Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE MOTION:HomeMotion ForumMotion TutorialsTagFCP ForumFCP Tutorials

motionvfx templates don't show thumbnail or preview in project browser

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Vickie Sceifersmotionvfx templates don't show thumbnail or preview in project browser
by on Oct 17, 2012 at 6:15:02 pm

I love motionvfx templates and own several. I use them fairly easily in Motion 5. However, just a minor peeve...when I start Motion, "New from Project Browser", brings up all the templates I have, most of the templates from motionvfx do not show an actual thumbnail nor can I get a preview. What shows up is a generic thumbnail based on the filetype (title vs. project). I also get a lot of "Media Missing in Motion", although I do have all the files.

Is this normal? My Digital Juice templates show up as thumbnails, and I can click to see a preview before I open the project folder, but can't get it to do this with my motionvfx files.

Can anyone help?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

AJ RobinsonRe: motionvfx templates don't show thumbnail or preview in project browser
by on Oct 17, 2012 at 6:39:51 pm

Right mouse click and hit 'Reveal in Finder'. In finder, there should be two preview images of project name (1) small.png and (2) large.png
Here you can see what it should look like. There must be at least on file named large.png and that will be your preview

Hope I was of help,

~AJ

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vickie SceifersRe: motionvfx templates don't show thumbnail or preview in project browser
by on Oct 17, 2012 at 9:03:08 pm

Thanks for the reply. But not quite what I was looking for.

I know where all the files are. But because I'm having to access them through Finder, as opposed to Motion Project Browser, like it should. It is annoying.

Do I need to have the project files in another place? As you can see from my previously posted image, Motion can see the folder and the project, but for some reason not the png. I didn't move any subfolders within a project. Here's another image of my file structure. As you can see, the Digital Juice projects with preview show up fine, but not the mfx Project one.The ones I did myself (VSP) at least show an image, but not a preview.

Vickie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vickie SceifersRe: motionvfx templates don't show thumbnail or preview in project browser
by on Oct 17, 2012 at 9:05:31 pm

OOPS. I posted the wrong image. Try this one instead.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

AJ RobinsonRe: motionvfx templates don't show thumbnail or preview in project browser
by on Oct 17, 2012 at 11:00:05 pm

Would you mind showing me a picture of you clicked on project 541 in finder instead of Digital Juice being selected?
Here's what one of the templates I made looks like in the Project browser and Finder. Does it look identical to this?

The movie preview is a whole different story. I'll get to that later.

I'm sorry I'm having a trouble getting what you mean.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 18, 2012 at 11:07:28 pm

Is this what you want to see? Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

I'd really like to keep all my templates organized.

I think the issue of the preview not coming up is that templates from mvfx don't include media.

Vickie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 19, 2012 at 4:13:09 pm

Haha I'm sorry Vickie if you'd click on a tmp such as 'Font' or 'Lower thirds'. In there it should have a large and small.png image. If there's not a large and small you can go ahead and make one quick and easy. All you have to do is take a screenshot of your opened project, then name it large.png. (no conversion is need as when you take a screenshot [shift+command+4] it'll already be a png). Drag large.png into the project folder, see picture below. A small.png is not necessary. Open up Motion and you should have a preview.

Hope I was helpful,

~AJ

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 19, 2012 at 4:48:45 pm

Wow! We're almost there! :-)

I have small and large png's for all my templates. I just think Motion isn't looking for them in the right place. Also the png's don't seem to be really descriptive (like a lens flare), so I was going to make my own, but I don't know what location they would then need to be in for Motion to see it in the project browser on program start.

Thanks again!
Vick

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 19, 2012 at 10:06:03 pm

I told you in the previous post where to put them! Make your own pic, then go back to my previous post to see where to put the file. Hahah I had arrows, boxes and everything!

Hope I was helpful,

~AJ

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 20, 2012 at 1:05:59 am

Awesome! That worked. Now, logic dictates that if I can make a screencap of the Title and the Transition, and put them in the same folder, I should get those previews as well?

I tried, but it didn't work. I did a screengrab of the Title slide-saved as png, and a screenflow of the transition, which I exported to mov. I put both those files in the same directory as the .png. Is there a particular name I should use (i.e. "large" instead of the project "703" that it is).

Any more suggestions?

Thanks again!

Vickie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 22, 2012 at 2:43:38 pm

What exactly do you mean by taking a pic of Titles and the Transitions? You also said preview. There is only one picture preview and one movie preview.To me it sounds like you are trying to put several previews in the same folder. Nope. That won't work. As far as the movie preview goes, here are the simple steps to make it.

MAKING A MOVIE PREVIEW

1) Open up your project/template
2) Hit publish template from the file menu. (if you are in FCP generator, hit save as)
3) If you want to publish a template, select save preview movie, then save.

4) If you want to save it as a generator, well, just select Publish as Final Cut Generator.

In the Motion Startup window, the red box is where the templates are saved. The yellow box is where the generators are saved.

Of course you can always move the files of the templates/generators if you make a mistake.

The movie preview shows up where the red box is and the blue box is where the image preview is.

Hope I was helpful,

~AJ

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 22, 2012 at 3:37:42 pm

Awesome! I will have to spend some time with this, but it looks promising! I have managed to get thumbnails to show up, and some previews, but your post makes a lot of sense. it seems odd it would have to do that for purchased templates, but this looks like it will work.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks a bunch!
Vickie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 22, 2012 at 6:04:39 pm

That's great Vickie!

Glad I could help,

~AJ

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]