Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
BUSINESS AND MARKETING:Business and Marketing ForumBusiness and Marketing ArticlesBusiness and Marketing Podcasts

Video Production Invoice Templates

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bob O'HearnVideo Production Invoice Templates
by on Jul 4, 2009 at 4:19:27 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might be able to find /purchase a video production invoice template (if there is such a thing) that I can personalize. Something that has a professional look. I could spend some time and create something in InDesign or some other layout program but it's not the best use of my time right now. I am generating invoices monthly and would like the invoice to represent the quality of work I do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bob O'Hearn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Video Production Invoice Templates
by on Jul 4, 2009 at 6:48:46 pm

We do all our invoicing through Quickbooks Pro. I have probably over 100 categories of services, items and such so all I have to do is bring up, say "Video Editing," enter the hours and my hourly rate is already in there calculated.

Quickbooks also allows me to email invoices securely to clients so it's very rare that I actually have to mail anything.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rich RubaschRe: Video Production Invoice Templates
by on Jul 4, 2009 at 11:45:05 pm

On track with Walter, you will probably need an accounting software eventually anyway so that's where you will find templates. Also if you use Filemaker Pro you can purchase template files for accounting and invoice templates.

We use Sage Software's Peachtree and I build my invoice templates there.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob O'HearnRe: Video Production Invoice Templates
by on Jul 5, 2009 at 11:56:23 am

Walter, Rich,

Thanks so much for the information. We do use Quick Books Pro but our bookkeeper was using a word template for some reason and I didn't think it looked very professional. I am very busy but I'm gonna have to pay more attention to details.

Thanks again,

Bob O'Hearn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve KownackiRe: Video Production Invoice Templates
by on Jul 6, 2009 at 12:09:43 pm

I stopped using my bookkeeper from the new CPA firm we have because I know more about the workings of quickbooks than she does. You really want to use the invoicing function because then you post the receivable against it. How and what was your bookkeeper doing with WORD? They'd have to enter the data anyway. QB nicely tracks things so you know who is behind and easily send statements - with finance charges of course (and you can't charge that unless it's written on the original invoice). YES, it is your moral imperative to know your business' financial status.

And another thought: The books are the books. That is the business end of things. Black and white. Your name, address, a description and a total. Get a box of #10 double-window envelopes at your local office supply store, don't use your expensive pre-printed stationary. Don't think that because your invoice looks like a work of art it will get paid any faster or they will hire you for more jobs. Beancounters look at the number, make sure it's correct and type in into quickbooks as a payable and file it away.

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Video Production Invoice Templates
by on Jul 6, 2009 at 12:22:32 pm

[Steve Kownacki] "And another thought: The books are the books. That is the business end of things. Black and white. Your name, address, a description and a total. Get a box of #10 double-window envelopes at your local office supply store, don't use your expensive pre-printed stationary. Don't think that because your invoice looks like a work of art it will get paid any faster or they will hire you for more jobs. Beancounters look at the number, make sure it's correct and type in into quickbooks as a payable and file it away. "

Yep. Our invoices are a stock, basic invoice, easy to read. I don't even have our logo on it because who cares, it's just an invoice.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob O'HearnRe: Video Production Invoice Templates
by on Jul 6, 2009 at 2:22:45 pm

Steve, Walter,

Just what I needed to hear. It's the numbers that count. Thank you.

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Video Production Invoice Templates
by on Jul 7, 2009 at 10:15:34 pm

[Steve Kownacki] "Don't think that because your invoice looks like a work of art it will get paid any faster or they will hire you for more jobs. Beancounters look at the number, make sure it's correct and type in into quickbooks as a payable and file it away."

I think Steve is right that an invoice need not be a work of art, but it is still an important piece of business communication that shouldn't be overlooked. Invoices should be designed for clarity, and this includes both the invoice template and the way your write up your invoices.

Put yourself in your clients' shoes. What would you want in an invoice that you are paying out against? I want to be able to pick out instantly the vendor the invoice is coming from, the project the invoice is for, and the total due. I want the line item charges to be clear, I want the terms to be clear, and I want to easily reference and reconcile it against a PO or an estimate. I want to feel I am being charged what I expected. I don't want to see surprises, and I don't want to have to ask questions. I don't want to have to spend a lot of time making sure the charges are correct.

You want to make it easy for your clients to write you checks, not harder. A pretty invoice won't help, and a cluttered or incompletely written invoice won't help, but a clear and functional invoice (which in my opinion certainly includes the stock invoice templates in Quickbooks) will.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve KownackiRe: Video Production Invoice Templates
by on Jul 7, 2009 at 11:00:18 pm

Here's mine, hasn't changed in 18 years... except for the occasional address change. Folds up nicely, looks like typical business correspondence. Some of the other great functions of software are time tracking (it logs your time and then posts on an invoice), you can see all of your outstanding invoices, they generate tons of reports on receivables, payables, profit and loss, etc. use it to track profitable customers so you know who to send gifts to that's where you spend the creative time.

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]