Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE MOTION:HomeMotion ForumMotion TutorialsTagFCP ForumFCP Tutorials

Particle trail

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jason WoodParticle trail
by on Jun 16, 2011 at 8:47:36 pm

Hi

Im quite new to motion and i'm trying to create a sparkle particle trail to wrap around a person to remove them from the scene. I would like it to zoom accross the screen orbit around the person and move up and off the screen, removing them as it goes. Maybe a shooting star type particle.

At the moment ive got a magic wand emitting particles and have a rectangle shape to try to orbit around, but the particles are always in front of the object or behind. I would like them to move in front then disappear behind and so on all the up.

Could someone provide me with some pointers to achieve this please.

Thanks Jay

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen SmithRe: Particle trail
by on Jun 16, 2011 at 8:52:51 pm

Make sure you are working in 3D space.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SpencerRe: Particle trail
by on Jun 16, 2011 at 9:33:10 pm

You also need to set the particle to 3D in the Emitter tab.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason WoodRe: Particle trail
by on Jun 17, 2011 at 10:11:22 pm

Thanx for the help, the particles are moving in a circular upwards motion as i wanted, but i cant seem to get them to go out of vision as they go round the object.

What ive done so far:

Ive created a particle emmiter from the sparkle mov in content. Ive got the emmission range set to 7% so its got a trail of sparkles. I would like the emmiter itself (the nose of it for want of a better word) to follow the orbit around path and have the emmissions always behind it depending on the path it takes. Is this possible?

It seems so easy to describe in my head but on paper its not so easy.

I suppose a shooting star coming in to view orbiting around and up the object (which i will have turned off and placed over the image of a person so it looks like its passing behind them) and when the trail moves up i can crop the image following the motion of the sparkle trail to remove the person.

This is the concept of what i want,

http://www.makaustralia.com/ccchritsmas.mov

Am i going in the right direction?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanx Jay

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gareth RandallRe: Particle trail
by on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:03:45 am

Hi Jay,

If you want the particles to disappear as they go behind the talent, you have to mask them out somehow. You might have to rotoscope frame-by-frame, or you might be able to animate a rough mask, it all depends on your footage and what you want it to look like.

If you shot your talent against a green screen, you can key out the background and then position them in 3D space in the middle of your particle spiral, so the particles will automatically be obscured as they travel behind them.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]