Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE MOTION:HomeMotion ForumMotion TutorialsTagFCP ForumFCP Tutorials

Cross dissolve opacity curves

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tom AckroydCross dissolve opacity curves
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 11:39:34 pm

I'm attempting to tidy up a sequence of stills in my Final Cut timeline by using Motion to ease in & out on the FC moves. The stills all cross dissolve into each other. Of course these transitions don't translate to Motion.

The standard way of cross dissolving in Motion as I understand it is to apply fade in/fade out on items on different layers. This works fine but the result is a different cross-dissolve curve than in FC. The overall luminance dips in the middle of the transition, making the transition go dark halfway through. In FC, the transition keeps the overall luminance steady. An analogue is the 0db/+3db choice of audio crossfades in FC to avoid the sound dipping in the middle.

The workaround is to ditch the fade-in/fade-out behaviour and keyframe the opacity instead, applying curves, much as you can to audio in eg ProTools.

Can anyone help me preserve the look of my FC cross dissolves easily?

Cheers,
Tom

2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
OS 10.6.7
Final Cut Studio 2, Motion 4.0.3, Final Cut 7.0.3

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew WilsonRe: Cross dissolve opacity curves
by on Jun 16, 2011 at 12:57:59 am

If they're full frame stills, don't apply the fade out to the layer that's going away. Just fade in the layer above it that's coming in.

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom AckroydRe: Cross dissolve opacity curves
by on Jun 16, 2011 at 8:21:37 am

Andrew, I read it, and I still don't believe it. I was stuck in the wrong, uh, paradigm. So simple, and makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Tom

2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
OS 10.6.7
Final Cut Studio 2, Motion 4.0.3, Final Cut 7.0.3

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy