Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE MOTION:HomeMotion ForumMotion TutorialsTagFCP ForumFCP Tutorials

Motion Alpha Channel Bug in Timline?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Craig SeemanMotion Alpha Channel Bug in Timline?
by on Jan 20, 2007 at 5:37:13 am

When placing a Photoshop file that has an Alpha in the Timeline of Motion 2.1.2 it seems to lose the Alpha Channel. If I drop the same photo directly in the Canvas the Alpha Channel works. If I drop the same photo into the Media tab and THEN drop it in the timeline, it works.

For those with Peachpit's Getting Started With Motion, doing Exercise 8-3, that's how I discovered it. The issue was repeatable. Is this a known bug?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: Motion Alpha Channel Bug in Timline?
by on Jan 20, 2007 at 5:39:34 am

To clarify, It only fails when I drag the Photoshop file with alpha channel from Browser to Timeline directly.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

specialcaseRe: Motion Alpha Channel Bug in Timline?
by on Jan 20, 2007 at 6:35:12 am

Heya,

Sounds like there's a bug where it incorrectly guesses the alpha type when you drag it into the Timeline. Easily fixed: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/170/857840?

Good luck with your project!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: Motion Alpha Channel Bug in Timline?
by on Jan 20, 2007 at 7:21:12 am

Thanks. The odd thing is it only loses the alpha type when I drag from Browser to Timeline. In other words when I first open it in the File Browser and look at it in the Inspector Media Tab the Alpha Channel is correct so there's no reason to change it.

The giveaway for me was I was using the same psd in two places. The first time I dragged it to Canvas. That worked. Later in the project I dragged it to the timeline and the alpha seemed gone.

When I went to the Media Tab (Layers area) I noticed one iteration had the expected checkerboard background and the 2nd one had white. Selecting THAT one (slightly different fix than yours because the original version in the Browser does show the alpha correctly) and changing that in the Inspector fixed it. In this case the alpha showed as NONE.

In other words, in my case ONLY dragging into Timeline created the alpha issue and only with that use of the original source file. The very same source dragged from Browser to Canvas worked.

Odd and bug and very awkward bug for sure. Once again thanks for pointing me where to look to fix it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]