do you think my local organizing is what's preventing me from uploading revisions?

This link is to my domain but I'm using it to test the equipment company's website. http://www.brown-studios.net

This is the error I get when trying to upload changes:
Started: 3/10/2010 3:45 PM

/sam195972/./site pages/free weights/free weight index/html/ - error occurred - Unable to create remote folder /sam195972/./site pages/free weights/free weight index/html/. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.
site pages\free weights\free weight index\html\free_weights_index.html - user cancelled

File activity incomplete. 1 file(s) or folder(s) were not completed.

Files with errors: 1
/sam195972/./site pages/free weights/free weight index/html/

Finished: 3/10/2010 3:45 PM

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard WilliamsRe: Organizing in Dreamweaver
by on Mar 10, 2010 at 11:41:21 pm

Hi Sam,

Shouldnt that read index.html and not index/html....???

It looks like it is trying to upload a new file called html, which is in a folder called free weight index, which is in a folder called freeweights, which is in a folder called site pages... etc...
It looks to me as if you have the wrong location specified in your settings.
When moving or tidying up files, it is important to do this all from within dreamweaver, and not just through your local computer browser. It sounds very much like everything is really mixed now. If you have it all working from within dreamweaver, my advice would be to go to the site view, delete everything from the FTP, and drag over your new files into the root and everything will then look ok, as it stands right now, you are only going to confuse everything.

Here is a snippet of a post i did yesterday... it may help you too.
"The other way to do this is to hit the button that expands the view to see local and remote site, which again in CS3 is located in the files window of your workspace. Then, if you press connect, you can see what files are on your FTP and what files are on your local machine side by side. You can then highlight the files on your local view (the right hand side normally) ans drag and drop them over to your FTP on the left hand side, thus ensuring that all files are copied over, you can hit refresh and see the files and their names in the FTP folder."

Richard Williams
p.s. Please remember to rate our post replies and tick if solved. Also, please remember that we here are NOT employed by Adobe, we do this out of love and fun, so its always nice to recieve a Please and Thank You! :o)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 10, 2010 at 11:59:23 pm

Richard, thanks for responding. By the time I got your post I had already deleted everything on the remote server and re-uploaded the site. Now it's really a mess. I did bring up the side by side views of local and remote, deleted all but 3 folders on the remote (cause I didn't put them there and was afraid they were necessary)then reloaded. It won't put some of the folders on the remote. Actually the most important ones. The folder called Site Pages, which holds a folder for each page and the folder call Nav Bars, which is in my Images folder. So now I have no pages and 2 screwed up Nav Bars.

After doing much reading on "housekeeping" I determined that the pages needed to all be in their own folder with their own images and html, as they previously been on the root. Was that wrong?

Thanks for your patience. What's the easiest way to fix this? BTW the name of the file that started all this was free_weights_index. The path to it on my local machine was site pages/free weights/free_weights_index/html/free_weights_index.html

I'm sweatin' bullets here. Everything was fine till I did the housekeeping. Please tell me I haven't totally destroyed everything.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 11, 2010 at 12:26:21 am

post your email address up here so i can email you. ( i can then delete it from the forum post once i have recieved it)

Richard Williams
p.s. Please remember to rate our post replies and tick if solved. Also, please remember that we here are NOT employed by Adobe, we do this out of love and fun, so its always nice to recieve a Please and Thank You! :o)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 11, 2010 at 1:11:03 am

Beemn so caught up in trying to fix this that I didn't see your reply. Here's my address:

sbrown@ms.metrocast.net

One new development has been that I corrected the blank spaces in some of the file names ( I knew better than that anyway) and it has let me copy to the server but it seems that links are not updating sitewide even though DW tells me it's updating. If you can get me out of this I'd gladly pay you a consulting fee....if it's not too rich for my unemployed wallet.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 11, 2010 at 1:13:51 am

ok, i have to go to bed soon so it doesnt look like im going to be able to tie up with you tonight.
Take a deep breath though... ive found the problem.

You have at some point, updated the file names but not from within dreamweaver havent you! Come on now... be honest.

The problem is that you have inserted _ between the gaps in the titles of folder names, which is a good thing... and well advised... but you have not done this from within dreamweaver.

WHAT TO DO.

OK... Pay attention.

Close Dreamweaver.

Naviate to your folders and undo what you previously did. I am guessing you just renamed them naviagting to the folders and clicking on the names of each, then adding the underscores. What you need to do is put them all back as they were, with gaps in them, so folder name Nav_Bars becomes Nav Bars etc.... whatever you did or however you did it when you added the underscores, go back over it and undo it all.

THEN...

Open dreamweaver, and click on the folders and images etc, and add your underscores. If you do it from within dreamweaver, it will change the code in all the pages to Nav_Bars etc... because at the moment, the index page is linking to images/Nav Bars/Top Nav Bar Images/nav_bar_top_r1_c1.gif, and in actual fact the link is images/Nav_Bars/Top_Nav_Bar_Images/nav_bar_top_r1_c1.gif

The otherway to do this of course is to add the underscores in by hand, but you would have to do this to every page so it will take ages.

You could do a find and replace... ie find images/Nav Bars/Top Nav Bar Images/nav_bar_top_r1_c1.gif and replace with images/Nav_Bars/Top_Nav_Bar_Images/nav_bar_top_r1_c1.gif, this will update every link on every page, then just repeat for all the other images that are missing...

Good luck, any problems give us a shout

Richard Williams

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 11, 2010 at 1:30:32 am

I PROMISE YOU there was only one folder that I renamed outside of DW. I say that wondering if I did it at another time but I for sure know that TODAY I did all but one from inside of DW.That was because it wouldn't give me access to it even though it's on MY computer. So I went to explorer for the folder named site pages and renamed it site_pages.

I will try your remedy but it wouldn't even let me copy those folders to the server with the spaces in the names. On top of everything I have the flu and am trying to focus. What a mess! Thanks again for your patience with the newbie who's in too deep. Is there no way to update links with it the way it is now?

Sam

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 11, 2010 at 3:43:33 pm

Hi Richard,

I wanted to update you on the final result and what I learned so that other's who may make the same mistake and get that error about "Access denied..." will know.

• FIRST - NEVER EVER PUT SPACES IN A FILE OR FOLDER NAME!
  • SECOND - TRY TO ESTABLISH THE ORDER OF YOUR FOLDERS AND FILES BEFORE YOU FINISH YOUR WEBSITE.
I did all my "housekeeping" post site development and while that might be okay for some, for me it wreaked havoc because I couldn't get the folders which contained my pages and navigation bars to copy to the remote server. Further, if I had folders and files inside of a folder, I had to change the name of the one's INSIDE THE PARENT FOLDER first before it would let me change the PARENT FOLDER NAME on the root. For example, I had a folder called "site pages" and inside of that folder were numerous other folders which I named according to the links on the site. One of those pages was called "power racks". I had to change the name to power_racks before I was allowed to change the parent folder to "site_pages". After I did this, then it let me upload these to server. Well then the next problem emerged...LINKS!

For whatever reason, they didn't update...I actually think the reason for this was because I freaked out during this ordeal and stopped the updating process after renaming the Nav Bars folder. I've got the flu and a deadline That's a lethal combination.

Anyway, all the links were broken and my nav bars were blown apart. For me this situation wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been because I built a template when I did the website so that my left-side-navigation-bar would be in the identical same place on every page. My header, footer and 2 nav bars were in that template. My index page was the only page that wasn't built with the template so I had to go into the code and correct the paths in the index file and then the template. Then I updated all the pages based on the template and that restored order to chaos.

I think I've given all the details and I hope this will help someone else. Richard, thank you for responding. Misery loves company and even though you couldn't hang out all night with the "freaked out newbie" your suggestion about changing the file names back to their original name, actually gave me the idea of changing the code in the template. Fernando, thank you, too. I appreciate what you guys do very much!

Sam

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]