Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
HDV FORMAT:HDV Format ForumTutorialsApple FCP ForumAdobe Premiere Pro ForumSony Vegas Forum

What is my screening format?

COW Forums : HDV Format

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Per Olsson What is my screening format?
by on Jun 15, 2010 at 10:07:09 pm

Hi!

Im going to send a film into a filmfestival and Im a bit confused of which is my screeningformat? I can choose between the following screening formats:
4:3
16:9 Letterbox
16:9 Anamorphic

Ive been shooting it with a Canon HV30 with this format:

Frame size:
1440x1080
Vid Rate
25 fps
Compressor
HDV1080i50
Pixel Aspect:
HD (1440x1080)
Audio format
16-bit integer
Audio Rate
48 Khz[/QUOTE]

Then Ive been exporting it and burning it to DVD that looks like this in myDVDedit:
coding mode: mpeg-2
Standard: PAL
Resolution: 720x576
Aspect: 16:9 letterbox
Bitrate: VBR

So my question is simply:
which is my format?

and what is the difference between 16:9 Letterbox and 16:9 Anamorphic

maybe a stupid question but Im a bit confused here and dont want to write the wrong thing

thanks

Perik

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jayasri HartRe: What is my screening format?
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 4:39:14 am

According to your specs, your 16x9 HD frame is being exported from your edit system as "letterboxed" SD. So far as I know, mpeg-2 coding for DVD is always SD--and your festival screener choices suggest that they are accepting only SD encoding. There are two ways to fit the 16x9 frame into a 4x3 aspect ratio--the anamorphic squeezes the 1440 to 720 and unsqueezes it in projection. Therefore, no black borders. Letterboxing reduces 1440 to 720 and adds black borders top and bottom to make up the difference in height. If you can export anamorphic, you will have a larger frame to project.

Jayasri Hart
HARTFILMS
Los Angeles, USA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Per OlssonRe: What is my screening format?
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 5:04:33 pm

shall say also that the DVD Im submitting is just for preview porpose. if the film is qualified they want it in betacam. I havnt remade it for betacam yet. can I choose letterbox or anamorphic later in that process through final cut?

so you think its best to submit in anamorphic Betacam? how do I flag it as anamorphic then? in myDVDedit I only got these alternatives:
4:3
16:9
16:9 auto Pan&scan
16:9 auto letterbox
16:9 auto Pan&scan and letterbox

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jayasri HartRe: What is my screening format?
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 6:45:47 pm

Betacam or Digital Betacam is still standard definition. Also, you will not be encoding mpeg-2 in DVDedit for Betacam or Digibeta, you will do a PAL video output to a video recorder from FCP. I am in NTSC country, so I hesitate to offer you further advice. This is what I would do. I would send my auto-letterboxed DVD for preview and say I will have an anamorphic exhibition copy. If the film is selected, talk to the festival organizers. They are interested in getting the best picture and sound for their audience and can even direct you to a place that will do a good hardware-based downconversion.

Jayasri Hart
HARTFILMS
Los Angeles, USA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]