Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAXON CINEMA 4D:Cinema 4D ForumCinema 4D TutorialsCinema 4D TagAdobe After Effects Forum

Engraved text on sphere

COW Forums : Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Pravin ChotteraEngraved text on sphere
by on Jun 16, 2009 at 4:57:16 pm

I need to engrave text onto a sphere, and realize I have no idea how to do it. Help?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brian JonesRe: Engraved text on sphere
by on Jun 17, 2009 at 12:43:31 am

a couple possibilities (might be more)

- create the text (an extrude), use the Wrap deformer to wrap the text around a sphere and use a boolean to cut the text from the sphere

- use displacement (sub-poly displacement probably) in a material to "cut" the sphere, the displacement map of the text would have to be big enough so it is clean enough (not chunky at the edges)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BrandtRe: Engraved text on sphere
by on Mar 18, 2010 at 11:49:23 pm

Just a more detailed follow-up on Brian's post (even though it's several months old), since I was looking for the same info, and this was one of the first Google links. I then had to do a further search for the details. :-)

After creating and extruding the text, in the main menu, go to Objects > Deformation > Wrap. In the Objects list, nest the Wrap in the Text. In the Wrap Object window, under the Object tab, change the setting from Cylindrical to Spherical, and adjust the various measurements until the wireframe matches your Sphere. Then in the main menu, go to Objects > Modeling > Boole. Place the Extruded Text Wrap into the Boole.

That worked for me. Thanks, Brian, for putting me on the right path. :-)

My only suggestion would be to save this for last, as the Boolean really slowed down further editing capabilities (by like five to ten times slower).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]