Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE MOTION:HomeMotion ForumMotion TutorialsTagFCP ForumFCP Tutorials

Photoshop files in motion don't look right

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
James DowPhotoshop files in motion don't look right
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 4:11:01 pm

I'm pretty new to Motion...trying to do the "Keep the Kids in the Picture" type treatment to some old photos. I separated my picture elements to different .psd layers, then imported to motion (all layers)
Now several of my layers have a white background that I wasn't seeing in Photoshop. Do i need to save them differently, or is there a step in Motion that I need to apply?

Thanks!!
JPD

JPD

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen SmithRe: Photoshop files in motion don't look right
by on Feb 27, 2012 at 3:42:17 pm

Make sure your Photoshop file is RGB, Not CMYK. Also make it 8 bit. Let me know if that works.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris LehmannRe: Photoshop files in motion don't look right
by on Feb 28, 2012 at 6:43:56 pm

Follow Stephen's tips about RGB and 8-bit. The recent PSD formats have added a ton of stuff (smart objects, vector layer, etc.) that many 3rd party applications have a hard time interpreting. When I work with PSD files in motion I'll usually flatten/rasterize everything possible to reduce possible errors. If you don't need layers I'd even suggest saving it in a different, more standardized format such as PNG or even JPEG.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Simon UbsdellRe: Photoshop files in motion don't look right
by on Feb 28, 2012 at 9:10:55 pm

Note also that Motion doesn't necessarily preserve the scaling or positioning of the original PSD layers depending on the canvas size, which may be what you are encountering here if you are seeing stuff on the edge you didn't expect.

As Chris says, it's often best just to flatten the layers rather than use a PSD if that is causing headaches. (Note that only some formats preserve the transparency - e.g. PNG will but JPEG won't.)

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]