Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AUDITION, SOUNDBOOTH:ForumTutorialsTagAuditionSoundbooth

Keep voice, remove background noise and music

COW Forums : Adobe Audition, Soundbooth

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ryan MoyerKeep voice, remove background noise and music
by on Jun 28, 2009 at 10:51:59 pm

I have a rather long video clip. At several points throughout the clip, there is some background noise and also some background music that occurs at the same time as someone speaking.

I would like to eliminate the background noise and music so I am left with ONLY the person's voice. When I run it through Adobe Audition 3 I can use favorites->vocal remover which perfectly removes the vocals and leaves the background noise/music. This is the opposite effect of what I'm looking for, but I figure if it can remove the vocals it must also be able to somehow give me just the vocals.

Is this possible?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Emmett AndrewsRe: Keep voice, remove background noise and music
by on Jun 28, 2009 at 11:32:32 pm

Use the Center Channel Extractor. Using the standard channel mixer, it can't be done.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ryan MoyerRe: Keep voice, remove background noise and music
by on Jun 28, 2009 at 11:58:06 pm

The center channel extractor gives me the same result. It deletes JUST the voice and leaves everything else in. I want to leave the voice in and delete everything else.

I tried extracting all channels except the center individually (left, right, and surrounds) and it doesn't change the output at all. It sounds exactly the same as it did before editing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steven TalleyRe: Keep voice, remove background noise and music
by on Jun 30, 2009 at 3:05:44 am

In the CCE window select "Acapella" for the Effect Preset. Or you can try "Lift Vocals 10db"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 1, 2009 at 3:23:34 pm

Unfortunately neither of those worked.

It seems pretty crazy to me, that there are 5 different ways I can remove the vocals without the background noise being affected at all but no way to just leave the vocals. Obviously the program can recognize the vocals since it has no problem deleting them so it should be able to separate them too. There's no way for it just to sort of extract them so I can paste them back in.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 1, 2009 at 5:38:54 pm

Well, in case anyone comes across this in a google search a year from now, I guess I'll post up the half-solution I came up with.

In a few of the clips I was able to find sections where there was the background noise with no voice over it. I highlighted those sections, right-clicked and chose to use them as the pattern for noise reduction, and then chose (non-adaptive) noise reduction on the whole file. This worked perfectly on some of the clips, but on others where the background noise was less constant it would not work at all, obviously.

So at least I got some parts of it cleaned up.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

China SparrowessRe: Keep voice, remove background noise and music
by on Jun 25, 2010 at 3:19:29 pm

Well, you know how you said "Incase one year from now, someone stumbles upon this on google, I'll post my semi solution."

Here's the thing. I'm looking to do the complete opposite of what you are doing. I have several clips from about 7 different movies, a short documentary, and a tv show with background music in which I fancy. I found your post extremely helpful, but before I go downloading anything to my computer, I'd like to know if you could help me out on a couple things. I take it since you have removed the background music out of some of your videos, you can do the same except instead of keeping the vocals and getting rid of the rest, you can keep the background music and get rid of the rest. I understand the analogy that you cannot "Unbake the Cake", However you can suck the filling out of a jelly donut without doing alot of damage to the pastry. I actually have been looking for a solution to my problem for over a year and I was wondering if you can help me.

Thank you so much in advance,

China

"Take what you can , Give nothing Back"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 25, 2010 at 4:33:47 pm

I am a pretty novice user of Audition (I'm actually a video guy and just use Audition for some of the audio stuff when I don't have someone else to do it for me), however from my experience the route you're looking to go (remove vocals, keep background music) is much easier than the route I was looking to go (remove background music, keep vocals).

Audition has several presets for removing vocals from a track that work fairly well. It does not have any presets to remove everything EXCEPT vocals (which is what I was trying to do).

I don't have the program with me right now so I don't recall exactly where they are, but a quick google for adobe audition remove vocals should turn up lots of results.

As with everything though, your actual results are going to be very hit or miss dependent on the track you're using. Some tracks it can pull out the vocals without you even being able to tell they were ever there in the first place (rare), and some tracks it makes the thing sound worse than it did when the vocals were in there. Usually, it falls somewhere in between. If you've had trouble removing the vocals with other programs, I'm not sure that Audition is going to be able to do much better than them, though like I said, the presets do exist in the program.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 26, 2010 at 4:09:06 pm

Are you able to put the video file itself into Audition, or do you need to extract the audio file, as I've been told?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 26, 2010 at 5:06:22 pm

I don't believe you can pull the whole video file in.

I was doing my editing work in Sony Vegas. From there I just set Audition as the default audio editor, then I could right click on the audio portion of my clip and I would be presented with "edit in adobe audition", which would open up the audio file in audition and any changes I saved there were automatically converted into my Sony Vegas project.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 4, 2010 at 12:41:51 am

Would it be smart to convert the video directly into an mp3 or should I use something like AV Video Morpher?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 21, 2010 at 3:26:33 pm

Okay,

I attempted to download and use the program Adobe Audition. Well found the channel extractor and the presets that you talked about, however, I only had the trial version of Audition and those commands were not available at that point. I'm not as financially equipped to buy that program right now, however when the time comes, I will buy it, but until then, do you know of any other programs that will do the commands that Adobe Audition wouldn't let me?

China Sparrowess

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 25, 2010 at 4:05:17 pm

Well, I saw your post earlier on google. I happen to be looking for the same yet completely opposite of what you were looking for. I have some clips from about 7 moives, a mini documentary, and a tv show with nice background music in it. I saw your post, and I supposed since you found a way to get rid of everything except the voice in some clips, maybe you can help me get rid of everything except the background music. If you could, please tell me what program would work best (Adobe Audition Most Likely, what video file (WMv, avi, etc...) or audio file (Mp3, Wma, wtc) did u use and the process that would be best to remove the vocals and background noise. I have knowledge of the whole "You can't unbake a cake" anology, however "you can suck the filling out of a jelly donut without doing alot of damage". I actually have been looking for a solution to this problem for a little over a year. Please help me. Thanks in Advance,

China

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 4, 2009 at 2:17:09 pm

Audition doesn't recognize the voice. It finds and remove correlation between the two stereo channels. To properly isolate the vocals, there must be identical correlation in both channels on the vocals and zero correlation between the noise in each channel. As. you can imagine, that scenario isn't very common.

Emmett

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 5, 2009 at 10:47:19 pm

But that's the thing Emmett, it can remove the vocals while leaving the background music virtually unaffected, so obviously in THIS case whatever magical stars have aligned to make it such that Audition can distinguish between the vocals and the background noise. However, I can't figure out how to take that knowledge, and transfer it to only being left with the vocals rather than only being left with the background noise. Obviously audition can recognize the vocals because it can remove them no problem, but how can I then get to those vocals?

It would be like saying if I had a sentence on my computer screen that read "I like ducks because they look funny" and I wanted to separate the word "ducks", and the only thing I could do was end up with a sentence that said "I like because they look funny", but couldn't make a statement of just "ducks". Obviously I can recognize the word ducks in that sentence, so I can either remove that word or remove all the OTHER words. In my editing here, Audition can recognize the vocals because it can remove them, so there must be a way to also remove everything EXCEPT them, right?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 6, 2009 at 12:54:36 am

As I said, no magic involved and it isn't recognizing the voice. It is recognizing correlated audio. There is enough of the background noise that is both correlated and uncorrelated that your ears are tricking you into thinking that it has been untouched. The fact is, you're removing a large amount of the background noise with any of the vocal removal tools. And the "a capella" preset is doing the exact opposite. It's leaving only the correlated audio. Everything you hear when you use that preset is exactly what's being removed when you use a vocal removal tool.

What you're trying to do does not work with your analogy. A much more correct analogy is that of trying to "unbake" a cake. Take a baked cake and get the eggs out of it. I dare you to try. A good scientist could remove and isolate large portions of egg product, but they certainly wouldn't resemble eggs anymore.

The Center Channel Extractor works better than most tools because it combines traditional polarity tricks with FFT processing. You can read about the basics of phase relationship here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_cancellation

Emmett

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

George OConnellRe: Keep voice, remove background noise and music
by on Aug 24, 2009 at 3:47:25 am

Emmett,

I am unfamiliar with the software, I found your question while searching for related information on Google.

You have at some point a track with voice, music, noise and a track with just noise and music. Add them as Left track and Right track in a sound editing program but add one of them as Invert and Mix. This should leave you with the noise and music reduced or eliminated. Hopefully this might help.

George

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stanley DilleyRe: Keep voice, remove background noise and music
by on Nov 29, 2009 at 5:43:53 pm

I am 67 and find music and background noise on TV movies/shows drowning out voice. Therefore, I am also interested in removing or decreasing background sounds from voice. I have the following thought, please comment.

If a karaoke circuit can remove voice, inverting and adding the karaoke output to the original should leave the voice and delete or reduce the background sounds. It would need to be a stereo source with voice reasonably centered, which, I believe most TV sources are. I don't need complete removal of background, a reduction would be wonderful.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jv DiazRe: Keep voice, remove background noise and music
by on Sep 8, 2013 at 4:08:59 pm

use center channel extractor.. keep the side levels at the lowest level maybe, and keep the center at below +10... but you can still here some background there...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

robert romeoRe: Keep voice, remove background noise and music
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 6:00:54 pm

Hi guys

Try this

Using Audacity
Step

Find a few seconds of audio that only contains the background noise you want to remove, and nothing else. You can usually find this sound at the beginning or end of the audio file.
Step

Find the selection tool in the Audacity tools tool bar (it looks like a letter I) and click on it. Using your mouse, click and drag over the selection of audio on the waveform audio file (WAV) that has only the background noise. Make use you only select the noise, and not any sounds you want to remain in the file when you are finished.
Step

Select "Effect" from the top menu, and then scroll down to "Noise Removal."
Step

Click on the "Get Noise Profile" button on the "Noise Removal" tool screen. It will use the selected piece of the file, and attempt to remove as much of this noise as possible.
Step

Select the entire file. You can do this by clicking "Ctrl-A," or by clicking with your mouse on the left-hand side of the WAV, beneath the name of the file. Select the entire WAV form.
Step

Go back and select "Effect/Noise Removal" again. You can change the settings, such as "Noise Reduction" and "Frequency Smoothing" using the sliders. You can click the "Preview" button to hear the differences. When you are satisfied, click the "OK" button.
Using Adobe Audition
Step

Select a section of noise that is at least half a second long.
Step

Select "Effects" from the top menu, and then scroll to "Restoration" and click on "Capture Noise Reduction Profile."
Step

Highlight the entire WAV from in the main screen to remove noise from the whole file.
Step

Select "Effects/Restoration/Noise Reduction." You can experiment with the settings until you are satisfied.
Step

Save your file.
Using GarageBand '09
Step

Import your file.
Step

Open the "Track Info Pane." Select the "Edit" tab and click the "Click here to add an effect" button.
Step

Select "Speech Enhancer" from the GarageBand effects menu.
Step

Select your microphone type and voice type (male, female) and the level of noise reduction you desire.
Step

Save and export your file.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stanley DilleyRe: Keep voice, remove background noise and music
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 10:30:07 pm

Thanks for replying. That should help with those dealing with a recording, but for removing background noise and music from TV for us old guys, its not a real solution.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark KeelerRe: Keep voice, remove background noise and music
by on Aug 17, 2010 at 9:01:48 pm

Garage only works on a Mac doesn't it? Anyway I did watch one of the video's on YT with this approach, but the results were, to be honest, quite horrendous.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

scott smolinRe: Keep voice, remove background noise and music
by on Dec 21, 2010 at 3:22:52 am

In the past I used stereo equalizers to boost the mid frequencies that vocals are mostly on, and cut the high and low frequencies that noise and music are mostly on, of course this will not completely remove the noise and music just boost the vocals way above the noise and most of the music, with a PC usually theres vocal (for singing)
or speech(for speaking)preset EQ ssttings that do esentially the same thing.

Anyway this is probably the best that can be done since some of the music is actually in the same frequency range of the vocals you can't completely remove all the music without removing some of the vocals.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John MurrellRe: Keep voice, remove background noise and music
by on Nov 7, 2011 at 10:57:36 am

You need to combine a number of tools to achieve this. It will probably not be possible to completely serperate the vocal. I use MAGIX Audio Restoration which I use for general audio restoration http://www.magix.com/us/audio-cleaning-lab/. I often use its tools to widen the stereo image, seperate the centre and side channels even further. I then use bx_solo(free) http://www.brainworx-music.de/en/download?PHPSESSID=aeogopu3v7kbu0e0efe495u... or some other tool to ms decode the sound (seperate the mid channel from the stereo). Not a perfect solution.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ramtin NeydawoodRe: Keep voice, remove background noise and music
by on Dec 3, 2011 at 6:25:49 pm

Hi John,
I have a very important audio file that I needs some cleaning up. Judging from your posts, you really know what you're doing when it comes to this stuff. I was wondering if you would be willing to help me and I would gladly compensate you for your work. Please let me know...
Ramtin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

tanja taxinapraxiRe: Keep voice, remove background noise and music
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:41:06 am

hy Rian, did you find the solution about background? i'm searching the same thing... i have one skype call registrated where is the music in backgroung and i want to delete that music so i can hear the voice and conversation... so, did you find the program or the way how to do it? i would be so grateful if you can help me too. thanks in advance. bye. tanja

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ken NatanRe: Keep voice, remove background noise and music
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 1:11:28 pm

I found a solution to this. (worked for me at least)

Quite simple and straight forward!

Download (free open source!) Audacity.

Load your audio file. (Video file didnt work for me, i had to convert it to an audio before I could process the file, in my case it was a vob file)

Once loaded, select the area you want to filter/extract voice of. (Sample it first, then get excited ... :))

Then go to Effects tab and scroll down until u see Low Pass filter. Play with the parameters and im sure you will have the solution there.

(I had bad noise on my wedding video which i wanted to get rid off and it seems to have done the job:))

Good luck

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]