Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAXON CINEMA 4D:Cinema 4D ForumCinema 4D TutorialsCinema 4D TagAdobe After Effects Forum

How can I merge this mesh?

COW Forums : Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Alex ShirmanHow can I merge this mesh?
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 1:41:44 am

Been working on this thing for over a week and I'm completely stumped.

What I'm aiming for is this:

I managed to make the warp tunnels via a shrinkwarp deformer. However, I've hit a wall at the merging of the warped locations. The hard part also is that this must be animated and rendered in wireframe.

Here's the whole thing, it's a single plane bent onto itself:

This is the regular object:

And this is the hypernurbed version:

How can I make the two tunnels look seamless like the first picture? I'd like to keep it sans-hypernurbs as it makes the wireframe easier to see, however the wireframe starts to get ugly as hell without it.

Here's the source file as well: http://tldred.com/wormhole.c4d

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sebastian HageneuerRe: How can I merge this mesh?
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 5:40:12 am

Did you connect the mesh at the connection points? It seems to me, that you only dragged the upper and lower points to the same location, without welding them. Of course, I could be wrong, then I don't know ;-)

artefacts - visualising the ancient world
artefacts-berlin.de

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex ShirmanRe: How can I merge this mesh?
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 5:56:44 am

I haven't been able to because when I make the object editable and try to use an edge or point tool it ends up resetting the plane back to its original non-bended position.

I'm also not sure how that would work with the animation.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sebastian HageneuerRe: How can I merge this mesh?
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:33:14 am

So its a parametric object? I see....
Did you use the symmetry object to mirror the upper and lower part? I am not sure at the moment, but I think you can check a check-box there that allows melting the two sides.
The problem is, that Hyper-Nurbs "sees" the cut in the middle and therefore rounds it up on this location. You will have to find a way to connect the upper and lower part. I don't see any reason why you cannot convert the mesh to an editable mesh. You can use your deformers there too to animate everything. Properly connecting the two parts will get rid of the Hyper-Nurbs problem.

artefacts - visualising the ancient world
artefacts-berlin.de

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam TrachtenbergRe: How can I merge this mesh?
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:54:44 pm

How is the object going to be animated?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex ShirmanRe: How can I merge this mesh?
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:31:41 pm

The plane starts flat and folds onto it self, then the top and bottom points of the plane warp together to meet at the center.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam TrachtenbergRe: How can I merge this mesh?
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 8:46:39 pm

Ah, that's a bit tricky then. The only way I can think of to do it is to use the connect object to weld the points when they get close enough together. Basically that means that you would have to use point-level animation to move the wormhole sections towards each other. To avoid the dense HN mesh use as little geometry as possible. If you have Sketch and Toon you could also render the isoparm lines instead of the actual wireframe (looks better, IMO).

Here's an example scene: 2531_wormholeamt.c4d.zip

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]