Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAXON CINEMA 4D:Cinema 4D ForumCinema 4D TutorialsCinema 4D TagAdobe After Effects Forum

Optimal Workstation

COW Forums : Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Simon RoughanOptimal Workstation
by on May 21, 2012 at 4:04:37 pm

Hi Cattle Herders,
I posted this on the Adobe Forums as well, but would appreciate you 3D guys opinions as well.

I have the opportunity to suggest to "he who holds the purse-strings", what kind of new workstation to buy.
I work primarily with CS6 creative suite, Cinema 4D R13 Broadcast, and need to keep an Avid Software possibility to open my old Avid projects. It must be a PC becuase the whole company is based on PCS, and to ask for a Mac would open a big complicated can of worms. I have no predjudices. MAC or PC; Bosch or Makita. Tools are Tools.

Heres what I'm thinking...
A HP Z620 with the new Xeon E5 processors
32 Gigs RAM
Nvidia Quadro 4000 Graphics card
2 TB Harddrives, with a mirrored RAID Array.
AJA Kona 3G I/O Card.

But I'm not to sure what the relationship is between the AJA card and the graphics card is. Does the AJA card support or speed up the previewing or rendering times through the computer? Or is it purely for the External Viewing? Is a Quatro 4000 enough? Or should I recommend a 6000? And why?
If anyone has better suggestions, or can comment on what I have proposed, I would love to hear.

Thanks in Advance
Simon

A picture is only as good as the glass it comes through. And the person using the camera has something to do with it too.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Optimal Workstation
by on May 21, 2012 at 5:13:30 pm

As far as Cinema goes, the quadro cards are a waste of money. They require application specific drivers to get the most out of them and there are no Cinema/Quadro drivers. You'd be better off going with the fastest single-gpu nVidia gaming card available.

No knowledge about the AJA card.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Simon RoughanRe: Optimal Workstation
by on May 22, 2012 at 12:24:52 pm

[Adam Trachtenberg] "They require application specific drivers to get the most out of them and there are no Cinema/Quadro drivers"

I just looked on the Nvidia site, and...
http://www.nvidia.com/page/partner_certified_drivers.html
Under MAXON
R12
259.81 -
Supported OS: Vista 64, Win7 64
Supported Graphics Cards: Quadro 6000, 5000, 4000, 2000, 600, FX3700

I would hope this works for R13 as well. I really want a Nvidia Quadro 6000 + Tesla C2075.
Thanks for taking the time to respond, as always
Simon

A picture is only as good as the glass it comes through. And the person using the camera has something to do with it too.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 22, 2012 at 2:32:28 pm

The quadro cards are "supported" in the sense that they work just fine, but they don't work any better than the equivalent non-quadro cards.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Simon RoughanRe: Optimal Workstation
by on May 22, 2012 at 2:59:08 pm

But for Premiere Pro and After Effects, they smoke.
Cinema 4D is only 1 of my tools. Although my favorite.
And thanks for the Tip with the stones the other day...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 23, 2012 at 1:09:28 pm

In that case go for it (not your $$ anyway ;) ).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig RickerRe: Optimal Workstation
by on May 24, 2012 at 1:05:36 pm

I'd add, do 4x 2TB black caviars in a raid 0 + 1. I.e make 2 striped pairs and then mirror them. Get blazing fast read write speeds this way. Necessity for hd video. Also chuck in a ssd 120gb + for os and apps.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]