Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AUDITION, SOUNDBOOTH:ForumTutorialsTagAuditionSoundbooth

Only able to record the right channel

COW Forums : Adobe Audition, Soundbooth

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Pattie OlsonOnly able to record the right channel
by on May 11, 2008 at 1:16:08 pm

I am missing a setting and just can't find it or I have something connected wrong.

When recording, I am only able to record on the right channel.

I am using XP, AA 1.0, and an Alesis Firewire 12. My mic is connected on channel 1 via an XLR. Mixer to computer is firewire.

If I right click on the track to access the recording device box, stereo is selected. If I chose mono, nothing gets recorded (but I still am able to hear the audio via headphones just fine, so the mic is working).

I also have Audacity loaded and I have the exact same issue there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sincerely, Pattie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dana L. ButlerRe: Only able to record the right channel
by on May 11, 2008 at 11:21:41 pm

It sounds like it might be a mixer setting. What kind of mixer is it, and have you tried your pan settings on channel one of the board and the main outputs?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pattie OlsonRe: Only able to record the right channel
by on May 12, 2008 at 4:45:30 pm

Thank you for your response.

I am using an Alesis Multimix 12 Firewire.

Yes, the pan setting on channel one is set in the middle. When recording, I hear audio in both ears on my headphones and audio pans correctly in the phones when adjusted. The LED meter shows that it is recording in both channels. I don't see that the master control section has an option for controlling the left/right channel going out to my computer. Any other suggestions? I double checked all connections and they are tight, with good cables and based on the diagram in the Alesis book they are correctly routed.

My knowledge in audio has been weak and in the past year I've made the effort to improve my audio quality to improve my video work. I'm now being approached to use my soundbooth to record audio books, so my learning curve just got steeper.

My understanding is to record audio books in mono rather than stereo. Is that correct? If so, can I take the recorded right channel, copy it to make a left channel? Will this work or will the quality be compromised. I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks again,

Pattie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 12, 2008 at 5:33:39 pm

I don't have knowledge about recording audio books, but copying the right channel to the left shouldn't be a problem for voice over. It is perplexing that your firewire won't carry stereo to soundbooth...(or soundbooth isn't recording it as such). You could try another firewire. Not sure how far you've gotten with recording, but here's a link to better audio using Adobe Audition...(soundbooth should have equivalent). Very informative.

http://library.creativecow.net/video-tutorials/adobeaudition

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 12, 2008 at 6:47:49 pm

Another thing Pattie...(not sure if it's the same in soundbooth), but in audition, one can: Select File > New.......Audition opens a 'New Waveform' window where sample rate, channels (mono or stereo), and resolution can be set. You might check that in Soundbooth. Still, I don't see a problem with mono vocal recording and then copying the right channel to the left. You will want to record music in stereo though.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 12, 2008 at 7:40:55 pm

Thank you for the link to the tutorial, I certainly will take a look at it. I went through the Total Training DVDs for this version of Audition, but it is all geared toward music, so not too helpful for my situation.

I posted this question on the Audacity website and one response hinted that maybe something went out in the Alesis. I'll follow through with that lead and see where it gets me.

Thanks again for your input, I appreciate it.

Pattie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Frank ThomasRe: Only able to record the right channel
by on May 13, 2008 at 5:28:32 am

Are your headphones connected to the mixer, or the computer?

If headphones are connected to the computer, and the audio still pans correctly (in the phones), the problem couldn't be with the mixer. At the very least, this would be a way to find out whether or not you are actually getting a stereo signal into the computer.

How sure are you of the integrity of your firewire cable? Have you tried a different cable? I've found in the past, that firewire and USB cables can have problems that are not easily detected.

Have you tried connecting the mixer to a different computer, to see if the problem still exists?

If you try some of the things I've suggested, you might narrow things down by a process of elimination.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 15, 2008 at 2:21:49 am

The headphones are connected to the mixer.

Yes, I did try a different cable, however nothing changed.

I have a second system, however is it quite old and is used only for Photoshop. If I tried to load it up with additional software it would probably burn itself into a pile of ashes.

I called Alesis, and they suggested that I uninstall/re-install and make sure I have the latest driver. After doing that exercise I am up and operating in Audacity. In Audition I can record in multi-track view, but nothing in edit view. I'm thinking that my "vintage" Audition isn't happy with the new updates and might need to be retired.

Thank you for your response and input, I appreciate it!

Pattie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

willie tothRe: Only able to record the right channel
by on May 15, 2008 at 3:24:49 am

Go to OPTIONS > DEVICE ORDER then to the RECORD TAB hight light your device then click on USE IN EV ... WILLIE

incidental poet

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 15, 2008 at 5:09:39 pm

Aahhhh Mr. Troth,

Thank You Thank You!!!

That setting slipped under the radar on this rookie.

I SO appreciate your time and response,

Pattie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

willie tothRe: Only able to record the right channel
by on May 15, 2008 at 6:52:20 pm

No problem glad I could help ......... WILLIE

incidental poet

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook