Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AUDITION, SOUNDBOOTH:ForumTutorialsTagAuditionSoundbooth

microphone settings?

COW Forums : Adobe Audition, Soundbooth

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
John Fergusonmicrophone settings?
by on Jan 18, 2008 at 5:38:40 pm

Hello. I sing and record using Adobe Audition. I'm using the Samson CO1U microphone. My problem is that the voice almost sounds like it's coming through a megaphone.
I wonder if there are paticular settings one could recomend?
THANKS!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

willie tothRe: microphone settings?
by on Jan 18, 2008 at 7:47:00 pm

Recording directly into your computer using this type of mic is really not the way to go and is most likely your problem ... The mic is for podcast not recording vocals for music ... Also, you really need a large diaphram mic for recording vocals then I would have that plugged into a tube mic pre from there a compressor limitor which is a must for vocals, then into your computer

incidental poet

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John FergusonRe: microphone settings?
by on Jan 19, 2008 at 3:06:10 am

Although I appreciate your reply, it also drove home the amatuer I am. Hearing that this Samson was such a good mic from none other than Roger McGuinn himself, I thought it might be ok for vocals too. At 79.00, it was in my range.
All I can say is...DARN :(
I wonder, is there any sort of converter to connect an old Bogen mixer I have and then use one of my "regualr" mics?

Either way, thank you for your help.

John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 19, 2008 at 3:22:28 am

Just run your line out into the line in of your sound card ... You will have to build a cable to go from the mixer to a mini phone ... Might I suggest looking into a tube mic pre ... Presonus makes a very affordable one that is well worth the money ... http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=16

WILLIE

incidental poet

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Emmett AndrewsRe: microphone settings?
by on Jan 20, 2008 at 12:05:24 am

While the Samson isn't the highest quality mic available, I've heard acceptable results. Certainly nothing that sounded like a megaphone. That leads me to believe that this is more of a room problem...Or maybe even a faulty product. What type of room are you recording in? Is there any acoustic treatment? How far away from the mic are you while recording? Do you have a sample we could hear?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 20, 2008 at 5:18:41 pm

although the room isn't setup for acoustics, it's not echo-ey (?) by any means, like a bathroom. Usually I'm about 6" from the mic. I've thought about maybe turning down the sensitivity and moving to say 1" ? Sure I can humbly send a sample. Maybe of singing and just speaking? I will absolutely concede that my settings are off. I usually add a bit of highs, and of course, reverb! :D
Could you tell me how to post or send a sample?

Thanks!

BTW, I'm looking at the site that Willie sent me to. I have to admit that if it meant buying a mic and then other equipment to run everything to my pc, I might have to bow out, seeing I'm not very technical.

...and finally! Should I be getting email notifications of posts? I just happened to check here today and see I have replies.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 21, 2008 at 2:17:34 am

John,

You can E-mail a sample to me at loganonestudio@aol.com ... I have traveled the road from radio shack dynamic mic's to higher end tube mic's so I know where you are coming from when you talk about equipment and cost ... It comes down to just how good a sound you want to get ... For the longest time I used a shure 57 for vocals and did really well with it but once you start training your ear you it's a natural progression yo start searching out better quality (which doesn't mean big prices) ... If you have any concerns about the room just build a small 3 sided booth with blankets or hang a blanket on the wall and place the mic in front of it ... Make sure you are using a wind screen, or pop filter ... The reason I suggested using a mic pre is that it will boost your singal to noise ratio ... Less gain for a better singal makes for a cleaner sound ... I like to record my vocals around -6db ... I hope this helps and I am sure Emmett will add his twist to this as he usually does when I respond to a post but remember everyone has their own way of doing things and every idea and or suggestion can only help, I know I have learned a lot and picked up some great idea's from all who post ... Looking forward to getting your clip .............. WILLIE

incidental poet

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 21, 2008 at 9:43:10 pm

I actually really like the SM57 on vocals (sometimes). I will stand by my belief that it's one of the best mics ever concieved.

Lots of good advice from Willie here. As far as the recording level, there will always be an ongoing debate about what's "best". I don't even bother with the debating part of that one because there's no right answer. My personal preference is to record as hot as humanly possible without clipping. As long as you're getting a fairly strong signal and not clipping, whatever level you choose should be fine.

I'm still hung up on the megaphone sound...That just doesn't seem right at all. I hate to ask this and I don't mean to insult, but are you absolutely sure you're singing into the correct side of the mic? I've seen it before....More than once, where someone will be singing into the back of the diaphragm and, as a result, get a repulsive sound.

Emmett

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 22, 2008 at 12:19:59 am

Not sure why I'm not getting email notification, but...
I hope both Willie and Emmett do not mind me addressing both in my posts? Mostly to help with MY confusion! As far as getting another mic, I guess it's something to consider if it can be plugged in to my pc? Of course price too! I see the Shure mic you both like is reasonable.When you refer to "clipping" you mean. not going in to the red?
"Singing in to the wrong side of the mic..." Not an insult at all!! It's actually a strong possibility since I assumed I was able to sing anywhere! I pretty much always sing into the side with the name on it?
"I like to record my vocals around -6db " I'll look at the meters in Audition to see if I can decipher?
I will send a sample or two on Tuesday to you Willie.
Thanks to both of you Guys!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 22, 2008 at 1:59:39 am

John,

I don't think creative cow has auto notification for anyone other than the forum leaders but I could be wrong ... Singing into the logo side is the right direction and clipping is going into the red ... The 57 is the workhorse of the industry and I can't agree more with Emmett on that point ... You can plug in directly in but you will need to make an adapter to go from the XLR to your line in of your sound card ... WILLIE

incidental poet

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 22, 2008 at 6:58:56 am

There's also a device called CEntrace MicPort Pro. I don't recall the price, but a Google search should turn up some info. It turns any mic into a USB mic. And it sounds GOOOOOD. Frankly, I think it sounds better than many inexpesive preamps, like the M-Audio USB devices and such. Worth a look!

Emmett

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 22, 2008 at 3:27:42 pm

WOW! That Mic Port Pro looks fantastic! I'm tossed between first just getting the Mic Port Pro and trying it with a few mics I have. I have a 30 year old Audio Technica mic and another Samson mic. Both with the "standard" 1/4" jacks. Geez, I think I have a few Radio Shack 49.00 mics too.
I was looking on ebay for both the mic and Mic Port. Only found the mic itself. I'm wondering if maybe just better off going new with the mic though.
By the way Emmett, if you want to hear a sample of what I think is kinda a megaphone sound, post me you email or email me direct at jfergus1@tampabay.rr.com

You guys are great help!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 23, 2008 at 2:24:57 pm

Well Guys, based on your recomendations, I've ordered both the Mic Port Pro and the SM57! Please don't tell me the voice on the sample sounded fine! LOL!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 23, 2008 at 7:58:16 pm

I've never spoken to anyone that regretted buying an SM57. They hold value extremely well too, so if you want to sell it in a year or two, you'll still be able to sell it on eBay for a decent amount. They sound great and they last forever. I know of at least a couple of commercially released albums that used an SM57 on vocals. It's not common, but it does happen. I guarantee no one ever used your Samson on a commercial release. Let us know what you think!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 28, 2008 at 9:34:27 pm

Hey Guys... Got the SM57 and MicPort today. In a word, WOW!
I just had to test things imediately and without voice went in and did a bit and a MAJOR difference. The sound is so full and rich! A couple of things I see are that I really need to either boost the gain on the micport to about 75% or after the recording boost the vocal volume in Audition about 15db. I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong? Also with the Samson in Vista Control Panel/Sound/Recording/I had a "Levels" tab and "Advanced" tab. I could adjust the mic gain there. I do not have that tab now assuming it's because the micport has the dial? In the Advanced tab drop down box where you select the sample ratem the only options are 1 channel, 24 bit, 44100 Hz (Studio Quality),96000 Hz (Studio Quality) and just 96000 Hz. It was defaulted to 96000 Hz. I've tried the other but it says not supported. Still all 1 channel, although in Audition when playback it plays 2 channel.
My main concern is the if I'm using the correct word, the gain is so low.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 28, 2008 at 9:35:54 pm

I forgot to add that I did press the phantom power button on the bottom with no change so I left it off.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 29, 2008 at 4:30:46 am

Yes, the gain is low with dynamic mics on the MicPort Pro. There isn't much you can do about it. There should be a switch on the device to 44100. You'll just have to boost the gain from inside Audition after you record. This isn't ideal, but it should still be much better than what you were previously using.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 29, 2008 at 1:24:25 pm

Thanks for replying Emmett. Ok, no problem. As long as it wasn't something I was doing wrong!
When you say, "There should be a switch on the device to 44100" On the bottom is the button that says 48v 24/96.
I tested with it on and off and no difference. Do you think I should use it in the on position still?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 29, 2008 at 2:36:16 pm

Signal tp noise ratio is so important when recording audio this is why a good mic pre is a must ... When you boost your gain you may get some noise but you should be able to remove it by capturing "JUST THE NOISE" and saving that as a FFT then using it on the whole file ... You should be setting your session settings on 441 the sample rate on the mic isn't an issue .............. WILLIE

incidental poet

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 30, 2008 at 12:38:27 am

I believe Audition would be the slave for the wordclock in the Micport, which is why it would only allow for 96k. Somewhere on the unit should be a switch...Or in the software that came with it (if any did). If the sample rates don't lock, you will get really, really awful recordings...How low is the gain? If you record at 32-bit float, you will eliminate many of the noise floor issues because your digital floor will be at -144dB instead of -96dB. You will have to convert later, but it's probably worth it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 30, 2008 at 12:38:40 am

I believe Audition would be the slave for the wordclock in the Micport, which is why it would only allow for 96k. Somewhere on the unit should be a switch...Or in the software that came with it (if any did). If the sample rates don't lock, you will get really, really awful recordings...How low is the gain? If you record at 32-bit float, you will eliminate many of the noise floor issues because your digital floor will be at -144dB instead of -96dB. You will have to convert later, but it's probably worth it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 4, 2008 at 4:33:04 am

Oh my. This is where I expose myself as possibly waaayyy over my head. I'm going to re read both you and Willie's last posts and see if I can decipher them. I may end up just going back to me ear :(

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]