Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE XSAN:HomeXsan ForumSAN TutorialsSAN Forum

Xsan Compatibility with Avid or Smoke

COW Forums : Apple Xsan

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ryan BerdinkaXsan Compatibility with Avid or Smoke
by on May 15, 2012 at 4:34:47 pm

Hello,

I'm curious if anyone has any new information regarding using Apple Xsan with recent versions of Avid Media Composer/Symphony or Autodesk Smoke (Mac)? Like others, my company is looking at transitioning away from FCP 7 but have invested heavily in our current Xsan setup. There is a lot of old information out there that does not look all the promising when using Xsan with versions of Avid. Hoping there may be some new advancements/workarounds. Would like to be able to use what we currently have or re-purpose it in some way.

Appreciate any insights!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve ModicaRe: Xsan Compatibility with Avid or Smoke
by on May 16, 2012 at 2:59:54 pm

We were shooting some Avid workflow videos yesterday at Small Tree to help customers working with non-proprietary shared storage and Avid.

One thing that seems to work well is sparse disk images. Doctor's in Training is doing this with the 30-45 minute training videos for overseas doctors.

You create a sparse disk image *on the shared storage*. You double click to mount it. It will mount locally as a local disk. You point Avid at it for import and pull in your video and do your work. When complete, unmount and it's there for someone else. OS X takes care of locking to be sure someone can't mount it while you're using it. They'll get "resource temporarily unavailable".

Steve

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Alexander BehseRe: Xsan Compatibility with Avid or Smoke
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 10:40:55 pm

Do you have a link to this tutorial?

I am looking at a solution to utilize my two external PCIe/SAS raids (Sonnet Fusion and EonStor) to connect to two Avid's.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]