Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE XSAN:HomeXsan ForumSAN TutorialsSAN Forum

750gb Drives for XRAID

COW Forums : Apple Xsan

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Max Kaiser750gb Drives for XRAID
by on Nov 2, 2009 at 12:01:34 am

Hi again,

Just spent the afternoon researching 750gb drives for the XRAID and it appears that they are VERY hard to find. Other than the seagates that seem to be going for around $250 or so, does anyone know of any others. I understand they must be PATA, or Ultra ATA drives, etc. just wondering if there are any out there somewhere I'm not looking.

Thanks!
Max

Max Kaiser
Director
Hand Crank Films
http://www.handcrankfilms.com

Various Intel
FCP 6
OS 10.4

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave KleeRe: 750gb Drives for XRAID
by on Nov 4, 2009 at 12:32:40 am

Hey Max, the short answer is no. I haven't had much luck locating drives, and those Seagate drives you're talking about that are compatible (ST3750640A and ST3750640AV) aren't being made much and becoming hard to find, too. Last time I found a big batch at a good price was over a year ago.

Technology has come a long way since the old Apple Xserve RAID. They're great, but they're getting a little scary now -- hard to locate spare drives and parts. If a piece of it fails (a controller, power supply or even a fan), you could find yourself in trouble in a hurry. I still use several for some backups and less important stuff, but wouldn't trust it long term if you really care about your data.

So, is it worth dumping what could be thousands of dollars into an outdated box? Maybe -- if you've got spare parts and know its performance limitations. But, you might consider saving yourself some heartburn and putting the money toward something new that you could rely on.

Between this and the 10-port SANBox, it sounds like you're upgrading a fair amount of your older gear? Expanding an old Xsan? I hate to say it, but chasing 2Gb fibre channel and putting random 750GB drives in Apple RAIDs is not a good recipe for long term stability. Jordan's advice of putting together a solid 4Gb system with new RAIDs and a new 4Gb SANBox is good. You'll be thanking yourself in the long run.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Max KaiserRe: 750gb Drives for XRAID
by on Nov 4, 2009 at 12:46:40 am

Thanks gents. This is all really good info, and I appreciate the thoughts. I've been thinking about that "going down" thing a lot lately as I see how hard it is to get anything for this dinosaur.

So, I guess the next step is to start really perusing this board for what is the next logical step, without being a leap into outerspace as we are just a small boutique that never does anything beyond prores requirements. BUT, we gotta be able to share!

Max

Max Kaiser
Director
Hand Crank Films
http://www.handcrankfilms.com

Various Intel
FCP 6
OS 10.4

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vitali BystritskiRe: 750gb Drives for XRAID
by on Dec 12, 2009 at 4:56:49 am

I heard it is still possible to find 500 Gb drives for Xserve RAIDs. The only thing you have to make sure to have the latest firmware update on RAIDs. With off-the-shelves drives you won't get drives status through RAID admin.

Sincerely yours,

Vitali Bystritski
Apple Certified Final Cut Server Trainer
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Trainer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/vitali

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy