Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
HDV FORMAT:HDV Format ForumTutorialsApple FCP ForumAdobe Premiere Pro ForumSony Vegas Forum

Weird!! Sony HDV tapes not working in an FX-1!

COW Forums : HDV Format

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Christopher WalkerWeird!! Sony HDV tapes not working in an FX-1!
by on Oct 29, 2008 at 6:32:00 pm

So a client came in with some Sony HDV/DV tapes (the white ones with the plum-colored top) and they will not play back in our FX-1s. When "Play" is presed, it comes up with a message saying, "Change to correct tape format." However, when I hold down the fast-forward button, I can see the video as it scrubs through. I've tried changing settings and such, but to no avail. Any help?

//fussbudget. more c4 for the kids...//

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Douglas Spotted EagleRe: Weird!! Sony HDV tapes not working in an FX-1!
by on Oct 29, 2008 at 6:59:19 pm

Are the tapes HDV? Or SD? If SD, were they recorded as DVCAM? If HDV, were they recorded on a Sony HDV camera? Or Canon/JVC?
what format is on the tape?

Douglas Spotted Eagle
VASST

Certified Sony Vegas Trainer
Aerial Camera/Instructor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christopher WalkerRe: Weird!! Sony HDV tapes not working in an FX-1!
by on Oct 29, 2008 at 7:15:13 pm

Okay. Here's the text on the tape:

DIGITAL HD VIDEO
for HDV/DV
MiniDV
ME-DVM63
Sony

The client just said he used an HD or HDV camera to shoot. It's coverage of an NAACP banquet and my boss wants to put it on our community awareness program if it's of adequate quality.

//fussbudget. more c4 for the kids...//

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Zane BarkerRe: Weird!! Sony HDV tapes not working in an FX-1!
by on Oct 31, 2008 at 5:35:31 pm

Are you saying they are sony brand tapes?

Just because they are sony brand tapes does not mean that they were used in a sony camera. They may nave been used in a camera that records to a format that the FX1 cannot read. Even if they were recorded in a sony camera, they may have been recorded in a newer sony camera then yours that records in a newer different format.

Find out the model of the camera and the recording settings.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff PuleraRe: Weird!! Sony HDV tapes not working in an FX-1!
by on Nov 3, 2008 at 6:28:31 pm

In other words, your camera only plays 60i (29.97 interlaced)footage, and the tape may have been recorded in 24p or 30p (progressive) mode and the FX-1 has no idea how to interpret it, it does not have that playback capability

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rob RothkopfRe: Weird!! Sony HDV tapes not working in an FX-1!
by on Apr 3, 2011 at 1:46:23 am

I just recorded an event using a Sony Z5U. The camera was set to 1080i but also set to record in 30p (I couldn't figure out why it would matter if I recorded it as 30p or 60i, and in ignorance thought they would be pretty much identical).

Anyhow, now I'm trying to load this footage using my FX7 and I'm getting that same error ("change to correct tape format").

grrrrrr.... so would there have been a visual difference if I recorded it at 60i instead of 30p?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Zane BarkerRe: Weird!! Sony HDV tapes not working in an FX-1!
by on Apr 3, 2011 at 5:23:43 am

First off rob it is not good to post your own question on someone else's question thread, you should post a NEW thread.

[Rob Rothkopf] "The camera was set to 1080i but also set to record in 30p"

NOT POSSIBLE. A camera cannot be set to record 1080i and 30p at the same time. The i for interlaced and p for progressive cannot co exist, it is ether one or the other. Perhaps it is 1080p at 30fps.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rob RothkopfRe: Weird!! Sony HDV tapes not working in an FX-1!
by on Apr 4, 2011 at 3:08:53 pm

>First off rob it is not good to post your own
>question on someone else's question thread, you
>should post a NEW thread.

Hey Zane -- I know your intent is good, but I've been posting on forums "successfully" for the last 25 years and don't need the poke on form. I posted it on his thread because we both were getting the same error message so it seemed relevant (and possibly helpful) to anyone searching.

> [Rob Rothkopf] "The camera was set to 1080i but also
> set to record in 30p"
> NOT POSSIBLE. A camera cannot be set to record 1080i and 30p at the > same time. The i for interlaced and p for progressive cannot
> coexist, it is ether one or the other. Perhaps it is 1080p at 30fps.

Ah.. my bad. It seems that Sony (at least in their literature, and logically this makes sense) dropped the "i" in their terminology and just call it "1080", leaving the "i/p" for the sub-recording settings (60i, 30p, 24p, etc).

Funny, we're talking about the "i", when the camera's name implies it's all about the "u". This is strangly sounding rather zen. ;-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]