Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
HDV FORMAT:HDV Format ForumTutorialsApple FCP ForumAdobe Premiere Pro ForumSony Vegas Forum

Depth of Field on Z1

COW Forums : HDV Format

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Mark ManessDepth of Field on Z1
by on Dec 14, 2005 at 9:42:28 pm

I am a long-time cinematographer and I frequently shoot with a Sony XD-Cam and am able to achieve a film-like look by using telephoto and ND filters to achieve a narrow depth of field on interview segments that air on two national outdoor shows that I shoot and produce.

However....I have recently been shooting with the Sony Z1 HDV cameras on some segments. I think the cameras look great in their Cinemaframe 30 mode, but I am having trouble getting the depth of field narrow enough to achieve anything near the same look. Is anyone else having the same experience, and have you solved the issue.

Thanks-

Mark Maness

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: Depth of Field on Z1
by on Dec 14, 2005 at 9:56:25 pm

Mark,

Everyone has this issue. You can shoot wide open with a long lens and put your subject far away from the BG and its still sharp. Some cameramen have resorted to using canvas photo backdrops that are intentionally created in soft focus in order to create the illusion of shallow depth of field.

DRW

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark ManessRe: Depth of Field on Z1
by on Dec 14, 2005 at 10:14:18 pm

David,

Thanks for the heads up. I thought I had tried everything I knew, I just wanted to know if I've missed something. I really like the images from this camera. With the exception of the depth of field issue and some color banding in extreme color gradients (sunset, sunrise), I think that it's a super camera for the money. Oh, well...I guess you can't have everthing....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Max KaiserRe: Depth of Field on Z1
by on Dec 15, 2005 at 12:08:25 am

Also, try using macro diopters (I think that is what they are called..). I just used these to great effect on a few commercials. They work exceptionally well in med. close ups. However, beware of them if you want them for HD work. You will see a noticeable degradation in the image with them. My stuff is all going to SD and I couldn't see anything but nice, shallow depth-of-field with that. Maybe a bit of curvature at the edges, but it still is a handy tool.

Max

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

CamafeRe: Depth of Field on Z1
by on Dec 15, 2005 at 1:21:25 pm

I

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: Depth of Field on Z1
by on Dec 15, 2005 at 3:01:09 pm

These are large canvas panels made primarily for still photographers. They typically have mottled blotches of color, but some are evidently shot with a camera and then defocused, then painted on the canvas mechancially.

Hope this helps...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

CamafeRe: Depth of Field on Z1
by on Dec 15, 2005 at 5:42:24 pm

Ok. I understand, but not very usable for me.
I will try to use ND + Polarizer + ... and shoot with a BIT of tele, work on the limit to get a bit of Bkg out of focus.

Does the telephoto lens that we can apply will improve the situation ?

Camafe

Win 2K * Targa 3000 * 8x 34G SCSI Raid 0

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Postal BoyRe: Depth of Field on Z1
by on Dec 16, 2005 at 7:43:33 pm

Someone in another forum mentioned that for a more shallow DOF you can use a higher shutter speed instead of a ND filter to help open up the lense all the way, and they said it gave them a better effect. You may want to see how shutter speed instead of ND works for you.

-Postal

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

shooterRe: Depth of Field on Z1
by on Dec 21, 2005 at 12:58:46 pm

F-stop is all that matters in depth of field. You can use ND or shutter to get wide open and achieve the same result.

All this is a matter of physics. The 'problem' is the imager size. The smaller the imager the more depth of field you will get. The 1/3" imager on the HDV camera or on the DV camera or any camera gives a very deep depth of field. Conversely, an 8 X 10 view camera really fights getting any depth of field. This is one of the main parts of the 'look' of shooting 35mm and also a result of shooting with the mini 35 adapter.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim KolbRe: Depth of Field on Z1
by on Dec 28, 2005 at 2:07:09 pm

Shooter said it...

I would also caution anyone who decides that using shutter speed is a quicker solution to this than ND...beware the frame definition and lack of motion blur that will result from using high shutter.

...if you want a "film" aesthetic, it's not only the restricted depth-of-field, it's also having some motion blur from having each video frame "expose" as long as possible.

TimK,

Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter