Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE FLASH:HomeFlash ForumFlash TutorialsFlash Video TutorialsWeb Streaming ForumAdobe FlashPodcast

Flash Movie on CD

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Don GaileFlash Movie on CD
by on May 23, 2005 at 7:22:45 pm

I have a client who wants to put a Flash movie (comprised of 4 files - html, swf, xml, and controller) to a CD. How can I do that and ensure the CD plays when it's placed in the computer?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt KlundtRe: Flash Movie on CD
by on May 23, 2005 at 8:51:07 pm

What is a controller? i.e. What extension is it?

You can write a simple autoload in Notepad for windows based computers to automatically start the CD as follows:

[autorun]
OPEN=AUTORUN.EXE
ICON=AUTORUN.ICO

This only works with executible files (EXE), AUTORUN.EXE can be changed to the name of any executable on the same root level of the CD, and the icon line is optional.

If you need Mac computers to autoload, that is only possible in OS 9.x and earlier, but I would suggest the program MacImage to make the CD autoload on a Mac. That program can also make files not necessary for windows not appear in the user's browser and vice versa for the mac.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don GaileRe: Flash Movie on CD
by on May 23, 2005 at 11:46:51 pm

The files are .html, .xml, and two .swf files. I don't know the difference between the two swf files but the client told me to download both. The titles were 05.19.swf and 05.19_controller.swf.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rockin Rabbit MediaRe: Flash Movie on CD
by on May 24, 2005 at 2:11:55 am

Matt told it straight.
Also, there's a windows program called CdEverywhere which makes a multiplatform image for use on Win, MAC, an UNIX. Works very well.

Ensure that your project can run 'standalone' before creating a cd image.
Copy all the files needed for the runtime to a different dir and run to verify function. You could also burn a 'non-autorun' cd and test it on a different machine, that will ensure that there are no 'pahting' errors.

With the autorun that Matt describes, point to your flash projector (exe). Everything else should fall into place as long as the two test scenarios work well.

-dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don GaileRe: Flash Movie on CD
by on May 24, 2005 at 3:51:14 am

Thanks. I'm working from a Mac. What do I have to do differently? I created the autorun in a TextEdit window just as he said.

[autorun]
OPEN=AUTORUN.EXE
ICON=AUTORUN.ICO

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt KlundtRe: Flash Movie on CD
by on May 24, 2005 at 3:25:35 pm

I've had problems writing that autorun in textedit. The reason I've come across is that the return character (/r) used in Mac encoded documents is different than that used on Windows (/n). You should write it in a different program like Dreamweaver or BBEdit(using Windows encoding).

Is the html necessary, or is it just a holder for the two swf files? You will need an executable to autorun on a windows and a separate file for those of us using Macs to view the presentation.

What I mean is that you could make a projector that loads one or both of the swf files and not need the html, at least not for Windows computers. Or another option is to make a projector in Flash that will call out getURL(yourHTMLpage).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]