Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAXON CINEMA 4D:Cinema 4D ForumCinema 4D TutorialsCinema 4D TagAdobe After Effects Forum

Animating a falling box

COW Forums : Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Richard WindsorAnimating a falling box
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 10:31:52 pm

I am trying to animate a box falling onto a table. I can and have just animated it falling in a traditional manner with the keyframes, but I wanted to create more of a realistic feeling instead (it falling and moving around slightly due to a very slight bounce-back.

I am fairly new to Cinema 4D and I am at a bit of a loss at how the mograph stuff works sometimes. I tried making both the box and the table I built rigid bodies, but there is no way (at least that I cannot see) to animate it falling and hitting the table. Can this effect only be done a certain way or is there a better way to control it?

If anyone knows of a really good tutorial on making this kind of animation work please let me know...Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Carlos AngeliRe: Animating a falling box
by on Feb 19, 2012 at 11:12:39 pm

Hi. From what I understand you are trying to do, the best way for the box to fall naturally, would be to add a rigid body tag to the box and a collider tag to the plane/floor. Hit play and that's it.

You can then tweak the dynamic properties, to get different bouncing, etc. for the box.

Also, I would advice you to check Nick Campbell's blog, as it is one the best C4D blogs out there (full of tutorials). http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/category/cinema4d/

Go trough the first set of tutorials and you'll find plenty of rigid body examples.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard WindsorRe: Animating a falling box
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 12:18:50 am

I have tried that exact thing over and over but the box just stays in the air. Is there a way of telling it when to fall. I have a entire room modeled and a camera that swings around to the table and I want the box to start falling once the camera turns around towards the table. Do I have setting messed up or something....really confusing me at the moment.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brian JonesRe: Animating a falling box
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 4:19:33 am

what version of C4D?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 20, 2012 at 4:52:03 am

It is R13

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Animating a falling box
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 5:00:47 am

Which flavor of R13, e.g. Basic, Visualize, Studio, etc.?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 20, 2012 at 5:26:13 am

Cinema 4D R13 Broadcast

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 20, 2012 at 3:40:33 pm

Broadcast supports dynamics through the mograph system, but not outside of mograph. In this case what you would do is put your box inside a cloner, with the clone count set to 1. Put the rigid body tag on the cloner. You can keyframe the dynimcs>on parameter for the frame you want the animation to begin. Then put a rigid body/collider tag on the table object (colliders do not have to be in a cloner).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 20, 2012 at 4:02:26 pm

Thanks...that worked, but I have one more question. How exactly do I get it to drop at the exact frame that I want it to...it seems to have a mind of its own about that and I cannot seem to understand which setting changes that.

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 20, 2012 at 4:35:41 pm

In the Cloner's dynamics tag, go to the dynamics tab and you'll see a setting for Dynamics>On/Off. Keyframe it off at the beginning and then keyframe it on at the frame where you want to box to start falling.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 20, 2012 at 4:41:36 pm

Thanks a lot Adam!... that worked great.

I really need to work on some tutorials to get the basics of animation in C4D down. I am fluent in doing it After Effects, but I have found that CInema 4D is very different in some aspects. Any recommendations of tutorials for a beginner animating in C4D?

Thanks for the help...truly appreciated!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason StirretRe: Animating a falling box
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 7:02:45 pm

Hi, was reading the post...some good stuff! Another thing you might want to consider is using the timeline (window > timeline) using this you can further adjust (with what I consider a bit more ease) your key-frames and adjust how quickly/smoothly a key-frame is enabled)i.e. a box dropped from a specific point takes a specific amount of time to reach its maximum velocity. The timeline is one of your most valuable tools for adjusting and tweaking actions within your animations.

Happy C4Ding!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]