Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE DREAMWEAVER:HomeDreamweaver ForumDreamweaver TutorialsFAQAdobe FlashWeb Design

Adding favicon in Dreamweaver

COW Forums : Adobe Dreamweaver

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
stevem1928Adding favicon in Dreamweaver
by on Sep 5, 2007 at 12:58:27 am

I have searched the web for ways to add a favicon to the web address bar. I have already created the .ico logo and placed it in the folder with the index.html file. I can not seem to enter to code properly to get it to show up in the address bar.

I have searched Dreamweaver help files and the cow for how to to add the favicon.

Is there a way to add the favicon into Dreamweaver in the designer view?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

AbrahamRe: Adding favicon in Dreamweaver
by on Sep 5, 2007 at 2:52:41 am

To insert a favicon through Dreamweaver you go under the insert menu > Head tags > Link

Then you type in the address of your .ico icon graphic in the href, and where it says rel put in SHORTCUT ICON. That should do it.

In the code will look something like this:

<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.creativecow.net/icon.ico">

Abraham

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

stevem1928Re: Adding favicon in Dreamweaver
by on Sep 5, 2007 at 5:07:26 pm

Thanks. It worked like a charm.
I found the menu selection a little different in DW CS3
Insert > HTML > Headtag > Link

The html code also looks different. This is what it inserted.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

AbrahamRe: Adding favicon in Dreamweaver
by on Sep 5, 2007 at 5:09:22 pm

There should be a place where you can modify the

rel="SHORTCUT ICON"

part of the tag or it won't work correctly.

Abraham

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

stevem1928Re: Adding favicon in Dreamweaver
by on Sep 5, 2007 at 6:08:57 pm

I am not sure what you are referring to. It seems to be working,,,,but for some reason, the icon does not show up on the home page. It is showing up on all of the other pages. The code I show above was taken from the home page. I will go back and check to see if it is the same on the other pages.

Thanks for all of your help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Naiche LujanRe: Adding favicon in Dreamweaver
by on Sep 5, 2007 at 6:11:18 pm

I tried the same thing and it didn't work! I'm using CS3 as well.

tried two different codes snippets, kind of the same, but...

""

""

I verified that the .ico file was uploaded.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Naiche LujanRe: Never mind it just took awhile to materialize
by on Sep 5, 2007 at 6:11:52 pm

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marie deFontenay ColesRe: the dreaded favicon
by on Sep 23, 2008 at 10:18:13 am

Hi,

I've been following this thread about the favicon in dreamweaver but i not having much luck. I'm using dreamweaver mx and have entered

but no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Marie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve JonesRe: the dreaded favicon
by on Oct 27, 2008 at 4:31:41 am

Hi there,

I think this may help,

1) Go to insert,
2) Go to HTML,
3) Go to Head Tags,
4) Go to Link,
5)Browse for File where it says Href: (note your file must be inside your websites folder)
6) when you have selected image it should look like this images/favicon.ico
7) in the rel box type icon
8) Click OK
9) Preview in browser (we recommend fire fox)
10)Click Save you will see your favicon when your browser opens

Hope this helps

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jana brubakerRe: the dreaded favicon
by on Nov 14, 2008 at 5:43:05 pm

Hi Steve,

Sorry to bring up the so-called dreaded favicon issue yet again! I've been able to get the favicon to successfully work in the past when I was writing my own html with a text editor.

I've recently started using Dreamweaver CS3. Favicon not working. Read thru this entire thread. Deleted out my html for the favicon (which was the same as what Dreamweaver inserts anyway), followed your step-by-step instructions, checked the page in Firefox, still no favicon.

Any further ideas?

...Never mind, I've got it now. It occurred to me that if it is not the html in Dreamweaver, then maybe it is the image icon itself. I downloaded a Photoshop favicon plugin to save the filetype, rather than simply renaming the image file with a .ico extension. That seems to do the trick, in Firefox at least. Have not yet sampled other browsers...

Hope this helps future users...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve JonesRe: the dreaded favicon
by on Nov 14, 2008 at 9:38:51 pm

Hi Jana,

You are correct the image file needs to be .ico file format and the plugin is a must for making life easy rather than waiting to upload and download you images. Its a shame that Adobe did not consider this angle when designing Photo Shop CS3 . Now it displays in firefox great. the other browsers are a little behind if you want to see it done you can see my video on You Tube called: Dream Weaver CS3 How to put in a favicon on a webpage the next thing to do is record your actions in dreamweaver say you have 70 pages and need to put an favicon on every page it can become time consuming. But if you record then you can playback on every page and Dream Weaver will do it automatically for you. Just like the record and automation features in photo shop

Kind Regards
Steve

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Abraham ChaffinRe: the dreaded favicon
by on Nov 15, 2008 at 12:12:39 am

Hey Steve,

Check out this part of the faq and see if it answers your question.

http://forums.creativecow.net/faq/adobedreamweaver#48

Abraham

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gabe CoppRe: the dreaded favicon
by on May 28, 2009 at 7:57:46 pm

I'm trying to add a favicon to a site which, as Steve Jones mentions, has MANY pages. I want the favicon to appear on every page without going through the time consuming steps of opening each page in DW and adding the HTML, command, or going through the "Insert" steps. By the looks of Steve's message, it appears that there is a way to set a command to be played back site wide? Is this possible, is there an easy way to make a favicon apply to an entire site?

Thanks for the help!
-Gabe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fernando MolRe: the dreaded favicon
by on May 28, 2009 at 9:55:06 pm

Just place your favicon in your root folder and name it favicon.ico

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard WilliamsRe: the dreaded favicon
by on May 28, 2009 at 10:21:02 pm

lol... yeh, thanks dude, i was going to put that but started to doubt myself reading the other posts from before.

Gabe, for info: If you save the file as Fernando says, the browsers should pick it up automatically without any need for code on the pages.

Richard Williams

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 28, 2009 at 10:36:43 pm

Thanks for responding Fernando. I tried exactly what you said (as my favicon was not called favicon.ico but had a different file name). Still...no luck. Actually, now the favicon doesn't even appear when I open the pages where I did add the HTML before, and it had appeared in the past. Oddly enough, when I bring the page with the HTML code to my favorites bar (in Firefox) the favicon does appear. If I try this with a page that I did not add code to for the favicon, I juts get the default "paper" icon which firefox has.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 28, 2009 at 11:20:01 pm

Maybe the fact of you having another favicon and some code in your HTML is messing with the display. Remove the code on one of your pages and delete if from your favorites (the favicon only is recoded when you add it, it doesn't update) and see if that works.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 29, 2009 at 12:08:29 am

GENIUS! Thanks Fernando. I had the older image and some code in 6 pages out of about oh...too many to count, but it seems to be that was the issue!

Thanks for all the help!

-Gabe

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 29, 2009 at 3:25:26 am

If you have the same code in many pages remember you can use the "find and replace tool".

Find the code and replace it with nothing. That will erase it. do the search in all of your site.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ron RaffanRe: the dreaded favicon
by on Nov 28, 2009 at 6:23:59 pm

I created a 16X16 Icon. I put it in the root directory. I also added the following code to the template . i uploaded all this to my site. Firefox displays my Favicon but Internet explorer 8 does not. Any ideas???

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 28, 2009 at 9:17:46 pm

Can you post a link to your site?

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 28, 2009 at 9:54:41 pm

one thing you must make sure of is that you completely clear your browser history and check your site again afterwards... It is not something that will load on the update of a site... Also, post a link please if this does not cure it and we can look

Richard Williams
p.s. Please remember to rate our post replies and tick if solved. Also, please remember that we here are NOT employed by Adobe, we do this out of love and fun, so its always nice to recieve a Please and Thank You! :o)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joe MaguireRe: the dreaded favicon
by on Jul 30, 2009 at 6:23:49 pm

I'm nowhere near expert level at Dreamweaver (see some of my posts and you'll know what I mean), but one of the things I am learning is the advantage of creating a template file and then using File - New - Page From Template to create new pages. If you put the favicon link in the template, any pages you create subsequently will have the link already in there.

The website I inherited at work did not make use of templates, but my new site most definitely will! I've also created a couple of websites (one for personal use, the other for my brother-in-law's consulting business) using templates as the base doc, and that has worked great!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 30, 2009 at 7:41:27 pm

is this a question or a statement?

Actually, the favicon needs no code, unless you are suing an animated one. If the file is saved to the root as favicon.ico then the broswers will pick it up in every page that is in that root directory.

Richard Williams
p.s. Please remember to rate our post replies and tick if solved. Also, please remember that we here are NOT employed by Adobe, we do this out of love and fun, so its always nice to recieve a Please and Thank You! :o)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jay brownRe: the dreaded favicon
by on Jul 31, 2009 at 8:37:58 am

Hi

I have read all the above solutions and just tried all and the latest solution (offline), of placing it in the root with no code.

Man Im stumped I just cant get it to show. Im sure the plugin is fine.....any thoughts please?

site is http://www.acutusdesign.com

many thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Jul 31, 2009 at 2:13:47 pm

Actually, your page is working fine... your page does have code in it, it is pointing to folder images for the favicon... so, if you go to http://www.acutusdesign.com/images/favicon.ico you can see that it is there... but its BLANK! So, when you go to the URL, it blanks the space where the favicon, or the standard "e" would normally go if you view in IE with no favicon. Check to see why this favicon is blank and save your actual one in this file, BUT remember to clear the Cache first before you test it otherwise it still wont show. If you change the favicon in a website you visit roften, you must clear the cache for you to see its change as it does not update on every visit.

Richard Williams

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Paula EideRe: the dreaded favicon
by on Jul 31, 2009 at 10:40:25 pm

OH excellent - It took a few tries, but I got it. Thanks so much for the help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jay brownRe: the dreaded favicon
by on Aug 9, 2009 at 1:51:52 am

Thanks Richard will do

If I had any hair it would be pulled out by now........

cheers mate

Ive googled it already - Thats why I am here

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Suzanne LongRe: Adding favicon in Dreamweaver
by on Jan 16, 2010 at 3:43:08 am

Do you have to paste the code into every page on my site, or should it be put in the template and will it update to every page or... how does that work?

thank you

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard WilliamsRe: Adding favicon in Dreamweaver
by on Jan 16, 2010 at 5:57:08 am

you dont need any code... just make sure the favicon is in the root folder... thats all you need to do... AND RESET YOUR INTERNET CASHE as stated in the other replies on this post otherwise you wont see it when you test.

Richard Williams

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Denise AlbrightRe: Adding favicon in Dreamweaver
by on Nov 16, 2011 at 11:14:17 pm

Hey Abraham,

Is the above info still relevant? I'd like to add a favicon to my site but have been unsuccessful...with and without using the code you listed above. In conversation today with tech support from 1and1.com (my host package with them includes Dreamweaver), he said that a line of code is no longer necessary. Having the favicon.ico available in the root folder where the index.html lives is sufficient. However, that's not working either!

My site: http://www.denisealbright.com
I created a favicon.ico using the Photoshop plug-in.

Can you guide me further?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Denise

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fernando MolRe: Adding favicon in Dreamweaver
by on Nov 16, 2011 at 11:48:46 pm

Your favicon IS working.

Clear the caché on your browser or try a different one to see it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kim DeichmannRe: Adding favicon in Dreamweaver
by on Sep 18, 2009 at 5:29:36 pm

I've added the favicon logo in Dreamweaver and it displays nicely in Safari and Firefox on both a Mac and PC. How do I get it to display in the new Explorer. Explorer doesn't show any favicons for any site? Can I do something in the Explorer settings?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt WiseAdding favicon in Dreamweaver
by on Nov 12, 2009 at 8:56:41 am

I have tried multiple times to add a Favicon to my site, and even in the previews of Dreamweaver, it doesn't appear. After writing in the code, I have tried previewing it in Safari, Firefox and Opera and the icon never works. The code I use is below. Please help! Thanks so much.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 12, 2009 at 1:22:05 pm

You don't really need any code.

Just place your favicon in your root folder, not in the images folder.

*Remember to share a link to your site and to rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

laura hughes mcgrathRe: Adding favicon in Dreamweaver
by on May 27, 2010 at 4:59:34 am

Hi...I'm still using dreamweaver 4.1 Is it posible to add a favicon in it? How do I do this?
Thanks,
L.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 27, 2010 at 2:09:17 pm

Yes.

Read the FAQ, there's the how.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rob FlowersRe: Adding favicon in Dreamweaver
by on Feb 22, 2011 at 4:06:47 pm

Hey
I'm trying to add an animated favicon to my site - http://www.mrrickandmrsteve.com

I've got it to work on my landing page and my homepage but then it switches to a older static version of it that I removed from the root folder but it still shows up. All the pages bar the landing page are made from the same template.

How do the animated version to show on all the pages?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 22, 2011 at 6:45:09 pm

You don't need any code to use a favicon. Just place it in the root.

Is this your favicon?

http://easily.co.uk/favicon.ico

Because it shows no animation at all.

Anyway, favicons are stored in the cache of your browser, so in order to view it work you need to clean the cache.

I hope this helps

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rob FlowersRe: Adding favicon in Dreamweaver
by on Feb 22, 2011 at 6:59:40 pm

Hey

Thanks for that. No my favicon is an animated gif, it appears here - http://mrrickandmrsteve.co.uk/ and here - http://mrrickandmrsteve.co.uk/homepage.html but not on any other pages even though I've added the same code to the template I used for all the pages bar the landing page.

The one you sent me is for my hosting provider.

I thought you had to put in some code if you were using an animated giff as the favicon?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 22, 2011 at 7:40:42 pm

Choose only one favicon (right now you have two), clean your cache and test.

I hope this helps

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter MyersRe: Adding favicon in Dreamweaver
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 1:54:03 pm

Looked through the above and can't find a solution to my problem.

I have tried this with and without coding and can't work out how to get around this issue.

We basically have two domain names:

http://www.rivieratextiles.co.uk
http://www.rivahome.com

The favicon appears when I use the rivieratextiles.co.uk web address
The favicon does not appear when I use the rivahom.com web address

They both use the same site and coding but the rivahome.com address forwards you on to the rivieratextiles.co.uk domain.

Any ideas?!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]