Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE FLASH:HomeFlash ForumFlash TutorialsFlash Video TutorialsWeb Streaming ForumAdobe FlashPodcast

Video runs smooth in Flash, but choppy in Internet Explorer

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
AndraVideo runs smooth in Flash, but choppy in Internet Explorer
by on Jul 27, 2006 at 1:40:56 pm

Hi there,

I'm currently building a portfolio-like site for my boss. On this site we want to show video of projects he's done so far. He'd like to display them as big as possible (don't they all), but he wants smooth playback aswell.

What I've come to so far is a streaming FLV of 550 by 413 pixels at 400 kbps. I've given it a buffer time value of 10 seconds. If I play this back in Flash Pro 8, playback is smooth and looks good enough. It also plays great when the SWF is loaded onto a main SWF. But if I try it from Internet Explorer the video gets choppy, even running from my hard disk. When I try it online it doesn't get worse, so I don't think it is a buffering problem.

Has anyone had any experiences like this? Any possible solutions?
And if anyone has tips in general on using video in flash, I would be more than happy to hear them.

I can point you to the site I'm working on so you can see what's going on, but it's in Dutch so I'll have to tell you how to navigate:

http://www.multimediamatters.nl

Click "Skip Leader" (that video seems to play relatively well, by the way).
Click "Hoofdmenu" (top left corner)
Click "AV Productie" (left, second from the top)
Click "ga naar categorie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

AndraRe: Video runs smooth in Flash, but choppy in Internet Explorer
by on Aug 22, 2006 at 11:25:24 am

Just an update:

Someone told me to use Flash Player 9, and that indeed seems to help. The playback is a bit smoother, but somehow the overall quality seems a bit less. Especialy in cuts and fast moving footage.
Is there any way of improving on that, without raising the bitrate too much. I was thinking about adding cue-points on cuts to force I-frames (frames with full information), but that could amount to a lot of work. I'm also not sure wether that will raise my bitrate and final file-size much or not.

By the way, I've changed the site so it demands Flash Player 9 to load. I know it's not really friendly to do so, but with the Express Install Kit it's pretty quick and painless. And people will have to do this at one point or another, so why not now?

Yours,
Andra

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]