Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE MOTION:HomeMotion ForumMotion TutorialsTagFCP ForumFCP Tutorials

Transparent Background

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Samuel BoultonTransparent Background
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:36:55 pm

Hello,

My question may be very elementary in nature to you, but I've tried different settings until I'm blue in the face. Please help me return to normal.

After animating some text, I exported it as a QT movie (DV NTSC Movie). I imported it into FCP6 over my main video track, and the background is not transparent.

How do I export from Motion to FCP making the background transparent?

Note: Project properties / general tab / background is set to transparent

Thank you for your time.

Sam

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SpencerRe: Transparent Background
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:37:55 pm

The DV codec does not support transparency. Instead of exporting a movie, just import the Motion project file ITSELF into FCP and place it over your clip.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Samuel BoultonRe: Transparent Background
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:46:45 pm

Mark,

Thanks for your quick response. I saved the Motion file and imported it directly into FCP, background still black.

Perhaps I did something wrong. The Motion project file I imported has the extension, '.motn. My background settings are still set to transparency.

Is there something or a setting I should recheck?

Thanks,
Sam

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:41:49 pm

That should work. Does your Motion project actually have transparency? You can check by using the Channels menu to switch to Alpha.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 3, 2010 at 7:48:10 pm

The Channel menu had 'Transparent' selected on my last save. I switched it to 'Alpha' and saved as a new file, still black.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thk

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 3, 2010 at 7:51:03 pm

Post your project file, I'll take a peek at it.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 3, 2010 at 8:21:40 pm

Thanks Mark for the extra efforts offered. I'm certain you have better things to do with your time. This was my first posting, so I hope I did it correctly.

Sam

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 3, 2010 at 8:40:07 pm

Did you upload the file? I don't see anything. You need to click the little floppy disc icon...

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 3, 2010 at 8:45:54 pm

Below is the link to the file for downloading.

526_webelievepromo.motn.zip

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 3, 2010 at 8:56:46 pm

Project looks fine - so you place this project file over a video clip in your FCP sequence and you cannot see the video behind it? I don't see how that's possible...can you send a screenshot?

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 3, 2010 at 10:23:48 pm

Mark,

I'm bewildered...

When I started this help needed thread, the words in my project were not transparent. I tried many different setting before starting this thread. I also changing the Channel menu settings to 'Alpha' as you suggested, and it still had a black background.

After sending you the file for analysis, I closed Motion3 and FCP6. When I relaunched FCP6 and imported the assets to make the requested screen shot, the file is NOW working. The Motion file background is transparent. I don't know what to tell you, other then thank you for your efforts and your patience. Perhaps FCP's timeline had a glitch, I just don't know...

I apologize if I wasted your time. Thank you once again!

Sam

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kyle CherryRe: Transparent Background
by on Sep 9, 2010 at 1:46:25 pm

Hi Mark.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but i saw the transparent topic and had to ask:

In Motion 4, how do i make the actual letters of my text transparent?

I want to put a video inside the letters in FCP 7.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Kyle

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 9, 2010 at 3:42:58 pm

Apply an Image Mask to your video (Object > Add Image Mask) and then drag the text to the well in the HUD.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mikhail BekhterevRe: Transparent Background
by on Nov 6, 2010 at 8:12:08 pm

This looks like a happy ending. My story went total opposite. Clips were posting properly with transparent background (Motion 4 to FCP 7) but then FCP began to crash before completing render. Went through a bunch of steps suggested by Apple rep except the last one - replacing motion files with rendered quicktime movies. After I moved old Motion files and replaced with QT files transparency was gone. Now neither QT nor old motion files post with transparent background. Anyone had to resolve that issue?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

zak pericRe: Transparent Background
by on Nov 7, 2010 at 8:56:16 am

Have you tried to see what is the codec of your movies in Quicktime. Open the movie in Quicktime and go to Window/Movie Properties and check that you have saved your movies Animation codec with Millions of Colours + (+ being alpha channel). Or the same would apply to Apple Pro Res 4444 where + would be an alpha. I recently had a problem with Quicktime, I fixed my problem by reinstalling Quicktime from Apple Website.

Also maybe you need to re-ender your movies making sure that it is with Animation + codec.

Let me know how did you get on.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mikhail BekhterevRe: Transparent Background
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 8:13:07 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. The QT does show that the files are million +. Prior to the black background issue I had another problem. I had lower-third and a logo over the main clip in FCP from Motion. Clip under 3 minutes long rendered fine but longer clips kept crashing. FCP tech support recommended reinstalling FCP and rendering Motion files. After reinstalling FCP I ended up with neither Motion nor rendered QT files showing transparent background (solid black instead). After writing here and couple of sleepless nights I remembered that I have the TimeMachine enabled and went back to the day before I reinstalled FCP. Now transparent shows properly and as far as the rendering is concerned I did it by rendering clips in sections and closing program after each render. Otherwise it would still crash and when loaded back up show as if nothing has been rendered. I'll try rendered QT files next but hope that soon we'll be able to skip that step and be able whole motion clips in FCP. :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]