Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE DREAMWEAVER:HomeDreamweaver ForumDreamweaver TutorialsFAQAdobe FlashWeb Design

Create A Forum

COW Forums : Adobe Dreamweaver

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Patrick Mc CabeCreate A Forum
by on Nov 28, 2008 at 7:37:45 pm

~I have been cursing searching for forums, and I don't like what I've found. I would like to create, (and by that I really mean download) a forum just like the creative cow forum. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard WilliamsRe: Create A Forum
by on Nov 28, 2008 at 10:29:37 pm

Hi Patrick

Your question is quite a difficault one to reply to, as firstly, creative cow really is for encouraging people to be creative themselves and design their own stuff.

A forum as you may or may not know, will have to perform around a database, and so you will have to use something such as PHP to create a forum site.

There are however a number of solutions to your problem...
one is that you could visit http://www.phpbb.com/ which is an open source, pretty popular way of doing it with help.

From experience, when you download alot of the free stuff that you can from the web, the instructions tend to be somewhat sketchy, which means that you usually spend just as much time working out exactly how things are working that its more time efficient to actually build it yourself in the first place.

Another option, is to go from forum to blog, and use the google blog maker, which again you can point to and even hold in locally on your own site.

Hope this helps

Richard Williams

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bret WilliamsRe: Create A Forum
by on Nov 30, 2008 at 8:17:15 pm

Also, check with your web hosting provider. Most good ones have install ready scripts already on the server. For example, on LunarPages (my host of choice) you simply go into your web site control panel, and then to a section called fantastico which is sort of their pre approved install ready script archive. Youi basically choose a forum, or a blog engine and hit install. From there it gets complex. You have to usually go into an admin panel and set up preferences for users and stuff. You also might want to edit the template files so that the forum looks like your own site. This can get pretty complex, since a page based on databases often pulls from 10 different pages just to create one page. All based on variables. There really is no easy way to sort through stuff like that. But if you're happy with the templates and mods others have created, you're good.

PHPbb is probably the most popular forum engine. Wordpress is the most popular blog engine.

In no case would creating one yourself be anywhere near faster than learning how to install one.

The forums you'll find on the web for download most likely won't be like the COW. It's custom built and is threaded based. Most forums and blogs are chonological post based, and show avatars and all that space taking stuff.

Good luck and have fun!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

makinde ayoDreamweaver won't start on my vista home preium
by on Dec 13, 2008 at 4:54:31 am

it was first macromedia dreamweaver 8,it stops at 'initializing files' whenever i run it and it disappears.i later installed adobe dreamwweaver cs3 thinking it would end the problem.whenever i run it,it hangs and will not even respond at all that i have to end process witbelwh the task manager.The details are below

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Dreamweaver_crack.exe
Application Version: 9.0.0.3453
Application Timestamp: 45dc22c4
Fault Module Name: xerces-c_2_6.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a7a6
Exception Code: c0000135
Exception Offset: 00009cac
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 9d13
Additional Information 2: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8
Additional Information 3: 9d13
Additional Information 4: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8

Files that help describe the problem
Version.txt
AppCompat.txt
memory.hdmp
minidump.mdmp

Some one please help me!!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Landy HerdoRe: Create A Forum
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 10:17:43 am

Hello guys. This topic is very old, however, anywhere you search on the internet in any of the single forums I have found, the answer to this question is always the wrong answer. I am also in need of creating my own forum. I have no interest on using any of the existing forums.

There is a major miss understanding in regard to "integration to your own website" most of the exisisting forums scripts out there will be customizable, and yes, you can add it to your website, but they all come with a completely different dabatase than your exisiting database and unless you have a very serious knowledge about how to integrate both databases (good luck with the code) the integration most people referr to is just adding a link to your website to that fourm, but your already exisiting customers registered on your website will have to re - register again to be able to access the forum.

I am trully interested on building one from scratch. If there is any tutorial I can follow it will be great. I have no interest in loading another database into my exisiting database. I really need it to be part of my exisiting database.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]