Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE DREAMWEAVER:HomeDreamweaver ForumDreamweaver TutorialsFAQAdobe FlashWeb Design

frames, iframes, other

COW Forums : Adobe Dreamweaver

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Larry Crossframes, iframes, other
by on Jan 18, 2008 at 6:06:38 pm

I currently have a selfmade web site that uses frames for the following reason - there are product thumbnails in the left frame which, when clicked, produce a large picture in the right frame.
However, I have recently learned that frames are the leprosy of website programmers, so, is there a better, similar, method to produce the same effect, and if so, what is it and how does it work?

Many thanks for an answer,
L Cross

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Abraham ChaffinRe: frames, iframes, other
by on Jan 21, 2008 at 4:44:38 pm

You can achieve this function in different ways without using a frame site.

The most straight forward method would be use just an iframe for the pictures you want to change. An iframe is a frame that is embedded into 1 page rather than a frame that partitions your entire site.

Another way you could do this is use server side includes to include the frame parts as a wrapper that doesn't change from page to page. You would include a server side include tag in the place of each page and in the place you want the controls for your site.

If all you are looking to do is replace images by clicking on links you can setup javascript that replaces the image with another image. This is probably what you want to do.
To set this up you would use the behaviors pane in Dreamweaver to set a swap image on click behavior for a link you have set up. You would set the href for the link to # so it doesn't actually go anywhere. You can read more about how to set this technique up in a tutorial here:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/chaffin_abraham/image-rollovers-in-...

If you want to learn more about these other techniques let me know and I will explain a little more fully.

Take care,

Abraham

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]