Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
BUSINESS AND MARKETING:Business and Marketing ForumBusiness and Marketing ArticlesBusiness and Marketing Podcasts

Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tim FrechetteDiscovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on May 14, 2010 at 7:26:38 pm

Good Day,
I have a great idea for a 1 hour tv show and am looking into the Discovery Channels Producer Portal and am wondering if anyone has dealt with them before? I am trying to get a sense of what their hot spot is regarding budget, etc. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard CooperRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on May 17, 2010 at 8:15:38 pm

When I read the "terms" of submitting show "ideas" through the Discovery Producers Portal, it read to me (but I am not a layer) that you had to basically agree to give up your rights to your idea for them to even look at it. So essentially, they "could" take your idea and run with it and bypass you as the owner/producer completely. Didn't sound like a good deal to me. But others may have more "hands on" experience with the Producers Portal.

Good luck!

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on May 17, 2010 at 9:14:35 pm

You can't copyright the idea, just the specific execution of it. Console yourself that you are getting hired for the mind that comes up with the ideas, rather than the specific ideas themselves.

Because your stuff WILL get stolen some day, and more than once. I had a client I negotiated with for a package deal turn my creative pitch down and then try to execute one of my ideas a month later, on their own, no attribution or consideration for me, but the cheaper guy they used for the spots hadn't done any of the background legwork I had, so his take on my concept was pretty weak, and it didn't work out. Had they not gone out of biz shortly thereafter, and had they come back to me to make it work, I would have had words about it with them.

Yes, you're taking a huge chance when you sign off on one of these. One of many reasons the system is kind of set up in such a way that everybody is driven to work thru a small handful of pre-approved "inside track" production organizations to get access to the big time; you want to be taken under the wing of an established partner who will maybe not steal from you too badly, on the assumption that a fractional ownership of *something* is worth more than complete ownership of *nothing*.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gav BottRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on May 18, 2010 at 12:02:24 am

BBC and just about all other UK channels have had this system for years.

Sign the form 1st, then they will open the envelope containing your proposal.

At the time the waiver forms were introduced the explanation I remember was "we get so many ideas sent to us, of course there will be lots just like your already on our desk - because we make a show/series very like yours doesn't mean we stole your idea - just that we have lots of ideas sent to us and one is bound to be just like yours."

A flawless argument………….But if you want to play with them you have to play by their rules.

The Brit in Brisbane
The Pomme in Production - Brisbane Australia.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Beth DonicaRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on May 14, 2013 at 12:47:42 am

I entered a reality show idea into the Producers Guild of America's Producers Showcase competition this year, and it was one of the five semi-finalists. I have no idea if this is a legit competition, however, I did note that the contract I signed from Ryan Seacrest Productions (who is awarding a development deal to the winner) included some scary language regarding "shows that they might already have in development being similar to your submission ..."

Does anyone know anything about Ryan Seacrest Productions and the PGA Proshow?

Thank you! My show idea is perfect for Animal Planet ... but after reading the horror stories I have no earthly idea what to do!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sarah SandersonRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Jul 7, 2012 at 2:21:13 pm

Hi guys,

I just checked my submission status with Discovery Channel and it says 'passed'.

When I have submitted to other producer portals (outside of the U.S.) they either state Approved or Rejected.

I've never seen the word 'passed' before.

Can anyone clarify for me please?

Cheers

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

amit chakrabortyRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:08:28 pm

hi sarah
im new to this forum or even new to producers portal in discovery,im from india and have a brilliant idea about a special that i wanted to share at the portal but im yet to understand what i nd to write exactly in the project description part as ive just read that uve got ur idea passed

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

grinner hesterRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on May 23, 2010 at 3:06:50 am

I don't suggest the portal. I've heard no horror stories but you'll obviously be better represented.
I imagine they get a lot of show ideas through the portal.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christine DiMiceliRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 8:24:21 pm

Have you submitted your idea via the writers guild in the form of a treatment? It's cheap, provides proof of creative ownership and is time-date stamped. Always do this first.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mary GerberRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Nov 11, 2010 at 8:30:48 pm

Hi, could you instruct on how to make that happen? Thanks so much

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cynthia dimariaRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 7:00:29 pm

will not work even with proof of creation ....not yet at least.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tami LynnRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Oct 24, 2010 at 1:00:06 am

I submitted my Treatment that is registered and copyright, to the Discovery's Animal Planet Producers Portal in early April 2010. I never heard back from them and contacted them 11 weeks later. I left messages and 2 days later I received a 'pass' on the Producers Portal, along with an ANIMAL PLANET email stating..."Animal Planet is really looking for human stories rather than animal ones." Six weeks later, I was contacted by one of my personal contacts highlighted in my Treatment telling me...they were contacted by a producer from ANIMAL PLANET. ANIMAL PLANET WAS DEVELOPING MY EXACT TREATMENT SUBMISSION. I immediately contacted my attorney.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 24, 2010 at 4:33:32 am

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim FrechetteRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Oct 26, 2010 at 2:45:49 pm

Hi Tami,
Sorry to hear that. Your situation is the what I wanted to try and avoid and still produce a show but I can see there is no future in that. I see people on craigslist in my area looking for freelancers for work that they are doing for the Discovery channel. A local event had 2 shooters from Discovery here and they just go around shooting footage for them. Apparently Discovery is doing their own editing, etc.

One way or another someone with a creative idea will be screwed out of their creativity with this portal process. It is sad and poisons many people in the process.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 26, 2010 at 6:43:59 pm

Thanks Tim for your response. I wish everyone going through this type of ordeal would contact each other and stand strong together, it just might help us all.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Janice CelesteRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Jul 20, 2011 at 9:39:31 pm

It's happening to me right now. The show, a carbon copy of my idea even the exact title, is going to air on the 24th on a cable network. I 'protected' the idea, so I thought through WGA but it seems that ideas can't really be protected and you have to find the person who stole the idea to get the smoking gun. There is a lot of turn over in these companies and anyone can take your idea someplace else after it was rejected in the Producer's Portal.

If you make a pilot of the series, then you are more protected. I also recommend copyright. Best is to have representation - that's the only way.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 21, 2011 at 6:28:10 am

When I submitted to Discovery's Animal Planet Producers Portal, I did not submit an idea...I submitted a full detailed treatment with animal organizations attached to my treatment. Animal Planet had my treatment for nearly 12 weeks and never contacted me or returned any of my calls. It was only when one of my animal organizations contacted me and informed me that another producer from Animal Planet was contracted to do my exact treatment. Currently, Discovery's attorneys are saying...well the submission agreement was signed. This makes absolutely no sense at all...a producer cannot submit to the Producers Portal without signing this agreement. A good attorney has got to look into this to protect all producers from this type of unethical behavior from the Discovery Channel or any other network.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 21, 2011 at 3:51:10 pm

I am so sorry you went through that. Was that the first project that you were trying to get produced through Discovery?

Did you ever get your project going?

I tell you what, I just feel defeated as far as networking with these people, not just Discovery but anyone who has experience in getting a show or series on the the air whether it's network or cable. Oh sure,you can pay to get the knowledge. Why does it have to be so difficult. It just makes it so hard for someone who is passionate about what they do and they just want to move further ahead in their career and try to succeed! If I had the knowledge and hands on experience, I would want to help someone get ahead if they were sincere about it. Not everything is about money and prestige it's about doing what you love! Maybe I just haven't hit on the right blog or website yet but grrrrrrrr!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 23, 2011 at 1:28:55 am

Hi Mary,
I am one of those producers that would like for all producers that have been screwed by Discovery or National Geographic or any other network to come forward. My attorney suggest that a class action suit would be suggested. I was screwed by 'E' Channel in 2004, Discovery's Animal Planet in June of 2010, and screwed by NatGeo Wild October 2010. If you or anyone who reads this wants to join together, please call me at 818-888-8264.
Thanks Tami Lynn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 15, 2011 at 5:18:53 pm

They did the same to me! I am so without words. The rich stay richer...What the hell. Sorry they for their actions. They will never have to own up to anything. The producers portal is a portal for stealing. Botttom line. I would like to see the submissions they have produced from some free lance artist/production (indie) firm. I bet not one.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 15, 2011 at 7:02:14 pm

we should talk. I did the same . not to the t but yes the same format.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:19:17 pm

they did it to me
CABLE’S #1 NEW ORIGINAL SERIES, GOLD RUSH: ALASKA, RETURNS JANUARY 7 FOR SEVEN CONSECUTIVE ALL-NEW PREMIERES
Discovery Channel's GOLD RUSH: ALASKA continues to stake its claim on Fridays, with the December 17 premiere episode delivering 2.91 million viewers (P2+). Todd Hoffman wants Discovery Channel's 'Gold: Alaska' to inspire viewers with message of hope? This is my whole concept project description verbatim! Mine highlighted in gray’s guess the producers portal is a portal to steal from others.
Title Exploration & Mining of Gold (Gold Fever 2008- )
Short Description THE NEW ADVANCED WAYS OF GOLD MINING.THE
RECOVERY OF GOLD AND THE EXPLORATION PROCESS OF
GOLD.THE LIVES OF THE MEN AND WOMEN THAT DO
THIS .THE MINE AT LARGE IS LOCATED IN NORTHERN
CALIFORNIA. THIS REALITY SHOW WILL ALSO GIVE HOPE TO THE VIEWER IN ANY PART OF THE WORLD THAT THE USA STILL HAS NOT TAPPED OUT ITS FINEST NATURAL RESOURCE. WITH A NEW PRESIDENT IN OFFICE AND OUR NATIONAL DEBT IN TURMOIL. THIS PRODUCTION WILL SHOW THE WORLD THAT THE DOLLAR STILL HAS A SOLID FOUNDATION FOR OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN AND SO ON .THIS SHOW WOULD BE POLITICALLY CORRECT AS FAR AS TIMING. IT WOULD GIVE OUR NATIONAL VIEWERS HOPE AND SHOW SOME LIGHT AT THE END OF A LONG ECONOMIC REHABILITATION .IT MIGHT EVEN HAVE SOME POSITIVE IMPACT ON TO DAYS MARKET.
Full Project Description (Treatment)THE PROJECT DESCRIPTION IS ALL ASPECTS OF GOLD MINING.THE EXCITEMENT,THE HISTORY,AND THE LIVES OF THE MEN AND WOMEN THAT DO THIS .THIS PROJECT HAS ALL KINDS OF HISTORY,ENTERTAINMENT ,EDUCATION,FUN AND ADVENTURE.GOLD FEVER WILL TAKE CONTROL OF ALL VIEWERS YOUNG AND OLD. Cynthia Holbrook Dimaria

I would like to speak with someone in regards to why Discovery Channel took my concept for a reality show. I have proof that I submitted a reality show about Gold Mining (Bedrock Mining). I have have the original correspondence between myself and the Discovery Channel. Along with numerous producer's and mining companies. I have the written concept and the in detail plan of action. The Discovery Channel has not only taken my idea but my whole concept of the reality shows fundamentals (That I wrote and pitched). From the type of mining to behind the scenes of the reality of the miners. I also want to take note that I did protect myself through a third party. I archived my material through a third party. I have a copy from Discovery Producers Portal of my submission. I have a copy of the submission notification. I have a copy of the in depth break down of the concept in submission form. Thank You for your time.Please let me know the protocol I need to take. I would like to av
oid a legal battle. Cynthia Dimaria
Dear cynthia l dimaria :
Your submission has been received and will be reviewed by our development
team in the next 6-8 weeks. Proposals are evaluated based on originality
of idea and programming priorities in addition to other criteria. All
ideas are reviewed in the order in which they are received. You will
receive an email from our development team after your proposal has been
reviewed.
Idea Title : Exploration & Mining Of Gold (Gold Fever 2009 ) (Gold Rush)
"Epithermal Style" vein system with visible "High Grade Gold" (1000+ OPT) One thousand ounces per ton plus and another very rich alluvial gravel channel in "Virgin" material (Placer ) in Nevada's historically richest Placer gold district. This material has tested at 5 ounces gold per yard on bedrock with 10 to 15 feet of overburden (The only difference is the current shows location) Network : Discovery Channel - US
Submission id : 7B451
Submitted on: 11/06/2008 06:34:05 PM
Discovery eSubmissions site URL:
Please note: this is an automated email notification. Please do not reply
to this email directly. Dear cynthia dimaria,
Your Project Is Now Archived For Proof-of-Creation. Details As Follows Name:cynthia dimaria
Author Address :3404 east 11th street long beach california 90804
Your IP Address During Registration:66.214.40.207
Social Security Number:SSN
Project Title:gold mining reality show
Material Form:Concept
Intended Outlet:Television Program
Your CV Number :CV2337
Date and Time :11/4/2008 2:01:59 PMDate and Time :11/4/2008 2:01:59 PM

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Feb 15, 2011 at 3:04:14 pm

Unbelievable! There has to be a way around this. I've learned that it's all in who you know! No one trusts one another because of behavior like this. I'm at a loss.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Tim FrechetteRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 4:55:00 pm

WOW Cynthia, that is a kick in the face. They are very blatant and probably take on the "So Sue Us" attitude. I hope you can find a good lawyer and drain these guys. It is piss poor unethical business practices like this that rob true entrepreneurs and creative talent.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 15, 2011 at 5:23:24 pm

I am sick to my stomach you have no idea. I was at a friends house with my son and he said oh did you have some gold mine thingy going. I said what are you talking about then he told me!!!!!!I just sat there untill it hit me.Wow.....WTF....Wow. Ok now what. I started smoking again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 15, 2011 at 5:27:04 pm

I am just sick over it. I dont know where to start.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mervin ReyesRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Aug 24, 2013 at 7:12:23 pm

I just wanted to know if I had an idea to pitch a certain tv show on Discovery, what should I do?

Mervin Reyes

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 24, 2013 at 8:57:24 pm

Run?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter CarrRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 11:44:40 pm

STOP SENDING THEM YOUR IDEAS!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

by on Feb 27, 2011 at 12:46:45 am

I am so sorry to hear how many producers projects are being stolen from Discovery. Discovery and National Geographic did the same to me. I am meeting with my attorney to discuss the 'terms' of the Discovery agreement that we all have to sign. To me, the Discovery's introduction to producers sounds inviting. I even had words with the head of a department regarding these terms, and she answered..."Discovery would never steal another producer's project, and if they are interested in the concept, you will definitely be notified." This is a lie and if none of you do nothing about this, Discovery will continue. A reminder...in January 2010, the writers won their case against all the major networks and studios for 70M, and there is no reason not to at least hear what a litigation attorney advises. Producers...please contact me.
Tami Lynn
818-804-8264 cell

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 15, 2011 at 5:10:23 pm

Did you read my post? They steal your everything!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul ThurstonDiscovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 9:20:38 pm

Discovery (Discovery Networks, Discovery Channel, Discovery Communications and or similar), as a legal entity, exists primarily in the USA and Canada. They, the USA Corporation have nothing to do with they, the Canada Corporation. Both share the same Trade Mark, “Discovery.” This is important because if you’re going to sue, you have to understand who, in what country, stole what.

For example, the Canada Corp is open to receiving finished shows that are shot/edited in HDCAM or transferred to HDCAM from some other HD technology (not HDV.) They are not open to receiving finished shows in SD video.

The USA Corp is not open to accepting any programs, unless it comes from their known providers, which happen to set themselves up as a provider early in the decade. These shows have been market tested and proven to fit the marketing requirements of Discovery USA.

Neither of these Corporations, Canada Corp or USA Corp, are open to receiving show ideas that are not already in tangible form, tape, because they are not interested in financing any shows. They want somebody else to pay for the producing of these shows.

If your idea was “stolen,” it probably means the idea had already been submitted as a finished TV show by somebody prior to your submission. Again, because Discovery is not willing or able to finance anything that is not already edited and shot by somebody else. They, one of the two corporations, the USA Corp or the Canada Corp, may from time to time appear like they are making a show, but the reality is, it was paid for by somebody else (as a co production per se, between some government grant and or private grant from somewhere.)

Having said this, “Discovery” in any of its corporate structures does buy stuff from producers, and boy do they shop for shows at the Cannes Film Festival and similar. But they, the USA or Canada Corp, are shopping for finished/edited shows. They are not interested in ideas of shows... because they, the USA Corp or Canadian Corp do not have the human power to make such shows or the money to pay for the producing of such shows.

Discovery USA, may from time to time buy finished shows and re-edit them. These shows are made by others and sold, at a discount to Discovery USA or others, so Discovery USA may put it’s intro and ending. These shows fill up the programming requirements of the other properties (cable networks) Discovery owns in various other countries.

Now, having said this, the USA Corp does have “some” editing equipment. But this equipment is mostly Standard Definition stuff used to guaranty the shows they contract out fulfill broadcasting standards for NTSC.

Please be advised that Discovery, as a trademark, is used by many Corporations around the world, to buy and make available programming. That does not mean, these other Corporations have anything to do with the USA or Canada Corporations... they do not. The point is, if you’re going to sue, you have to make sure, again, who exactly stole what and in what country…

Now, what about the flagship shows of Discovery Network. Shows such as the Deadliest Catch and similar, don’t they, Discovery, own it. If you look at the credits, you will see who “in reality” made, the show. Discovery may have negotiated to “own” the show rights, but it’s shot/edited by an external production company. They, Canada Corp or USA Corp, may pay for these shows, but that’s an exception and not the norm.

Hope this helps

-----------------------------------------------
Paul Thurston
Producer
Chile

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 15, 2011 at 10:57:42 pm

http://www.google.com/search?q=On+location+shoot+with+discovery+channel&sou... Hi is is a link to few shows they are shooting or have shot. This is Usa not Canada. I submitted my work through the West Coast portal on there web site. Thank You for the information I will check up on it. Cynthia

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 16, 2011 at 3:31:11 pm

Cynthia, may I email you privately?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Paul ThurstonRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 9:01:49 pm

Okay, the short answer is forget the Producer’s Portal for now. The Portal is setup primarily for “their” known providers and not “us.”

The “Discovery” known Providers have set themselves up in the past decade as Providers and the process to become a Provider is not automatic, it takes deep pockets. They, the Providers, too had to make shows at first that had next to no budget and had to Produce and Post Produce primarily out of “their” pockets.

A Provider also has to have Errors and Omission Insurance. This Insurance Policy is used to pay the Lawyers of “Discovery” when “Discovery” gets sued or is named in a lawsuit related to one of the shows they broadcast. EO insurance is expensive and its related costs come out the pocket of the Provider.

Discovery, via its many outlets and legal structures, is not the only “entity” that buys shows. But, your show must already be in tangible form, tape, for it to be considered by these “other” broadcasters. (Cannes film Festival is the place you set yourself up to sell your stuff.)

On a far side note, if you have deep pockets to Produce and Post Produce a series, of whatever genre, you probably then have enough money, or have access to enough money to actually negotiate free airtime on other outlets hungry for “free” shows that fit their marketing / programming requirements.

Mary Gerber asked:
“Is there something in writing within the producers portal specs. where Discovery spells out to people who are submitting ideas that they really are not accepting ideas but finished programs? If there is, I missed it.”

The info is not found in the Producer Portal website, since the portal is for those who already have a working relationship with Discovery.

Now, you will probably still make your show regardless. But the info I’ve provided is just to orient you into the realities of Production as it stands now.

Paul Thurston
Producer
Chile

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 29, 2011 at 4:25:06 am

There are so many of us that have submitted our projects to the Discovery and National Geographic Portals and have received passes or even never heard back from them. Than months later we either see or hear about our exact project on their networks. I am exhausted from this and refuse to submit any further on these portals. However, I believe we should be heard. If there are any of you interested in speaking out on this subject and the injustice of it all, please connect with me. I feel this is an interesting topic for Piers Morgan. Tami Lynn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Dec 1, 2011 at 10:10:55 pm

Any one can email me cynthiadimaria@gmail.com happy holidays!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 21, 2012 at 12:59:31 am

Hi Mary i never herd anything from you.What do you think I should do? I cant find a attorney. Thanks Cynthia PS Some say I should move on but its so hard.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 16, 2011 at 3:27:01 pm

Thank you for the insight!

What then, in your opinion, is the best way to utilize the producers portal?

Is there something in writing within the producers portal specs. where Discovery spells out to people who are submitting ideas that they really are not accepting ideas but finished programs? If there is, I missed it.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Jim SharpRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Oct 28, 2011 at 3:30:29 pm

Idea! Everyone in this post should get together and do a documentary about what has happened! Seriously! We have the tools and proof. If it gets enough buzz, it will get coverage and possibly results.

Use your given talent to fight back!

Count me in!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 28, 2011 at 7:58:41 pm

I hear constant complaints about the Producers Portals, stealing ideas. One person cannot go after these icons demonstrating this type of unprofessional behavior over and over again. Its takes a group. I am one that also had bad experiences both with the Discovery Channel and National Geographic. Count me in on any group speaking out about this.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Oct 28, 2011 at 8:03:34 pm

I am very serious about producing a mini documentary about this. Have all of the involved credited.

I feel if it gets out there and enough people see it, there might just be a chance of getting some sort of recognition regarding this issue.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 1, 2011 at 10:05:09 pm

-- Hi all its been a while! I had to move out of the state and regroup so I could come back to California and deal with being ripped off! So a update: The Atty for the Discovery Channel contacted me and gave me the typical I don't have a case , I have limited producer experience and I was not the only one that wanted to do a Gold show....Then he brought up the clause that the Discovery owns all the submissions when submitted to the producers portal. I really would like to paste the letter but I am afraid that I might get in trouble for doing so. So on that note I am just giving you the break down(less wordy and pretentious ) . But I will paste my last email to them I think you will get the just of it. My last email to the atty for Discovery.

The email you sent me was what I expected an infringer would send. I sent in a treatment for a reality show regarding gold mining a specific type of mining.Even my pitch of “Hope”, to the viewers was taken and used in a condescending way. My treatment is archived and protected. The producer’s portal is unethical if in fact the Discovery Channel uses its small print to steal the creative material from others. I am sure you have loopholes to support your claim of no infringement but be aware there are loopholes to support my case of infringement. I am not the only one this has happened to via the producer’s portal. I now see that I will have to be strategic in my pursuit for justice. I guess you and the Discovery Channel are in the class of the 1 percent and I am in the mere 99 percent. As the news tells us the general population is tired of being taken advantage of. This is why there is a revolt nation wide. I repeat the producers portal has done this before I am sure with the proper research there is a hornets’nest waiting to be free. Thanks for the email; I know you are doing your job. Cynthia Dimaria

Cynthia Dimaria

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 1, 2011 at 10:20:24 pm

Hi jim count me in! We should all collaborate on the reality of the production of a reality show ! The trials and eras.....LOL. I have a couple up my sleave. But unless I have some back up no more written work. Even though in around about way I had a number one reality show! This season is going to be starting OMG in two weeks. Must keep a eye on the ratings....hehe ...I have to laugh at this or I would cry. Peace all

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 1, 2011 at 10:31:29 pm

Anyone interested, feel free to e-mail me at js@yodj.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 21, 2012 at 1:01:19 am

Hi Jim are you going to do anything with the Discovery channel? I know I should move on but its so hard. I am sick over it!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 5, 2011 at 9:20:11 pm

Hi my email is cynthiadimaria@gmail.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 18, 2012 at 5:40:54 pm

For what it's worth, I am the latest person to be ripped off from History Channel. The show "Abandoned" I submitted to History back in Feb 2011. It is now on History Channel, but it's not mine. After contacting A&E Entertainment, They basically said that I am out of luck!!!!

My next documentary is about how Networks rip off ideas!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 18, 2012 at 7:35:50 pm

Jim you can count me in on anything you do inregards The Discovery Channel! T

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rubi HerreraRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Jun 25, 2012 at 12:35:38 pm

I'm so glad I found this feed because I was going to submit my show through the Discovery Portal. I have a question, though...when I went on the portal and registered it asks for information like a tax id number for your business, those that have submitted do you have production companies? I'm assuming you do, but I had to ask. Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ron LigranoRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Aug 14, 2012 at 12:09:00 am

Hi folks,

Its always disheartening to here people getting their ideas ripped off by others, and it is even more disappointing when its one American ripping off another American.

I am a producer and publisher and I am currently working on one of the biggest Hollywood rip-off stories ever. It is quite evident that the rip-off trend is getting worse and it probably won’t get better. I love the Documentary idea and would like to take a more in-depth look at it. Lets figure out a way to get together and talk about it.

The real way to win is always play the game the way “they” do; instead of going to “them” make “them” come to you.

Ron Ligrano
Fire Moon Pictures

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Aug 15, 2012 at 10:00:47 pm

Hello Ron at Fire Moon Pictures...I am traveling but read your remarks and would love to connect. Please give me a call on my cell 818-804-8264 when convenient for you.
Thanks for thinking of me,
Tami Lynn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter CarrRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Aug 25, 2013 at 10:41:32 pm

It's funny. Most producers, networks & studios don't accept unsolicited material, in other words if you aren't represented by an agent or entertainment lawyer they wont even open the envelope. A general rule of thumb is to register your material with the WGA before submitting it. Although you can not copyright an 'idea ' what this will do is establish you as the creator of the 'idea '. Remember EVERYTHING has been done & there are millions of people writing ideas similar to your. As for 'stealing' your idea?, that practice rarely happens any more. If a network did that they soon would have a reputation that will kill themselves. I hear every so often "I submitted a property about 5 friends living together and they passed but 3 months later 'Friends' came out. Obviously they stol my idea" when in fact the network had been developing the series far before you submitted your idea which is why they passed.
If you are worried then ask Discovery to sign a Non-Disclosure when submitting. The form they want you to sign is standard BUT does give them the power leaving you with non. Re-write the form and note your concerns. If they are sincerely interested in your idea they will have no problem with that.
Let me know how you make out.
Peter Carr, Development Producer-Series Television
Vancouver

Peter Carr
Creative/Development Producer
Vancouver,BC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erin M SmithRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Sep 14, 2013 at 4:13:51 pm

I also have a history documentary idea I would like to submit & see produced, ultimately on a channel watched by the general public (hopefully a relatively respected channel, but even History Channel is better than nothing).

I would naturally want to lead or at least participate in the research being filmed, as I am truly interested in the subject & somewhat qualified to do so. Not to mention the unique, yet practical theory covers a topic of universal fascination.

How do I initiate this without losing involvement, credit, & of course monetary gain? I am an Archaeologist of sorts & not a business person.

Who wants in?

Thanks sincerely :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 14, 2013 at 8:27:40 pm

"but even History Channel is better than nothing"

Obviously, you have not watched their current offerings for a while.

You want to make money, pitch them "Ghost Wrestlers", where W.W.E. wrestles try to bust ghosts, and end up wrestling inside a haunted house using night vision cameras.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Erin M SmithRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Sep 14, 2013 at 8:41:31 pm

LOL So true. HC's quality programming was on its way out when I was on the way in. I gave up on it after high school. There's enough wonder in my field to inspire & entertain without bringing in a 'Squatch or a "haint". I will wait 'til I'm closer to retirement before throwing dignity & professionalism out the window.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul ThurstonRe: Discovery Channel's Producers Portal.... Any experience?
by on Sep 15, 2013 at 8:34:56 pm

How to get your show idea off the ground.

It’s been now two years since I was here and I’d like to share some insight to all those who would like to make a show but don’t know how to make it appear on a cable network.

1. Every once in a while, needs for new shows appear on cable TV networks. The best place to learn about those needs it to visit the American Film Market convention in California. You may need to visit this event every year.
http://www.americanfilmmarket.com/

2. The needs right now are for Reality series. The definition of REALITY is bizarre at least, and so should be reviewed and understood very carefully.

Listen to these recordings and memorize all the things they say:
http://producingunscripted.com/category/podcasts/

Read this:
http://ht.ly/mQ4mF

3. Familiarize yourself with this too:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tlc-honey-boo-boo-alana-thompson-3679...

4. Then, familiarize yourself with this too:

http://www.producersguild.org/?coc_ts_3

5. While you’re at it, stuff that’s always good to know... thank me later:

http://www.twoadverbs.com/?page_id=110

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/theinsidepitch

6. IF video, editing, music, and writing is not for you, yet you want to make something because your subject matter is unique in TWO different ways, THEN you should talk to one of the folks who are here and pitch yourself to us.

Familiarize yourself to the pitch meeting, you should know this regardless:

http://goodinaroom.com/blog/the-pitch-meeting-structure-everyone-should-kno...

7. ONLY if you are the subject of a possible show, (you think you can carry a show, appear in front of the cameras all the time), either because your life is unique in TWO ways or you believe your family is unique in TWO ways, you will and shall contact Michael Van Dyck, Literary & Packaging Agent at Paradigm LA.

Meet Michael:

http://www.iaemagazine.com/feed/Vol3iss16/michael-van-dyck/michael-van-dyck...

If you are not able to find contact information for Pardigm or Michael on the internet, you should be ashamed of yourself. Try this: firstletterofthefirstname+lastname(vandyck)at paradigmagency.com

-Paul

Paul Thurston
Producer
Chile

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter