Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
3DS MAX:3ds Max Forum3ds Max Tutorials3ds Max

Importing Illustrator into 3D Max

COW Forums : Autodesk 3ds Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
macaddictImporting Illustrator into 3D Max
by on Oct 13, 2007 at 9:09:49 pm

I designed an image in illustrator, and I was trying to import it into 3D Max, but it wouldn't open. Could someone shed a little light on the subject? By the way I am using 3D Max 9...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

samuel01Re: Importing Illustrator into 3D Max
by on Oct 15, 2007 at 12:44:32 pm

It may be a pb with the realease number of illustrator when you save your work.
in illustrator instead of use the "save as" function , use the "export" function and choose "illustrator legacy". For the realease version choose "illustrator 8".

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Importing Illustrator into 3D Max
by on Oct 15, 2007 at 12:46:57 pm

Unless it has changed with Max 9 (I currently work with Max 8) you have to import your image as an Illustrator 8 file in the .ai format. Then in the Max File pulldown, do an Import, and filter for the .ai format.

If you have text, make sure you have converted to outlines. Once you get your .ai image into Max, you'll have the choice of importing as one object, or as separate objects. Depending on your image, you can decide which will work best. Once the file is in there, select all and size up the splines about 1000 percent. Max imports the .ai file very, very small. You may also have some problems with your normals, where your image, once you've extruded or beveled it, doesn't have caps, or just looks funky. You can use the Reverse Normals modifier and see if that helps. You may have got the impression by now that Max doesn't play well with Illustrator - I'm hoping they improve the integration some day.

Joe Bourke
Art Director / WMUR-TV

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Importing Illustrator into 3D Max
by on Oct 15, 2007 at 3:57:16 pm

Here's a link that expands on my basic description of how to import an Illustrator file:

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=23690&rl=1

Joe Bourke
Art Director / WMUR-TV

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

macaddictRe: Importing Illustrator into 3D Max
by on Oct 16, 2007 at 2:39:51 am

Thanks guys for the tips. This will be very helpful.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]