Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
HDV FORMAT:HDV Format ForumTutorialsApple FCP ForumAdobe Premiere Pro ForumSony Vegas Forum

First Time HDV user has questions.

COW Forums : HDV Format

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sam Lesante Jr.First Time HDV user has questions.
by on Jan 30, 2007 at 4:30:35 pm

Hi Fellow Cows,

Some things on my mind about JVC HDV and I wanted to know if anyone else had these same problems and what was done to remedy it.

I have been shooting with my DVCPRO AJ-SD615p for years and decided to go hdv now.

I just bought 3 JVC GY-HD200 cameras. 2 have not come yet but I am using the one and here are some of my problems.

I am shooting in dv mode since we do not (but will soon hopefully) have an HD editing system.

I am noticing that;

1. The video quality does not look as crisp and the colors do not "pop" as much as the DVCPRO does.

2. I also notice that the factory lense that came with the JVC does not allow me to shoot as wide as I was able to with the DVCPRO and it looks a little blurry when I shoot a wide shot.

3. Finally, it also seems as though I need more light just to get a decent shot. With my DVCPRO, I could tape someone from a pretty good distance with just an ultralight on the camera, iris up a bit and it was good. With the JVC, I shoot the same distance, put on the same light, and I have to jack the gain up to 9db just to get a good shot.

Now I've been reading the posts on here and I am aware that the JVC has a 1/3" chip and the DVCPRO has a 1/2" chip which may answer why I have light issues and wide shot issues, and I do remember someone stating that the lense looks a little soft when it's wide.

So what are some remedies for me to get my JVC dv video looking as good as my DVCPRO video?

My rep. told me I need a wide angle adaptor, which I bought and am waiting for. But what about the rest? I am also told that where the JVC excels is in HD mode. So do I have to grin and bear it until I get an HD system?

Sorry for the long post?

TIA

Sam

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

epontiusRe: First Time HDV user has questions.
by on Jan 30, 2007 at 7:34:47 pm

Haven't used the JVC, but I've used the Sony Z1 quite a bit. The Z1 has a downconvert to SD option. We shoot everything in HDV, then capture SD over firewire for SD post. The Sony has options to do a squeeze (keeping 16x9) or edge crop (4x3 keeping vertical rez). The SD DV footage looks quite a bit better than SD DV shot with say a Sony PD170. Does the JVC have a similar option in camera for doing a downconvert?

I've noticed as well with the Sony Z1 that I end up having to throw a lot more light than I used to with the PD170...not sure if this is just the nature of the technology since you are seeing similar with the JVC.

Erik

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Blast1Re: First Time HDV user has questions.
by on Jan 30, 2007 at 8:26:54 pm

[epontius] "I've noticed as well with the Sony Z1 that I end up having to throw a lot more light than I used to with the PD170...not sure if this is just the nature of the technology since you are seeing similar with the JVC."
The HDV cams are using the same dimension chip but with more pixels so the pixels are smaller, Smaller pixels equal less light gathered per unit for a given field of view, as resolution increases brightness decreases every thing else being equal.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Post removed.

YoyodyneRe: First Time HDV user has questions.
by on Jan 30, 2007 at 9:26:47 pm

I've shot a bunch with the JVC HD100 (oh man, would love to have the

200 you lucky dog) - I agree in DV mode it looks about as a good as a

decent 1/2 inch DV cam, in some cases not as good.

You really need to be working in HD to let the camera shine. As a DV

cam it has the disadvantage of being light hungry (because of all

those little HD pixels) and the stock lens is o.k. - but it's not very

wide and is a bit soft at the wide end (as you've mentioned). A wide

angle adapter will help solve the "wide" issue & there are a bunch of

lens options for the camera, some of which cost more than the camera

:) The better glass makes a big difference in sharpness compared to

the stock lens from what I have read.

Also check out the HZ CA13U adpter JVC has just come out with. It's a

PL mount adapter that mounts right to the JVC and allows you to use

16mm lenses, zooms, primes - some really high end glass. The best

thing is that the adapter keeps the field of view and the depth of