Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
BUSINESS AND MARKETING:Business and Marketing ForumBusiness and Marketing ArticlesBusiness and Marketing Podcasts

Cable organization

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Rich RubaschCable organization
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 9:51:28 pm

Hmmm....where to post?

Anyone have a clever way of organizing hundreds of audio/video cables in a facility? We have organized them into boxes by type but it is not ideal. We have wall space but I always hated the big wall of cables.

Any cool products out there?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John DavidsonRe: Cable organization
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 10:05:13 pm

We did ours this way with a bunch of cheap storage boxes from Home Depot. Don't know why the uploader rotated the picture sideways. Just rotate your monitor 90 degrees right and you'll see it better.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: Cable organization
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 10:16:30 pm

If someone has a comprehensive solution that they can describe, I'd be grateful as well.

I keep flirting with too many partial solutions.

I have Tubs (heavy guage power) Totes (misc long cables) Boxes (smaller power and speaker cables) Hanging comb racks (shorter patch and signal) Velcro straps (XLR and BNC long cables) Ziplock bags ("device specific" cables), and a shelf unit with small locking tubs (short splitters, gender changers, adapters etc.)

In short, I have at least a dozen divisions of where I store wire and cables depending on the class of the cable and whether it needs to stay with the device or is a general purpose stand-alone connection for specific devices like remote recorder patch cables, phone/ipad/charging cables et al.

It's always more complex than it seems to someone outside this business.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, and would be equally appreciative of any useful ideas.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rich RubaschRe: Cable organization
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 12:56:07 am

I had the idea of the plastic boxes as well...see thru is good so you get an idea of what's in there. But like John I have several methods to the madness but it remains madness.

Post on good fellows, post on.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nick GriffinRe: Cable organization
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 8:07:51 pm

We have a "go bag" of stingers and most of the audio stuff lives in another "go bag" so they're both ready for field shoots, which is 98% of what we do, at least in video.

As our systems have grown I began by "decorating" the stand that holds the fireplace implements in my office with cables which weren't in use at the time. (It seemed OK as the fireplace isn't used much either.) When space ran out on that the decorating continued on a nearby guitar floor stand. (Sorry guitar you have to stay in the case.) Also have a few drawers filled with various like items, ie.- drawer of power supplies and their cables, drawer of USB and Firewire cables, adapters, un-used hubs, etc. So, no. I don't have a very good system. Certainly NOTHING as organized and sensible as John's.

The bigger issue is boxes in our storage area overflowing with things like SCSI 1 & 2 cables, cables for monitors long gone, cables for our old network… you get the idea. Junk. Junk that's hard to throw out when thinking, "Jeezz, I spent a fortune on all this stuff once upon a time." But should become easy to take to the re-cycling dump when I admit that SCSI isn't coming back and we'll need that storage space for what we're using now when everything starts getting hooked up with Thuderbolt cabling.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vince BecquiotRe: Cable organization
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 11:28:40 pm

For Edison/XLR and the long stuff, we use 2"x2' aluminum pipes with end plates and screwed them into a piece of plywood that's itself screwed into the wall. That frees up a lot of space and never had one break.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]