Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAXON CINEMA 4D:Cinema 4D ForumCinema 4D TutorialsCinema 4D TagAdobe After Effects Forum

Clones distribution based on map?

COW Forums : Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Taras KosmachukClones distribution based on map?
by on Jan 11, 2012 at 11:11:52 am

Is it possible to distribute clones on object surface based on black&white map, so all clones are gathered where there is white value?..

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Clones distribution based on map?
by on Jan 11, 2012 at 4:17:25 pm

Yes, you can do that via the shader effector. Load the texture or texture tag into the effector and turn on the visibility check box in the effector's parameters tab.

The texture will have to be mapped to the plane to make it work. The easiest way to do that, IMO, is to make a duplicate plane and give it a material with the texture in the color channel. Set the texture tag to flat/planar mapping and then right click the tag and select "fit to object".

Then, in the shader effector's shader tab, set the shading method to color, and drag the texture tag into the link box.

Finally, turn off visibility for the duplicate plane that you created.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Taras KosmachukRe: Clones distribution based on map?
by on Jan 11, 2012 at 6:06:52 pm

I know this method. But in this case if I have 1000 clones then for example only 100 will be visible and in order for 1000 to be visible I'll need to increase clones number to 10000 which is not very efficient way and will influence computer productivity... So I wonder if there a better more efficient way to distribute clones so all 1000 assigned by map?

Thanks anyway!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Clones distribution based on map?
by on Jan 11, 2012 at 6:51:23 pm

I think that invisible clones are not calculated, so it isn't really inefficient. You can also use render instances to speed up display and reduce overhead.

Otherwise the only option I can think of would be to create geometry that only represents the area where you want the clones to be.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]