Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE GARAGE BAND:HomeGarage Band ForumApple LogicMusic Forum

separting songs on garageband

COW Forums : Apple Garage Band

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Danny Shulawseparting songs on garageband
by on Apr 8, 2009 at 1:16:51 am

i am currently editing an album in gargeband. i recorded it using another program on another machine. i have imported it into garageband. i have separated the songs, the problem is is that it still shows up as one long song. how do i make separate tracks for an audio CD?

-Daniel Shulaw

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom Nagel RasmussenRe: separating songs on garageband
by on Jun 29, 2009 at 1:00:03 am

Have the same problem. Want to burn an audio cd containing several numbers that I would like to have each their number - must be an easy task for those, who know a little about Garage band. Does this forum really work? i see this question was first brought in april, and now it is soon july!
Tom Nagel

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Peter GreenstoneRe: separting songs on garageband
by on Sep 6, 2009 at 10:07:24 pm

I'm not quite sure what you've done. You mean you had the whole album as one long audio file and you brought it into GB? You said you already separated the tracks... How did you do this? Did you cut it up into separate audio files in GB or some other program?

If you wanted to take, say, an aiff of the whole album and import it into GB to cut into individual tracks to save out as separate aiff files all you would have to do is the following:

Start a new GB project, import the full album length aiff (or whatever format audio file it is), cut the thing at each song's start/end, and then move each song that you have just cut into it's own new track in GB. Have them each start all the way to the left. Then hit the solo button for the first track so that all the others are muted, and then set the end marker to the end of the particular song. Then do an export, saving it uncompressed to disk as an aiff, being sure to name it whatever track 1 of the album is supposed to be named.

Just repeat, going down the stack of tracks in GB, soloing the current one, setting the end time, and exporting it with the right name.

That's not the only way to go about doing it but it's probably the most simple way using GB. I'm really not clear what you were actually doing that resulted in the problem you said you were having.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Josh WyattRe: separting songs on garageband
by on Sep 28, 2009 at 1:15:09 pm

Peter
I see where your solution would work but just think that GB should have an easier solution than having to individually export the songs.

I am in a similar situation... I record our church bands worship set with GB as one audio file then need to export this onto a CD into separate tracks.

Any help would help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter GreenstoneRe: separting songs on garageband
by on Sep 28, 2009 at 4:09:42 pm

GB isn't really designed as a tool for breaking up audio files in the way you want to. I mean it can be done easily enough using the method I described but it's not the sort of thing I'd expect to find as an automated process in GB.

You might be better off working with a CD mastering program that is specifically used for preparing tracks for an album on CD or whatever format. Those programs come with an interface and tools specifically designed for setting up all of your tracks' in and out times, overlaps, mastering, and whatnot.

Usually one brings in all the already-separate audio files to work with but I'd think a program such as that would also work well for your needs.

Here's a program that a quick google search for "automatic audio cutting" got me.
http://direct-wav-mp3-splitter.pistonsoft.qarchive.org/

It looks like it could do what you want. And it looked like there were a number of other apps out there like it. Not actually sure if that one works on Mac, but I'm sure there's something like it at least on the Mac.

http://www.petergreenstone.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]