Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
HDV FORMAT:HDV Format ForumTutorialsApple FCP ForumAdobe Premiere Pro ForumSony Vegas Forum

hdv deinterlacing in camera

COW Forums : HDV Format

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
tobias cortshdv deinterlacing in camera
by on Feb 23, 2006 at 1:14:10 pm

i am going to shoot next week with the z1 /hdv sony.my biggest problem with this camera always was that its not working in 25p. we are shooting a lot of re-inactments so the look of 25p is much more desired! the problem is that the company has there own z1.
today i read an article in which they say that you can have an deinterlaced picture/ equal to a post-production-de-interlaced picture simply by shooting with the shutter on 1/25.
is it really so easy?does anyone else ever test this option?
its a big decision for me...i am responsible for the look of all the follow ups also...and i really would love to shoot deinterlaced.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adlan EstemirRe: hdv deinterlacing in camera
by on Feb 23, 2006 at 3:20:56 pm

Yes, in a way it will result in deinterlaced picture since two following fields would be the same but you will get strobing picture especially when there is movement. I also wondered this some time ago and found out it can not be used most of the times. 1/25 shutter is not convenient(too slow-1/50 is reasonable most of the times but then no progressive picture). You can use Cineframe modes in the camera and get some kind of progressive picture but lose resolution. The best way is to transfer to and deinterlace in the computer.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ken HodsonRe: hdv deinterlacing in camera
by on Feb 23, 2006 at 8:16:24 pm

Shooting Cineframe 25 would be much desired over shooting with a slow, slow shutter!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thomas JamesRe: hdv deinterlacing in camera
by on Feb 23, 2006 at 10:21:24 pm

Deinterlacing flat out doesn't work. If you try to deinterlace in post your footage will always look converted. If you want to shoot real progressive shoot in a progressive format to begin with. You can achieve good progressive like footage if you shoot using CF25. Of course your footage won't be as sharp as 1080i but if a progressive look is what you are after your footage will look nice even if your vertical resolution is only 540 lines. Remember your horizontal resolution is still the same so all and all your video will still look plenty sharp. And also remember that your video will look less compressed.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Graeme NattressRe: hdv deinterlacing in camera
by on Feb 23, 2006 at 11:12:26 pm

[Thomas James] "Deinterlacing flat out doesn't work. " So, how does in camera de-interlacing work then? You say: [Thomas James] "You can achieve good progressive like footage if you shoot using CF25"

De-interlacing in post can and does work very well. Indeed, this gives excellent options as 50i will slomo much nicer 50% than the fake 25p will, and a good de-interlace will give more than 540 lines resolution that the CF25 mode does! Shooting interlace on the Z1U doesn't remove options, and indeed gives you more options in post than any of the built in fake progressive modes.

Graeme

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

tobias cortsRe: hdv deinterlacing in camera
by on Feb 23, 2006 at 11:22:21 pm

thank you very much everyone.i also talked to some postproduction companys around germany and they all tend to the post version of de-interlacing.
so i have to stick to the good old way,unfortunately;-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Uli PlankRe: hdv deinterlacing in camera
by on Feb 24, 2006 at 3:20:08 pm

Hi Tobias,

I can only second what Graeme says. If you try my recommendations for de-interlacing with FieldsKit (free article in German on http://www.finalcutpro.de) you'll see the difference in quality.

Have fun,

Uli

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 24, 2006 at 3:26:51 pm

Uli, I'd love to have you take a look at my new de-interlacer in FinalTouch! It's the best I've done yet.

Graeme

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2006 at 1:30:54 pm

Hi Graeme,

unfortunately I don't have Final Touch. Are you adapting this deinterlacer for Motion too?

BTW, your re-design of the site looks great!

Best regards,

Uli

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2006 at 2:13:32 pm

I will be adapting it for Motion in the future.

Graeme

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2006 at 12:07:44 pm

hi uli,
went through all the pages and forums on final cut, but couldn`t find your article;-(
please help it`s very important, because we start soon with the postproduction and at the moment we are using the smart-deinterlacer device...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2006 at 12:51:04 pm

Here you go:

http://www.final-cut-pro.de/stage/_inhalte/berichte/016_hdv_zu_sd.shtml

Hope this helps, but give Graeme's filter a try too,

Uli

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 3, 2006 at 2:16:41 pm

thank you for the quick support!will hand your information forward to my post house...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

LoadedfilmsRe: hdv deinterlacing in camera
by on May 23, 2006 at 7:16:05 am

I am shooting a lot of current affairs documentaries, and i often use a de-interlacer, plus a 2nd full resolution layer of the same footage, but with a low opacity, like 30% - which has worked decently well, but is a bit time consuming for tight turn around projects. Now, I'm starting to use a Sony Z1P (pal version of Z1U), and i don't mind the look of Cineframe25, but i'm often going to be shooting in SD - because on a tight deadline there's no time for down-converting 25 hours of footage shot in the field, and the network is primarily still an SD operation. Anybody know what the resolution comes out like when shooting SD in CF25? I know that you lose about 30% resolution in HD, is it the same in SD?

Thanks

-Aaron

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 23, 2006 at 3:38:54 pm

Alan Roberts from the BBC reports severe downsampling issue with the Sony cameras, and suggests shooting HDV and either using a broadcast hardware downconverter, or doing it with good software in post.

Graeme

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 23, 2006 at 4:26:01 pm

I can only confirm this from our research at IMF, downsampling in the camcorder doesn't use the full potential of your HDV footage.

Best regards,

Uli

Author of "DVDs gestalten und produzieren", a book on professional DVD-authoring in German.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]