Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE LOGIC:HomeLogic ForumGarage BandMusic Forum

LogicPro 7 Newbie - Can't hear anything...

COW Forums : Apple Logic

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
vicblakLogicPro 7 Newbie - Can't hear anything...
by on Dec 17, 2005 at 1:01:05 am

hi. i am hoping someone can get me up and running with just a few hints. i have ver 7 and am trying to get my feet wet with the app. i am using a few different ways to get sound in, mostly with quick usb devices such as M-Audio jamlab for my guitar, and alternately directly connecting a novation Xstation. problem is, i have no idea how to be able to hear these devices- i can't figure out the monitor setup, or even recording. i see the midi presses registering, but nada... With the same setup, i can get right into garageband without any trouble, so i know it's just a matter of assignments, etc. Garageband is cute, but i really want to be able to do more and start learning Logic. all tutorials that i can find seem to start with a song already recorded. i'd like to simply be able to use the headphone jack on either my computer or the device i'm using, with all other tracks monitored as well.

I have a laptop that i usually use (w/ garageband, some latency issues - 1.5 gHz G4 w/ 2GB and 5400rpm drive).

any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks-
vic.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

RonRe: LogicPro 7 Newbie - Can't hear anything...
by on Dec 17, 2005 at 6:46:19 pm

Maybe someone can give you a better answer, but I use the preset Quicktime setup. Not in front of the computer now, but I think its one of the template options when you create a new song. File > New > etc...

I'm a video guy learning this app... Deep stuff, but fun to play with.
Great for mixing shows.

Enjoy.
Ron

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

BlearyeyesRe: LogicPro 7 Newbie - Can't hear anything...
by on Dec 21, 2005 at 3:55:02 pm

I hate to say this but it is all in the manual.

You need to go into your preferences and assign an audio driver for starters

I have been using DAWS since Pro-Tools 1.1 and this application took me a couple of years to get comfortable with. I was reading the manual all the time. One of the things that might help is that audio objects need to be in rec mode to pass audio from external devices as well as through MIDI. At first Logic seems illogical but once you get into it it is well worth the learning curve.

You are not going to be able to use it like Garageband you are going to have to work at it to get into it.

Good luck and don't look back.

Daniel R. Shattuck
http://www.ipeace.tv

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 21, 2005 at 4:15:21 pm

Manual, Shamanual! :)

Yeah...all 5 manuals...and they're pretty good too.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

vicblakRe: LogicPro 7 Newbie - Can't hear anything...
by on Dec 21, 2005 at 4:35:35 pm

thanks for the input guys. the manuals are pretty daunting, and i just want to get to it. i'm pretty good with apps, but i find this one a bit illusive. could be because of all the different ways people wire into it. i find the video tutorials the most effecient and helpful. guess there's not much for this one. is a small sound board an intelligent add-on, and if so, any recs? or, will that just make my head explode??

thanks-

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 21, 2005 at 5:31:54 pm

The Mackie control surface (MCU) is a nice add-on.
An external Mackie mixer is nice too.
Because I use Logic for video, all of my audio goes through my capture card.
I assume you are asking about sound cards for capturing audio?
You can also look into USB devices as well. No recommendations on my end since I don't deal in high-end audio, but the two "toys" I mentioned work flawlessly with Logic.

Ron

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]