Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
HDV FORMAT:HDV Format ForumTutorialsApple FCP ForumAdobe Premiere Pro ForumSony Vegas Forum

Post Production workflow of the JVC GY-HD100?

COW Forums : HDV Format

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Brian MillsPost Production workflow of the JVC GY-HD100?
by on Apr 1, 2006 at 12:06:19 am

I am about to renter the prosumer HD world and was NOT hapy with the FX1. So now I am seriously considering the Panny HVX or the JVC. But FCP does not yet support JVC's form of HDV. Has anyone heard if the future release will? How are you HD100 users editing now (which software platforms)? Is there an intermediary plug-in fix like Lumiere? I need Mac solution/workflow ideas. Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thomas JamesRe: Post Production workflow of the JVC GY-HD100?
by on Apr 1, 2006 at 1:46:36 am

Check the Final Cut Pro booth at NAB 2006 to see when they will support the JVC HD-100. In the meantime it seems that only the PC users can edit JVC 24p without extensive workarounds. And concerning the diehard Sony 1080i users I wish these Sony users could get their hands on a Sony CineAlta 24p high definition camcorder so they could get first hand experience with working with true progressive footage with a brand name they can trust.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim KolbRe: Post Production workflow of the JVC GY-HD100?
by on Apr 1, 2006 at 3:14:17 am

[Thomas James] "And concerning the diehard Sony 1080i users I wish these Sony users could get their hands on a Sony CineAlta 24p high definition camcorder so they could get first hand experience with working with true progressive footage with a brand name they can trust."

Whoa Thomas...easy boy. Not everyone needs a $30K (with lense I assume) camera...

The Sony HDV camcorders are out there doing work...you can like it or not, but nobody is forced to own one...

XDcam HD looks like a good option...but Thompson's Infinity does promise a little competition with a superior codec and 4:2:2 color sampling...now if the data disks hold up, they'll have a winner.

HDcam is just simply priced for premium projects and I think in 3 years, there will be largely HDcam SR users and XDcam HD users. I suspect that HDcam will fade out as it isn't the top of the quality spectrum and it isn't designed to be cost-effective for the mid-level user either.

NAB will be interesting as there are a few more developments on the way as well...

TimK,

Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Derek Antonio SerraRe: Post Production workflow of the JVC GY-HD100?
by on Apr 1, 2006 at 5:49:18 am

For documentary production I find the Sony Z1/FX1 and A1 perfectly suited to my budget, while providing that "reality" look which is ideal for broadcast. The Sony camera's are relatively easy to use in typical documentary situations as apposed to the HD100, which really requires an experienced DOP for optimum results. As an independent filmmaker who often has to direct, shoot and edit his own documentaries, there's beating the Sony cameras at this stage. A diehard is generally a person who stubbornly persists to hold an unpopular, minority opinion on an issue regardless of evidence to the contrary. I think that if anything it is Thomas James who is the diehard here, not the 200 000+ Sony HDV users.

Derek Antonio Serra
Filmmaker
http://www.controversifilms.co.za
http://www.indv.co.za

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

EdRe: Post Production workflow of the JVC GY-HD100?
by on Apr 1, 2006 at 6:32:48 pm

I wouldn't call it an extensive workaround to use Lumiere Thomas. But I'd call it a pretty safe bet that FCP will include JVC support
soon.
http://www.lumierehd.com/
Ed

[Thomas James] "Check the Final Cut Pro booth at NAB 2006 to see when they will support the JVC HD-100. In the meantime it seems that only the PC users can edit JVC 24p without extensive workarounds."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

BorjisRe: Post Production workflow of the JVC GY-HD100?
by on Apr 3, 2006 at 4:14:36 pm

I have the JVC HD100 and I'm very pleased with its performance for the price point.

In our workflow here we capture 30P HDV or DV via firewire then output the final product as uncompressed 10-bit.

We don't shoot at 24p yet since fcp does not yet support it. a few weeks ago one of our shooters accidentally recorded in 24p. The best workaround I found was to capture it as anamorphic 4:2:2 through the component outputs, which puts out a 60p or 60i signal.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

TimRe: Post Production workflow of the JVC GY-HD100?
by on Apr 3, 2006 at 10:32:53 pm

I am with Borjis...I just shoot all in 30 frames for now...but really...is there any reason to shoot in 24p unless you are going to transfer to film? If you want a film look run a good filter on it after the fact.

I am an odd one that would rather have the clean field footage and do whatever I want in post.

I have had great results with my HD100...the quality is phenomenal.

It is not a run-and-gun camera...it is more for those instances where you have a lot of control over situations, but I did shoot a local football game for a good test of light levels handling and the various shutter speeds and it out performed my expectations. It really handled it well.

Tim Baker
Chameleon Mobile Video Productions
(239)849-3295
"It is not the light at the end of the tunnel that we should seek...it is the courage to take the next step in the dark that we must find."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

brianluceRe: Post Production workflow of the JVC GY-HD100?
by on Apr 5, 2006 at 5:06:23 am

"The best workaround I found was to capture it as anamorphic 4:2:2 through the component outputs, which puts out a 60p or 60i signal. "
borjis

So it captures only slo motion via component? does that also mean no audio info is captured?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]